Become a Patron!

Coil issues Kanger OCC

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is there anyone besides me getting a lot of bad coils? I build my own, when I have the time. But frequently buy the OCC for use while I'm on the road. The last 2 boxes, have been toast in short order. I've had only 1 last more than 24 hours.

Getting rather frustrated with this. Coils purchased were .5ohm and 1.2ohm verticals.

Wattage varies, but generally between 8 & 12. No issues with this in the past. And yes I know they can run hotter.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
You do wet the coils with juice before using them, correct? Have you tried a different juice? Darker juice can gunk up coils quick. However, the coil should last at least a few days.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You do wet the coils with juice before using them, correct? Have you tried a different juice? Darker juice can gunk up coils quick. However, the coil should last at least a few days.

I'm no stranger to the occasional bad coil. I also make sure the cotton is saturated well, and I allow the coil to stand in the juice for a bit, before hitting it.

I'm thinking it's just a bad lot. I lost 3 within an hour. :/ Most last me at least 3-4 days, or longer.

Most of my juice is clear, or a nice light gold color :) I do run a high VG%. But, I've never lost this many coils before :/

I'm going to go with "bad lot" this time, and see if the next ones I buy have issues

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm no stranger to the occasional bad coil. I also make sure the cotton is saturated well, and I allow the coil to stand in the juice for a bit, before hitting it.

I'm thinking it's just a bad lot. I lost 3 within an hour. :/ Most last me at least 3-4 days, or longer.

Most of my juice is clear, or a nice light gold color :) I do run a high VG%. But, I've never lost this many coils before :/

I'm going to go with "bad lot" this time, and see if the next ones I buy have issues
Under those circumstances, it sounds like you do have bad coils. I'm using 80-90 VG in my juices, and don't have any gunk building up, due to high VG.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My OCC coils usually last me a week. I have come across the odd bad one that only lasted a day or two but never a whole box of bad ones. Maybe they are knock offs?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
...... Maybe they are knock offs?

That's what I'm beginning to think. Looking back through them. They're all .5ohm, from the same 2 boxes. Only one of my 1.2 has fried. And it was a bit old.

I did notice one thing I found odd about them. The cotton literally sucked the priming juice placed on the vent holes, no matter the quanity. My others have never done this.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The cotton literally sucked the priming juice placed on the vent holes, no matter the quanity. My others have never done this.

That does sound very strange. Usually when I put a drop of juice on the vent hole it takes a bit for the cotton to absorb the juice. It usually takes me a couple minutes to get a few drops in each side of the coil. Did you buy the coils from a reputable source?

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What mod are you using. Truth be told, once i put my subtank on my evic, i can make coils last about 2-3 weeks....and the hit is much better. Maybe the mod you are having issues with...

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
2-3 Weeks? Thats impressive. Is that in temp control mode?

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, but I do have some TC coils i made by using this video....

But currently, i keep evic at 34.4 w....Vapor production is mind boggling

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What mod are you using. Truth be told, once i put my subtank on my evic, i can make coils last about 2-3 weeks....and the hit is much better. Maybe the mod you are having issues with...

MVP Pro 3
I haven't had any issues until this past week. And as I stated earlier, they're all from the same 2 boxes.

I'm currently using the 1.2's I have, with zero issues. I'm just hating I wasted the money.

I have some down time now. So I'll just build a couple, and be happy lol

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Did you ever try turning it down??

I usually run between 8 & 11 watts. Generally when I hit 11, the coil is about to go out.

I've gotten very good performance, even with a high VG ratio.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Consider trying a different mod. Not two of the same, I have a few mods that have given me a diminishing return. Switching them out fixed it. Just something to think on.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Okay, it has been determined. Bad coils.

Not sure if it's a bad lot, or knock offs. But the problem has been resolved. I replaced the coil twice yesterday, before stopping at a local shop.

I've had the same coil in since. Wattages normal. Fingers crossed lol

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to use the pin trick on my K occ coils. Seems to work. Can go a couple weeks on average .5 coil.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have to use the pin trick on my K occ coils. Seems to work. Can go a couple weeks on average .5 coil.

I do that too. After watching a guy suggest it on YouTube. It seems to help a lot.

But the coils in question, where not as tightly packed it seems. They literally sucked the juice from the bottle tip when priming lol

mayorts

Member For 4 Years
I like both light and dark juices. I start a new coil with light and do a two day cycle of flavors because I have flavor add and end a coil life cycle with dark so i don't even notice a burnt coil taste after one week. I do like one hit wonder muffin man, but it will ruin a coil within two days, so I save it for the last remaining two days. Many ways to do it, just mine. I change coils every Friday. I do not dry burn and release all those toxins. Not worth a couple dollars, just mo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I got 2 bad boxes in a row for my wife from an online store (which they happily replaced) and no more problems.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I got 2 bad boxes in a row for my wife from an online store (which they happily replaced) and no more problems.

I've quit buying the OCC altogether. It was simply a luxury for me to be able to do a quick swap while I'm on the road. And that last rip off, will be my last.

Now I just carry the tool box with a roll of wire, at all times. I've always had better results building my own anyway.

VU Sponsors