Become a Patron!

coil help?

I have a 24g macro coil, can i put another macro on the other side but 28g wire? Im just wondering if its okay to do

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You can but one coil is going to heat up faster than the other all else being equal.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That, and IDK how you'd figure out the resistance beforehand.... guessing isn't a good plan.

you can check your resistance this way. test each coil independently. Multiply the 2 then divide that by the the sum of the two.. like this (R1xR2) / (R1+R2) that will give you your total resistance.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The hottest coil will dry out the fastest. Results are burnt taste.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
you can do it but the load won't be even like the other's said....basically when you build a dual coil set up you use two coils of the same size wire and wraps to make them draw the same amount of current evenly. That's the basic concept of a dual "parallel" coil build. When you use two different sized wires and the same number of wraps for each coil you unbalance the load....the most current will be drawn to the side of the load with the least amount of resistance so it will heat of faster frying your juice on that side while the lesser coil will heat up slower. If build two coils with the same resistance but different sized wire they still won't heat completely evenly....the thicker the gauge the lower the resistance and the longer it takes to heat up than a thinner wire with a higher resistance....so even though they may have the same resistance reading on the coils they still might not behave the same way because of the number of wraps/gauge difference...i haven't tried this experiment myself but now I think I will right now to see what actually happens....but that's the theory behind it....for what it's worth....I hope this helps.

VU Sponsors