Become a Patron!
Hi all,
New to the forum and new to coil building.
Have a squonk mod (Kangertech 160W) and was using the supplied atomiser with pre-built coils to good effect.
Tried building my first coil for the steamcrave V-RDA atomiser and aimed for a 0.3Ohm dual coil (4mm internal diameter, 5 wraps per coil) using organic cotton and kanthal A1 24Ga.
Ohm-meter said I had a 0.31Ohm coil once it settled.
Feeling pleased with myself for a first attempt I screwed it onto my mod..........
......And the coil read 0.07Ohms, wouldn’t fire initially, prevented contact between the coil and the rest of the atomiser and it finally fired, still at 0.07Ohms...

Any advice or troubleshooting anyone has would be humongously appreciated. Thank you for reading and thank you in advance to any respondents.

TL:DR built a coil, doesn’t work, seeking assistance or advice.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Sounds like it might be shorting somewhere. Make sure the coils aren't touching any metal (including the cap).

Did think would be a short or similar, knew that’s why it didn’t fire because managed to get it away from the top cap and fired at 0.07Ohms.
Weirdest part is that I picked up my vape this morning to find the coil reading 0.28Ohms.....
Does this mean it has somehow fixed itself?

Appreciate the reply and advice btw

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
No, it means something else. Is there an errant piece of a wire clipping in the atty somewhere? Are the screws completely tightened?

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
No, it means something else. Is there an errant piece of a wire clipping in the atty somewhere? Are the screws completely tightened?
This is the leading cause and fix for most problems. After I wick every time and before I always give by coils a dry burn, pulse and brush. I want to have confidence that my coils are doing exactly what I see when I pulse.

Sounds like to me that you need to make sure your screws are tight, and that your coil is not touching your atomizer walls. A hd pic would be nice.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sounds like a short to me as well. One situation I had was everything was great and even fit in my tank and worked great for like 3 hours then all of a sudden I get a short. Pulled my deck out and everything was fine. Put it back in and it worked. Took a vape and short.

What happened was the coil was so close to the chamber that when I put the slightest pressure on the drip tip it would shift slightly and short.

VU Sponsors