Become a Patron!

Clapton issues

So I tried my hand at making some Clapton wire today (24g N80 x 36g n80) and it went incredibly well. Aside from when I went to wrap the coil, the outside wire kept springing out and spacing out. Any tips or tricks as to fixing this? I've heard torching your wire helps with springy-ness. I'm just confused bc I've bought pre-built Clapton wire spools and never had said problems.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One thing I do is bend the ends so the outer wire can't move. Once I wrapped the coil and cut it to pre load size I didn't have the problem. I made SS claptons but I don't think it really matters. BTW, same thing happened with the first one I tried to wrap. The others no issue after bending the ends.

Someone else probably has a better suggestion.

One thing I do is bend the ends so the outer wire can't move. Once I wrapped the coil and cut it to pre load size I didn't have the problem. I made SS claptons but I don't think it really matters. BTW, same thing happened with the first one I tried to wrap. The others no issue after bending the ends.

Someone else probably has a better suggestion.

I actually did this with the Clapton once I finished it. But when I cut it to do my second coil was we're I had the problem. Plus, when I wrapped it the outside wire kinda spaced out on the core. I managed to get it wrapped, I just couldn't pull very hard when I did my wraps.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Another tip is use smaller gauge with 2 cores (fused) my favorite is 2x26 or 2x28 / 38+ for the outer. Fused not being round holds on to the outer wraps better.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I actually did this with the Clapton once I finished it. But when I cut it to do my second coil was we're I had the problem. Plus, when I wrapped it the outside wire kinda spaced out on the core. I managed to get it wrapped, I just couldn't pull very hard when I did my wraps.
I had to bend the ends after each coil. I wrapped the coil, doing spaced tc coils, squeezed for spacing, cut, bent. Then I made another coil. The wire I made was only like 12 inches long and I was wrapping by hand so I could control it.

Last edited:

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I tried my hand at making some Clapton wire today (24g N80 x 36g n80) and it went incredibly well. Aside from when I went to wrap the coil, the outside wire kept springing out and spacing out. Any tips or tricks as to fixing this? I've heard torching your wire helps with springy-ness. I'm just confused bc I've bought pre-built Clapton wire spools and never had said problems.
Backtrack the 36 at the beginning by the chuck before you clapton the length and at the end run the 36 off the core, it will cut itself off when it reaches the end. If you do that the wrap and core are stuck together

VU Sponsors