Become a Patron!

Cleaner/Steeper....

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I am looking to buy something for cleaning and steeping. I am going to start making my own juice. I have seen threads on ultrasonic cleaners but do they steep as well? I have about $100 I can spend on this machine so which would be best to get? Do I need anything besides the machine?

Thanks in advance for replies :)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In my experience nothing beats time for proper aging of a juice. Time and a lot of hand shaking lead to juices aged to perfection. In my experience, heat steeping can lead to flavor fade and muting of some flavors. As far as cleaning, I treat my "vape dishes" the same as my kitchen dishes. They get a nice soak on hot, soapy Dawn water with a capful of bleach and a scalding hot water rinse. After that, I run mine through a baby bottle sterilizer and then air dry on baby bottle drying racks (saves counter space).
That being said, there are members who swear by crock pot steeping. On the low setting, the water will reach approximately 150 degrees. With the lid cocked and caps on glass bottles, with a periodic shake, this is said to speed the aging time. Some here use ultrasonic cleaners with heat. This heats and vibrates the bottles to speed the aging process.
There have been several different methods for speed-steeping and cleaning posted in the forum, from taping bottles to sawzalls to carrying juices in your pocket for a day, and also leaving them on the dash of a hot car, but in my personal experience, nothing tastes better than time.

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
In my experience nothing beats time for proper aging of a juice. Time and a lot of hand shaking lead to juices aged to perfection. In my experience, heat steeping can lead to flavor fade and muting of some flavors. As far as cleaning, I treat my "vape dishes" the same as my kitchen dishes. They get a nice soak on hot, soapy Dawn water with a capful of bleach and a scalding hot water rinse. After that, I run mine through a baby bottle sterilizer and then air dry on baby bottle drying racks (saves counter space).
That being said, there are members who swear by crock pot steeping. On the low setting, the water will reach approximately 150 degrees. With the lid cocked and caps on glass bottles, with a periodic shake, this is said to speed the aging time. Some here use ultrasonic cleaners with heat. This heats and vibrates the bottles to speed the aging process.
There have been several different methods for speed-steeping and cleaning posted in the forum, from taping bottles to sawzalls to carrying juices in your pocket for a day, and also leaving them on the dash of a hot car, but in my personal experience, nothing tastes better than time.

Thanks for the info. I am a very impatient person lolol. Time is NOT my friend. Especially if I am making my own for the first time....I don't want to wait to try it lol. But, I have a good stock to keep me going until my homebrew ages. How long is the aging process? I am sticking to single flavor mixes for now until I learn more about what I am doing....

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Single flavors really don't need aging to me. Maybe overnight to "mingle" with the pg, vg, and nic, but most single mixes are good as shake and vape.
Different types of flavoring take different aging times. Fruits are almost always shake and vape. Creams and custards can take weeks, as well as tobaccos. In my experience, the more complex the mix, the longer it takes to properly age.
I'm impatient too! If I know something needs time, I try to just toss it in the desk drawer and forget about it. Since I have a terrible memory, this usually works out pretty well....lol!

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Single flavors really don't need aging to me. Maybe overnight to "mingle" with the pg, vg, and nic, but most single mixes are good as shake and vape.
Different types of flavoring take different aging times. Fruits are almost always shake and vape. Creams and custards can take weeks, as well as tobaccos. In my experience, the more complex the mix, the longer it takes to properly age.
I'm impatient too! If I know something needs time, I try to just toss it in the desk drawer and forget about it. Since I have a terrible memory, this usually works out pretty well....lol!

That's really good news as fruits are the only thing I vape!!!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For the impatient DIY'er like myself the Mixer and heating to 140 or so for up to an hour allows for shaking a few times while it cools and Vaping in 3 to 4 hours tops. I have even done it faster. No problems with oxidation or color changes even when some sit for a few weeks before it is time to mix up more.

Works great for me and Good Luck to you!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Of course we always have the "tape-it-to-the-cat" method by @Shark Vape .....LOL!!

4KjrWmn.gif

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I got the $80 ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight. They have a small one for <$40, don't remember the exact price. But from the size of the box it's really small. The bigger one is about 12oz sixpack size inside. Been using it for a lot more than just cleaning vape related stuff, it's one of those things that makes you wonder how you got along without it before, it's just sooo easy. It has a heat feature and the water gets warm, but I don't know if the ultrasonic function would actually mix the juice. I'll have to give it a try next time I'm mixing.

For mixing/shaking I use this. DSC_0001.png
Sawz All (reciprocating saw) will have your juice in a froth in under a minute. Bar clamp riveted on a shortened blade. I have heard that some just hose clamp the bottle to the blade.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
nothing tastes better than time.

There's a fella on a different forum that makes A LOT of juice. He has spent many Thousands of $$ on homogenizers.

He too states there is nothing better than time. Sure, other mixing methods ~work~, but, IMHO Shake & Wait is the way to go for the Best juice.

Ron
---
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."- Isaac Newton

VU Sponsors