Become a Patron!

Cleaning Wire Prior to Wrapping

VaporOwl

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I was watching a video by twisted messes about making zipper coils and he mentions cleaning the wire with soap to remove metal dust after twisting and flattening.

I torch my coils with a butane torch prior to installing them in my atomizer, making sure to heat every single part of the wire, even parts that I eventually clip off.

Is another cleaning stage necessary for safety reason?

Link to the video:

It's rather long and I think he mentions cleaning around 12 minutes or 15:50. I can't quite remember.

Hoot.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like a step worth taking for that kind of coil to me

VaporOwl

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is soap going to do anything to help? I guess torching it might just melt the dust in or something?

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used to torch my coils before installation but now i just wrap them , stick them in there and apply power and eliminate the hot spots by sticking a drill bit through the coil .

It gets cleaned that way and it performs identical for me , with limited deck space i heat and compact the coil but thats about it.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
he only cleans them because when he flattens it with the toothless pliers that pulls off metal shards and they stick on the wire. dont want to be vaping that but for normal builds no need to do that

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Guess i should of watched the video but i never do , thanks for the info .

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol on it, fold it around the wire, pinch and pull the wire through a couple times. I don't know where the wires been. I can tell by the way the cotton ball slides down the wire the first time compared to the way it feels the second and third time I have cleaned something off the wire. Don't know what it was but its gone now.

VaporOwl

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My question pertains to twisted wire. VH I like to torch my coils before I mount them because the torch heats all of the wire. In the atomizer deck the parts of the wire that are in the posts don't get red-orange-white hot like the middle of the coil does.

I like the alcohol cotton ball idea BoomStick.

VU Sponsors