Become a Patron!

Coil glows inside out but after wicking and puffing, i get hot legs

Chiekotz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i dont get it. Coils perfectly light up from inside out. When i put cotton, vapes fine, after a few hours, i get a burnt taste and there is still juice on my wick

When i try to fire it to see if i have hot legs, there is.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i dont get it. Coils perfectly light up from inside out. When i put cotton, vapes fine, after a few hours, i get a burnt taste and there is still juice on my wick

When i try to fire it to see if i have hot legs, there is.
Welcome to VU!

When pulling the new cotton in through the new coils, is it extremely tight? or somewhat "snug"? I've had it happen where if I'm pulling in the cotton and it's to tight it will pull the coils and make them start touching after I've already got them perfectly setup. This will then cause hotspots.

Chiekotz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to VU!

When pulling the new cotton in through the new coils, is it extremely tight? or somewhat "snug"? I've had it happen where if I'm pulling in the cotton and it's to tight it will pull the coils and make them start touching after I've already got them perfectly setup. This will then cause hotspots.

Well, i twist the cotton so it can go inside the coil, sometimes its really tight because i twist it. This way i can cut thicker cotton

If i dont twist it, i cut thinner cotton

I have been doing some reading and they say it has somethjnf to do with cotton not touching the legs or outer coil? (Example: when vaping for a few hours, cotton will get damp and not touch the outer coils

Some say they put some cotton on the legs

Not sure if that made sense.

Thanks for the quick reply, didnt expect it to be that fast

Chiekotz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, i twist the cotton so it can go inside the coil, sometimes its really tight because i twist it. This way i can cut thicker cotton

If i dont twist it, i cut thinner cotton

I have been doing some reading and they say it has somethjnf to do with cotton not touching the legs or outer coil? (Example: when vaping for a few hours, cotton will get damp and not touch the outer coils

Some say they put some cotton on the legs

Not sure if that made sense.

Thanks for the quick reply, didnt expect it to be that fast

If i didnt twist the cotton with a thick cut, it will definitely pull the coil

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Take a picture of your cotton/ wicking in your coil. It would help to see what you have going on.

Also, what tank / RTA are you using?

Chiekotz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just replaced the cotton now so it vapes perfectly, cotton becomes white after 5-7 or so hits so thats ok right?

After a few hours, i can only vape 2-3 times then it will taste burnt, when i open the atomizer, wick still wet with juice

Atomizer is Pharaoh BTw

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    895.4 KB · Views: 60

Chiekotz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just replaced the cotton now so it vapes perfectly, cotton becomes white after 5-7 or so hits so thats ok right?

After a few hours, i can only vape 2-3 times then it will taste burnt, when i open the atomizer, wick still wet with juice

Atomizer is Pharaoh BTw

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To me that looks like a bit too much cotton for that coil. I don't have the Pharaoh tank, so I'm calling in a couple of guys I think have it.
@SirRichardRear @Deucesjack

Also, here is a video that Mike Vapes does a review and wicking technique on that RDA

Chiekotz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does it matter if the coils are not compressed and some have gaps like what you see in the picture?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Does it matter if the coils are not compressed and some have gaps like what you see in the picture?
Your coils look a bit "dirty" / "gunked up" but that just comes from using them. You may need to clean them, that may help get rid of the "burnt" taste.
The spacing looks OK, hard to tell without seeing them glowing. They are more of a "contact" coil setup vs a "spaced" coil. You have plenty of build deck there so you may want to space them out some to get more coverage on your cotton. -- Just random thoughts on what I see in your picture.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'll go with PO and say, too much cotton. I like it to fill the coil, but not move it when I pull it side-to-side.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm gonna go opposite here. Not enough cotton. Looks like space between cotton and the inside of the coil if u look close. I stuff a shit ton of cotton in the pharaoh. Also I could see where there could be a hot leg. And the coils looked gunked. I'd personally start over with a new build. I need to do a pharaoh build and tutorial. It's my favorite rda

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Chiekotz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm gonna go opposite here. Not enough cotton. Looks like space between cotton and the inside of the coil if u look close. I stuff a shit ton of cotton in the pharaoh. Also I could see where there could be a hot leg. And the coils looked gunked. I'd personally start over with a new build. I need to do a pharaoh build and tutorial. It's my favorite rda

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Please do create a video, im a single coil vaper so the Pharaoh is perfect for me i can put the coil dead center

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make sure the cotton is not stuffed tightly in either the coil or the juice holes.
Leave the juice flow control thingy open all the time.
439de7c2da43426675ff22ec3ee17b7d.jpg

The coil at the side is irrelevant for this discussion just placed it there to show how big the coil I'm using is in comparison.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I would say you have a hotspot on that far right part of the coil (where leg is) it's got a lot more gunking build up on it than the rest of the coil

Hotspots are bad news no matter how well you do the cotton

Strip this clean it and re wick ;) if you put a pin (3mm diameter or whatever diameter this is) through the middle of the coil you can get another small screwdriver and use a lever action to push that leg over

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Make sure the cotton is not stuffed tightly in either the coil or the juice holes.

The coil at the side is irrelevant for this discussion just placed it there to show how big the coil I'm using is in comparison.

Nice coil btw nightshard ;)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
^^
Erm bit stupid posting this on a thread with a moderator lol

@nightshard

There was a spam post above this one and no wasn't mine...honest ;)

Last edited:

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
Look at the inner part of the coil from the side.
If it looks half empty then you don't have enough cotton.
Even if you have slightly too much cotton you can fix it by pulling the wick in the coil from side to side till it loosens up.

+1 thats what I usually do

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
if your problem is hot legs, wick and cotton have no effect. A hot leg is where you get to much power to the leg and restricted power to the coil. Meaning the leg heats up faster and hotter than the rest of the coil. In other words, you have to fix the hotleg before you wick. Usually, tightening the lead down more works, or loosening the lead, jiggle the coil a little (to reseat the leg in the post a bit to get it to settle in) and tighten down firmly. If that doesn't work, you probably have a bad coil build. Scrap it and start again. (example would be a twist in a parallel coil leg, or one wire slipped up inside the wrapping wire, just as a couple "could happens" that would require a new build)

The 100% sure fire way to tell if you have a hot leg, is if you have a dark "spot" on the cotton outside the coil, usually near the post that is causing the problem. You could literally hold your coil upside down in a bucket of juice, and the hotleg would still burn cotton and give that dry hit taste.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Notice the bottom edge of this wick? See how it is dark and burnt looking? Retune your coil. Putting a coil jig back in and pulling a bit to tighten may work, but it looks like, from the pic, the outside coil is larger than the ones next to it. So I suggest reworking the coil to eliminate that issue. Aside from that, no wicking method you can use will fix the issue. The coil is just plain heating to much on that first coil/ leg. And that burnt juice is the tattle tale sign.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok this is already kind of mentioned, but tighten down your posts again after you get your coil glowing evenly and before you put your wick in. they heat up and cool down and change shape and hardness during that process. sometimes a leg will come loose throughout all that, even if it was as tight as possible at the start.

also, if you are using a clapton or any coil with an outer wrap, try unwrapping the legs a little so that only the core wire(s) are in the clamps/post holes.

Chiekotz

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Notice the bottom edge of this wick? See how it is dark and burnt looking? Retune your coil. Putting a coil jig back in and pulling a bit to tighten may work, but it looks like, from the pic, the outside coil is larger than the ones next to it. So I suggest reworking the coil to eliminate that issue. Aside from that, no wicking method you can use will fix the issue. The coil is just plain heating to much on that first coil/ leg. And that burnt juice is the tattle tale sign.

Thanks for taking the effort to show me pics

VU Sponsors