Cleaning Questions

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey, everyone. I've got a few questions regarding cleaning & maintenance.

My Setup:
  1. iStick 20W - I've been at about 8.5 watts consistently.
  2. Mini Nautilus - I've only used Cosmic Fog "Milk & Honey" so far.
My Questions:
  1. How often should I clean my Vape?
    • I read that it's good to clean it every time you change flavors.​
  2. What's the best way to clean the inside of my tank and my mouthpiece?
    • I read that boiling the glass tank and the mouthpiece removes all juice, flavor, etc.​
  3. Should I rinse (or boil?) and then dry-burn my tank coils (BVC), and if so, how often?
    • I read that this can increase the lifespan of each coil before it needs to be trashed.
    • Read this post for a better description of what I mean.​

Thanks, guys! :)

Last edited:

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That would be really helpful... if I had a Mech. I don't have a Mech; I have an iStick.
He even says in the video NOT to do what he's doing if you have a VV / VW device...

Basically, I heard that you can take the BVC coil out of your Nautilus and clean it.
You run hot water through it or something, then dry-burn it until it stops smoking.
This freshens the coil, wick, etc. and removes bad taste, gunk, etc.

That's what I was referring to with question number 3.

antonio

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
DrumsXtankost: 257602 said:
That would be really helpful... if I had a Mech. I don't have a Mech; I have an iStick.
He even says in the video NOT to do what he's doing if you have a VV / VW device...

Basically, I heard that you can take the BVC coil out of your Nautilus and clean it.
You run hot water through it or something, then dry-burn it until it stops smoking.
This freshens the coil, wick, etc. and removes bad taste, gunk, etc.

That's what I was referring to with question number 3.
To clean your tank just take it apart and rinse under hot water, run hot water through your coil and let it air dry for a few days. That usually gives me a couple of extra weeks.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You can also soak the coils in vodka overnight, then rinse and dry.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do you air dry them or dry burn them?

wildwildwest

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you dry-burn ANY Aspire coils (Nautilus BVCs, Atlantis) you will ruin them. They will never return to a usable state again, unless you rebuild them. The Japanese cotton used in the manufacture process will burn, never to be the same. You will never get a good taste from them.

As far as using vodka, I have tried that, but have obtained best results using 190 proof Everclear, a vodka type ethanol product that is 95% pure alcohol, which will evaporate almost immediately. I soak the gunky coils in the Everclear overnight, and them let them air-dry, again overnight. (NO rinsing with water!) Our local vape shop owner disagrees with this, saying I am ruining the coils. But then, of course, he wants to sell me more coils...

After many trials, errors, and unfavorable experiences, I use Aspire products exclusively: I do not work for them, and I'm not a rebuilder. But if any device or method produces more vapor than the Aspire Atlantis, it may very likely kill me.

(Everclear is the brand name for an unflavored and colorless beverage grade of distilled spirit bottled at two different high strengths, either 151 or 190 proof, meaning 75.5 or 95 percent ethanol, respectively.)

antonio

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you dry-burn ANY Aspire coils (Nautilus BVCs, Atlantis) you will ruin them. They will never return to a usable state again, unless you rebuild them. The Japanese cotton used in the manufacture process will burn, never to be the same. You will never get a good taste from them.

As far as using vodka, I have tried that, but have obtained best results using 190 proof Everclear, a vodka type ethanol product that is 95% pure alcohol, which will evaporate almost immediately. I soak the gunky coils in the Everclear overnight, and them let them air-dry, again overnight. (NO rinsing with water!) Our local vape shop owner disagrees with this, saying I am ruining the coils. But then, of course, he wants to sell me more coils...

After many trials, errors, and unfavorable experiences, I use Aspire products exclusively: I do not work for them, and I'm not a rebuilder. But if any device or method produces more vapor than the Aspire Atlantis, it may very likely kill me.

(Everclear is the brand name for an unflavored and colorless beverage grade of distilled spirit bottled at two different high strengths, either 151 or 190 proof, meaning 75.5 or 95 percent ethanol, respectively.)
Hey, in my personal research i just rinsed my bvc wit very hot water it lasted another two weeks, I've also rebuilt a bvc head wasn't perfect i think i packed too much cotton, flavor and cloud was ok.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Alright. It looks like I'll need to buy some spare coils soon, so I have them on hand. I've got Vodka in the house as well; it's not 190 proof, but it's still Vodka (Absolut).

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, I am officially a dumbass.

I got my sample pack of juices from Vape Wild in the mail today. The first I tried was Strawberries & Cream.
At best, the flavor is weak; I really can't even taste it. I thought maybe my coil was going bad already.

So, I looked up some videos on how to clean these BVC heads and tried dry-burning it.
I had found a video where the guy did it right on camera and ended up with as good as taste as ever.
My results were definitely not the same... It tasted like something I imagine you'd find in hell.
So, I ran the coil in under hot water for a few minutes, then shook in Vodka for a few.
Now it's drying in front of the blower on my furnace (I might blast it with a blow dryer too).

Perhaps what's even worse is that the replacement BVC head that came with my Mini Nautilus is broken.
I tried to screw it into the bottom assembly of the tank and the threads on the head are damaged.
So, I had to order more (World of Vape; 2 5-packs for $25 shipped).
I am now Vapeless until they arrive (probably not until next week). :(

On another note, I'm taking the advice of my friend with the super tasty juice.
He only buys juice from Natural Vapors here in Buffalo, NY.
When he goes again he's picking me up some of his favorite flavors.
Hopefully I'll actually be able to taste it, unlike the others I've tried so far.

antonio

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can anyone tell me which is the best 18650 battery for sub ohm 0.5 and under?
Thanks.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't think that's a question for a thread about how to clean your Vape...

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
On a somewhat different approach, i use a kayfun light regularly on my istick. If you've rebuilt a bvc, buiding on a kayfun deck ought to be a picnic. I change coils rarely but rewick every couple tankfulls. A $7 pack of japanese cotton and 100ft of 28g kanthal @ $5 off Amazon will last a long long time. Clones of the new v4 can be found for under $20 from china (fasttech etc). Might be something to look in to.

Flavor on kayfun blows nautalus away imo.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
On a somewhat different approach, i use a kayfun light regularly on my istick. If you've rebuilt a bvc, buiding on a kayfun deck ought to be a picnic. I change coils rarely but rewick every couple tankfulls. A $7 pack of japanese cotton and 100ft of 28g kanthal @ $5 off Amazon will last a long long time. Clones of the new v4 can be found for under $20 from china (fasttech etc). Might be something to look in to.

Flavor on kayfun blows nautalus away imo.
I've never rebuilt a BVC head before; I don't know what gave you the impression that I had.
Why would you want to anyways? Aspire's wicking material is much better than cotton.

Don't get me wrong; I've been thinking on the idea of rebuildable tanks...
They're just very intimidating to me at this point, seeing as I'm very, very new to Vaping.

Anyways; here's what the inside of my BVC head looks like after I tried repairing it.
Anyone who says you can successfully dry-burn an Aspire BVC is an idiot.
I tried repairing it by running it under hot water, washing it with Vodka and then letting it sit; no joy.

HB3wSU8.jpg

Every juice I put through it tasted and smelled like burnt popcorn and ass. I don't recommend it.

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I must have mis-read your post due to shift offset insomnia. Really, rebuildable tanks are not that scary on a regulated device. You have an ohm reader in the device and short circuit protection. The problem with dry burning an aspire head is the juice in the wick in the "side wick" can never burn off, it just gets crappy and you'll Never Ever Ever get that crappy taste out. You'd have too re-wick it, which can be done with Japanese cotton. I am not sure that the ceramic whatnot wick is better than Japanese cotton by any standard. It's super easy to work with and wicks like a mofo (the jp cotton that is).

Check out Rip Trippers YouTube channel for a tutorial on rebuilding aspire heads and kayfuns and also check out pbusardo's channel on for some really great tutorials and reviews if Rip is too much for you. . . Check out Busardo anyways, even if Rip isn't too over the top for you. Watch both of them on coil building.

I thought the same thing myself (OMG, rebuilding is freaky, I'll stick with these bottom coil clearo tanks and carto tanks) a year ago. It's not that hard and takes minimal investment. You'll save vs pre made coils in the long run. . . Or maybe not as it gets addicting. . .

Edit: Lemo is pretty effing win as is the orchid and from what I hear the kanger subtank in rebuildable mode.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I didn't mean it's intimidating in the sense that I'm scared to ruin my device.
What I meant is that it's intimidating because I've never made anything like that before.
I'm not really handy with that kind of stuff...

Eventually I don't doubt that I'll get into it; I just don't know if it'll be right now, ya know?
I've seen the Rip Trippers BVC rebuild video, as well as some of his an PBusardo's vids on rebuilding, BTW. :)

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Kk. I get what you are saying and I am "a tinkering with my hands" kinda guy. Some folks don't go for that. . . On a side note, I'm Also a "bake my own bread, brew my own beer, reload my own ammo" guy, so I like to make stuff for myself. Really, rebuilding is just winding wire around screwdrivers. If your can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball. . I mean. . . Well, you get what I mean.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I get what you mean.

Another thing that has been stopping me from looking into rebuildables more seriously is the size of them.
Nearly all of them seem pretty beefy, and I want something that I can easily fit in my pocket.
That's why I went with the iStick and the Mini Nautilus. Even the Kayfun Lite looks big...

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vaping on a KFL on an istick right now as I type this out. The mini Naut is in the vape caddy crying itself to sleep from loneliness and I bought it just to use on this istick. Check out a nano kit for a KFL or a bell cap kit. Makes em shorter. Full size on istick.
357284cee88b3a7216704aa38804d813.jpg

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can't tell from the picture, but does it hang over the edge a lot? That would be a pet peeve for sure, lol.
Size wise, how does it compare to the Mini Nautilus (length)?
A picture of that Kayfun next to your Mini Nautilus would be awesome. ;) :D

4King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you're so concern about that, you should get a rba with tank built in like the kayfun x.x, you can do a good clean and replace cotton everytime you change juice, or simply renew the coil + wick.
As for the Mini tank(which use factory coil) I use to simply wash it with hot tap water for a few second, blow from the top to push the water out through the bottom and side, and recycle the step for a minute or 2. Afterward, again blow through the top, and at time, put your finger on the bottom to force water out from the side, then dry burn it with your mech/box by tapping your fire button for half a second wait 5 second, and do that like 3-4 time and it's good enough for me

antonio

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
[QU="DrumsXO, post: 260920, member: 14954"]I don't think that's a question for a thread about how to clean your Vape...[/QUOTE]
So don't answer!!!!! Do u feel intimidated by that question? Lol...btw rba and rda are not that hard, just try it and i guarantee you'll love!

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
55351acbe319de5e249959905a5f024f.jpg
It hangs over a couple mm. I will post a shot when I get home. (At local B&M, just bought SMPL and Dark Horse. See above.)
I can't tell from the picture, but does it hang over the edge a lot? That would be a pet peeve for sure, lol.
Size wise, how does it compare to the Mini Nautilus (length)?
A picture of that Kayfun next to your Mini Nautilus would be awesome. ;) :D

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you're so concern about that, you should get a rba with tank built in like the kayfun x.x, you can do a good clean and replace cotton everytime you change juice, or simply renew the coil + wick.
What do you mean? Are you talking about how on the Kayfun v4 you can access the deck without tank draining?
[QU="DrumsXO, post: 260920, member: 14954"]I don't think that's a question for a thread about how to clean your Vape...
So don't answer!!!!! Do u feel intimidated by that question?[/QUOTE]
No, I'm not intimidated by your question. I just don't appreciate you trying to jack my thread.

It hangs over a couple mm. I will post a shot when I get home.
Okay! If you could, snap a picture of it standing next to your Mini Naut. so I can compare the height of the two. :)

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Okay! If you could, snap a picture of it standing next to your Mini Naut. so I can compare the height of the two. :)

Sorry for delay. Real life and stuffs. As requested and promised.
44ddb6a1655df0ae44d7a4d79c5bceaa.jpg
f2c4ff5338ff6e5cd0b412711d6371c2.jpg
2f23d93a2b2b9692cc152b8bc5d81bbb.jpg

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A lemo would be excellent on an istick as well but I don't own one, yet.

Having fun with that new Dark Horse clone in single coil mode on that SMPL. . . dat hybrid lyfe. . .

antonio

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry dude, wasn't trying to jack your thread, my mistake
My lemo does hang over my istick a few mm but still looks ok.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the pictures, [USER]Tcar[/USER]!

Is that a regular Kayfun Lite, or do you have a Nano or Bell Kit installed on it to make it shorter?
I looked at the pricing, and I'm hoping it's just a regular Kayfun Lite (or the Lite Plus).
Reason being because the Nano or Bell Kits are just as much as the Kayfun itself. :eek:

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's a plain old KFL. It's the $15 one off Fasttech. https://www.fasttech.com/products/1605200

A nano kit to convert it is like $5. Total investment in tank, $20. https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011444/1987501-replacement-tank-chimney-nano-kit-for-kayfun

A PMMA bell kayfun is like $12. https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10006473/1958800-kayfun-nano-v3-style-rta-rebuildable-tank

They are not as leak proof as a clearo, so don't think you can tip them upside and not have them spit out of the air hole a little.. . Still, flavor is heads and shoulders above a clearo. The new Atlantis is about comparable for flavor but gives more clouds. It's sub ohm however. The kanger subtank has 1.2ohm coils but is giant (I think it's like a 28mm device?) And would definitely be quite huge on an istick.

Last edited:

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Very nice! Thanks for the links! :D
Even though the KFL by itself is the same size as the Mini Nautilus, I'd probably get the Nano Kit.
The idea of having a plastic mid-section doesn't sit too well with me; I prefer glass.

Seeing as the device would always be in my pocket, or at the least, tipped on its side, leaks don't worry me much.
I know they give excellent flavor over standard clearomizers. I'm considering the Atlantis though.
It's sub-Ohm so I'd have to get a new device, but I fancy the new iStick 50W anyways, so that'd solve that.

I have to say though, the idea of a rebuildable is growing on me...
BVC heads are somewhat expensive compared to Kanthal and cotton.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does that cotton have to be washed first?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I tend to boil any wicking material.

If your cotton is white, chances are it has been treated with something.

As for drying, I use a toaster oven set to about 120 deg f in the keep warm setting.

Beats waiting 8 to 12 hours for air drying.

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No, you don't need to boil it. It's unbleached and un processed. The dark spots are the natural-ness of the cotton. I've used everything and cellucott rayon and this stuff are the best. No break in and no off taste. In my opinion, boiling is for suckers. Other people feel different. If it makes you feel better to vape your non fda approved for inhalation food grade flavorings off boiled cotton, go for it. I can't be bothered.

Last edited:

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
55351acbe319de5e249959905a5f024f.jpg
It hangs over a couple mm. I will post a shot when I get home. (At local B&M, just bought SMPL and Dark Horse. See above.)
Let us know how you like the smpl. I've been eyeing them.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Should I consider the Kayfun V4 over the Kayfun Lite? It looks to be the same height...
I very much like the idea of not needing to drain the tank before accessing the deck.

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That is up to you. . . I know I'm getting one on my next order to FT. . .

As for the SMPL, it works perfect. I vape it at .3 so I can't tell you how it does with super sub ohm. Only thing to watch for is making sure you don't short at the 510, like with any hybrid. The battery access is easy but slow, so don't vent a battery through carelessness. . . Won't be getting it out fast.

I mean, it's really simple like the name says. Only thing I need on it is a vape band our something for some traction. Light knurling or something would make it the prefect tube mech for me.

Was $27 + tax @ local b&m. Was prefect for an impulse buy.

Last edited:

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It sounds like it's a pretty good tank; the reviews are solid.
The size appears to be the same as the plain Kayfun Lite; about 78mm.
Combine that with the fact that it's newer and the liquid control; winner! :D

VU Sponsors