Become a Patron!

cleaning coils

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Want to get some ideas on how and how often you clean coils.I normally dry burn and rewick every other day. I don't know if its to much or not.how much do you clean coils.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I clean my coils when they start looking alittle nasty. Usually a few days. I just take the wick out and pulse the coils till they are hot and dip them in water. I do it a couple times per coil and they look like new. Rewick and your ready to go.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When I dip mine in water they never seam to come out completely clean they are a little grey looking. But it brings the flavor back

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is how I clean my coils:

It's much, much easier on the atomizer's insulator than a straight dry burn. It's easier on the wire also: cleaned this way, my Ni200 coils can withstand about 10 cleaning cycles before failing, and my kanthal coils about 15.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

It's much, much easier on the atomizer's insulator than a straight dry burn. It's easier on the wire also: cleaned this way, my Ni200 coils can withstand about 10 cleaning cycles before failing, and my kanthal coils about 15.
Looks like the same general idea.....I mean to me it does

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Pretty much the same as everyone here. I get em glowing and whack em under running water, shake the water off and repeat a couple times. Then re-adjust if needed. Claptons and twisted/helix wires like to gunk up on me pretty good and it works wonderfully on them. I'll usually toss them out and put on a fresh build when they gunk up a second time. I don't think i've ever cleaned a pair of coils more than once, they don't perform as well for me after 4 or 5 days

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Twisted coils I clean 2 maybe 3 times then its in the box as back up.......my wife calls me "The Coil Keeper" I keep all of my old coils.......I find it hard to just throw away something that I put so much time into.I enjoy coil building and am kinda OCD about them.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do the usual burn and dunk method and when reside gets really stubborn around the little nooks and crannies I break out these brushes.
They are for air brush nozzles but work great on coils too.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I do the usual burn and dunk method and when reside gets really stubborn around the little nooks and crannies I break out these brushes.
They are for air brush nozzles but work great on coils too.
Does it help your coils last longer? If so I may have to pick up a set.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure,..it's more of a OCD thing with me. You know, being through when time permits.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I always use a running faucet, who'd a thunk hot water in a glass? Lol. New procedure. I can see how this is easier on the insulators. I could never do that with a regulated mod, though.

It's good to see that you can clean Ni200 coils this way. I have a couple builds, and I just re-coiled the last one when I changed wicks. I tried scraping at it a bit, too, worked ok. Was thinking I was gonna be rebuilding each time I re wick with Ni200.

dingo1799

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ive been pretty lucky so far, my adv's are pretty clean burning juices. i dry burn til they glow, hit em with water when theyre red hot, dry burn, rewick and go on about my business every other day or so, or whenever i see the color of the snow white rayon starting to go to crap. i keep a chemical wash bottle full of water at my vape cave desk for washing coils and attys out, so its just a matter of reaching over, and hovering over the trash can to clean coils. pinpoint precision tip so you dont get water anywhere you dont want it. best $8 for 3 i ever spent. 150 sigelei and hana boxes dont get any special treatment either. just hold them upside down, water cant flow uphill. i have yet to hear any complaints from insulators on any of my atomizers....

18141.jpg

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I dip mine in water they never seam to come out completely clean they are a little grey looking. But it brings the flavor back

Distilled water over tap will bring them closer to shiny new.
ive been pretty lucky so far, my adv's are pretty clean burning juices. i dry burn til they glow, hit em with water when theyre red hot, dry burn, rewick and go on about my business every other day or so, or whenever i see the color of the snow white rayon starting to go to crap. i keep a chemical wash bottle full of water at my vape cave desk for washing coils and attys out, so its just a matter of reaching over, and hovering over the trash can to clean coils. pinpoint precision tip so you dont get water anywhere you dont want it. best $8 for 3 i ever spent. 150 sigelei and hana boxes dont get any special treatment either. just hold them upside down, water cant flow uphill. i have yet to hear any complaints from insulators on any of my atomizers....

18141.jpg
Again,distilled water...
bottled tap water can start to develop algae and go stagnant within 24 hours with the right ammount of UV.
not only that but think about everything that's in tap water.
flouride,chlorine, rust,copper oxide,magnesium,etc.
sure,a lot of it is burned off with a dry fire but why take the chance when distilled is .99 a gal.?

dingo1799

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Again,distilled water...
bottled tap water can start to develop algae and go stagnant within 24 hours with the right ammount of UV.
sure,a lot of it is burned off with a dry fire but why take the chance when distilled is .99 a gal.?

Considering my desk is in a room, in the basement, with just a 6"x10" window on the wall towards the desk, pretty sure the UV exposure to my water bottle is negligible, if even measurable. On top of that, I'm fairly sure the 20 years of car exhaust and shop chemicals, along with the diesel fumes from my current employment will kill me LONG before anything in the tap water will ever make a dent in me. There's a LOT more in life to worry about than rust and chlorine in tap water.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Considering my desk is in a room, in the basement, with just a 6"x10" window on the wall towards the desk, pretty sure the UV exposure to my water bottle is negligible, if even measurable. On top of that, I'm fairly sure the 20 years of car exhaust and shop chemicals, along with the diesel fumes from my current employment will kill me LONG before anything in the tap water will ever make a dent in me. There's a LOT more in life to worry about than rust and chlorine in tap water.
Fair enough but actually taking advice costs very little and peace of mind is worth a mint.
with that kind of attitude you might aswell go all in and smoke cigs.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Again,distilled water...
I don't know about algae but you can smell the chemicals in tap water if you use tap water.I use to work at a waste water plant in FL....the chemicals we put in the water are not something I would want to inhale.... IMO

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Every 8 to 10 ml of liquid then I dry burn and replace the wick.

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It really depends on the eliquid you use. WIth unflavored I can go over a week without rewicking Japanese cotton wicks if I don't do something stupid like take dry hits. Even at a week, the coil is still pretty clean and the cotton under the coil only slightly discolored.

With over 2 years of RDA use now, I have never had a coil fail. Touch wood. I just change them because I can and have even used the same one over a month of daily 5-10ml vaping when I was too busy to bother.

I dry burn, blow off the white dust, and rewick. The first part of wick insertion seems to clean the inside of the coil and I cut that part off anyway. I find it easier to just make a new coil rather than run it under water and wait for it all to dry. About once a week I soak the entire RDA in PGA to sterilize it and get rid of internal juice junk because I use a bottom feeder.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It really depends on the eliquid you use. WIth unflavored I can go over a week without rewicking Japanese cotton wicks if I don't do something stupid like take dry hits. Even at a week, the coil is still pretty clean and the cotton under the coil only slightly discolored.

With over 2 years of RDA use now, I have never had a coil fail. Touch wood. I just change them because I can and have even used the same one over a month of daily 5-10ml vaping when I was too busy to bother.

I dry burn, blow off the white dust, and rewick. The first part of wick insertion seems to clean the inside of the coil and I cut that part off anyway. I find it easier to just make a new coil rather than run it under water and wait for it all to dry. About once a week I soak the entire RDA in PGA to sterilize it and get rid of internal juice junk because I use a bottom feeder.
So your coils never get that rusty metal taste .mine do after about a week

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So your coils never get that rusty metal taste .mine do after about a week

No I have never experience that unless I let a wet coil sit for a long, long time unused. Since I don't change flavors, I usually only have one setup going at a time. My backup mods are usually coiled and ready to go without eliquid in them.

Maybe the difference is unflavored. My coils look like new after dry burning and blowing on them and I have never seen any sign of rust. I'll try and pay more attention for a subtle flavor change.

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You use unflavored juice? Not discremenating just wondering
Yes most of the time for the past few years. I've been vaping for 5 years this December and over time got tired of all the flavors. I enjoy the subtle sweetness of unflavored with the slight bite of nicotine and treat the whole vaping experience more like smoking the same brand of cigarettes for decades.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
There is one small trick I forgot to mention.

At most pharmacies, you can purchase a pack of very small brushes that are meant to use like a floss between your teeth. They kinda look like a plastic toothpick with bristles attached to a small plastic tab you hold it by.

The end that is supposed to go between your teeth is great for cleaning coils. The plastic tab end is great for moving wick into place in the chimney of your RBA.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
.....you are aware that there is a gasket between the RDA and the mod
Yes, I am aware of how these newfangled vape things work ;) I was using a tap, so there would be a tiny bit of splash back on whatever mech I'm using. Never water inside, on the battery, no issues there. If I had excess water spray back on a regulated device, that would bother me. I try to keep my regulated mods absolutely as dry as possible. It's doubtful that I'd drop a mod, never have. I use the faucet, but now I will be dunking the coils, should've thought of that by now.

And regarding coils beginning to taste bad, I don't have that issue, and I vape flavors. Some definitely gunk coils worse, and faster than others. Aside from that, I've had builds that I used for months. Re wicking is all I do, unless I mess up the coil, or just wanna build a new one.

@Giraut I doubt that will ever happen, lol, but again, toss a battery, or toss a mod. With a mech it's just a wasted battery. I'm OCD about some stuff.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I just put a little distilled water in a small bowl and dip the coil when hot.

So I'd like to dry burn/clean this gunky coil since i don't think I really need to build a new one, especially since I hardly know how to and don't really have to tools to do so. But I only have a 30w IPV Mini. Am I safe to dry burn without a mechanical mod? Thanks.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I'd like to dry burn/clean this gunky coil since i don't think I really need to build a new one, especially since I hardly know how to and don't really have to tools to do so. But I only have a 30w IPV Mini. Am I safe to dry burn without a mechanical mod? Thanks.
Yes. I said I used mechs and not regulated since I don't like getting them near water. Might be stupid. Anyway, you're fine, just don't drop the mod.

VU Sponsors