Become a Patron!

Coil leg discussion basic to advanced.

wert

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi.

Thought I'd start a dedicated thread discussing coil legs....

Some rookie questions I'll start with....

What does a short leg length obtain as opposed to a long leg?

What if any tool do you use to measure the leg?

Where on the coil do you begin to take the measurement?

How important is an accurate coil leg?

Fire away. No pun intended.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The leg length isn't the goal. Proper coil placement relative to the air flow is all that matters.

A longer leg is going to waste power because it is resistant so it's best to try to get the shortest possible leg length while making the best possible connection to the atty with the best coil placement for that atty.
Usually with bottom air flow you want to get it plumb with the hole and keep it close to the hole. Too close may cause you to inhale the juice when it spits so don't cover the hole up with the coil.
With side air you'll have to work out what's best for the atty. Sometimes it's square with the hole or a bit higher or with larger drip tips it may be better to bring the coils closer to the tip.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everything whiteowl said plus try to get the leg lengths as even as possible while placing the coil in the right spot. If one leg is longer than the other this happens...
31b38a8f8ac2ade0c88a633902932c9d.jpg

Notice the uneven coloration?
To get he best coil placement one leg had to be 3-4mm longer so then it didnt heat from the center of coil. Theres always a comprimise...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Leg length isn't important. Just remember that the entire coil length will heat up. The legs generally don't have wicking bringing juice to them, meaning the legs will heat up dry.

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ugh tried upload two pics files too large ugh got an alien Clapton set on my avacado bottom airflow rbta if anyone knows this atty then yall know it's a bitch to set both coils cause of the stacked coil design n leg length is short on one n to get the other to the proper position legs gotta be longer n with how wide the post are apart got to bendo n shape the legs with out damaging the coil

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Legs are lost ohms or lost watts.. it vaping power you can't use. They are measured from coil center to contact on post. The longer the legs the more power is lost.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Lizzardking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So if I install the opposite coil saying I should keep it higher than the bottom coil to prevent long legs

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So if I install the opposite coil saying I should keep it higher than the bottom coil to prevent long legs
Optimally all the legs would be the same length. Then repositioned for optimal vape.
In a stacked build I always install the coils centered evenly on the posts.... with legs long enough to allow for correct alignment.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors