Become a Patron!

Coil Recipes

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
Ive been making coils for a little bit now and I want to move up to a staple coil. Im interested in the wires needed to build certain coils , recipes sort of.
example.- Staple coil- 6 -8 plys .1x.5 ribbon and 34g wrap etc....

I dont have enough experience to know what kind of ohms im gonna end up with so I sure could learn a lot from you experienced builders there... give me a plan so to speak. I dont want to do Framed Staples yet , just a basic staple coil. The number of plys with ribbon is a huge "cheat" , haha. I would hate to build a beautiful couple sets of Staple coils that end up @ .05 ohms. Is there a "recipe" that would ohm at about .15-.18 in a dual coil set up? Heck , through out any and all recipes you have. I appreciate your time and your skills.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive been making coils for a little bit now and I want to move up to a staple coil. Im interested in the wires needed to build certain coils , recipes sort of.
example.- Staple coil- 6 -8 plys .1x.5 ribbon and 34g wrap etc....

I dont have enough experience to know what kind of ohms im gonna end up with so I sure could learn a lot from you experienced builders there... give me a plan so to speak. I dont want to do Framed Staples yet , just a basic staple coil. The number of plys with ribbon is a huge "cheat" , haha. I would hate to build a beautiful couple sets of Staple coils that end up @ .05 ohms. Is there a "recipe" that would ohm at about .15-.18 in a dual coil set up? Heck , through out any and all recipes you have. I appreciate your time and your skills.

Ahhh, wish there was. Instead, there is a recipe Creator!

*Dah dah dah dahhhhh!*

http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.html

Put in your coil size (change legs to 10mm or so), then select Clapton, move to the right and set up your cores as ribbon wire, click the little + to add more "ply", use the dropdown boxes to select the metal types and type in the size like 0.1 x 0.3 and voila - you'll see the resistance of a single coil back on the left!

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or download Vapetool from the Google play store and choose what coil you wanna build. Put in the wire and Walla
3a32a153cdb186df40c707ec9c1956ac.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
here's an example recipe in wirewiz, there are gonna be 13 boxes on the right, one for each piece of ribbon and one for the wrap

2.5mm diameter, 5 wraps (technically 4.5), 12 ply kanthal 0.3mm ribbon staple wrapped in 40g kanthal

wirewiz1.jpg wirewiz2.jpg wirewiz3.jpg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's all I used. The only coils that doesn't match up is the twisted coils. But it's probably my pitch being off. I love it other than that

You have to pay $3.49 to do staple coils...that's pretty cheap but I have $0 lol

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You have to pay $3.49 to do staple coils...that's pretty cheap but I have $0 lol
Ahh pro version. Yea sorry about that. I paid for it so long ago I forgot about that.

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the input ! I didnt realize i could do it on steam engine. I will give it a go. Does anyone know how many plys of ribbon will keep you above .1? I just dont want to work my butt off for coils Im scared to fire , hahaha

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ahh pro version. Yea sorry about that. I paid for it so long ago I forgot about that.

It's probably worth it, if it works. Being able to say "12 ply" instead of filling out 12 boxes saves a lot of time

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
Ahhh, wish there was. Instead, there is a recipe Creator!

*Dah dah dah dahhhhh!*

http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.html

Put in your coil size (change legs to 10mm or so), then select Clapton, move to the right and set up your cores as ribbon wire, click the little + to add more "ply", use the dropdown boxes to select the metal types and type in the size like 0.1 x 0.3 and voila - you'll see the resistance of a single coil back on the left!
Thank you very much. I will go play around with that. Its funny , im on steam engine all the time but never looked this far. awesome !!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for all the input ! I didnt realize i could do it on steam engine. I will give it a go. Does anyone know how many plys of ribbon will keep you above .1? I just dont want to work my butt off for coils Im scared to fire , hahaha

It depends on the size of ribbon, and the alloy (kanthal, nichrome, SS)

The More plies of ribbon, the Lower the resistance will be
Just use the Wire Wizard :idea:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And he's off to the races.

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
If i used steam engine correctly ....5 plys wrapped in 34g is about .34 ohms . So thats about .17 for a dual build. I can handle that or at least Mooch says my batteries can handle that. Trying to keep up with the drop down boxes was a pain but now i have it memorized so we are good !

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's probably worth it, if it works. Being able to say "12 ply" instead of filling out 12 boxes saves a lot of time
It still has individual boxes but it's super easy. Drop downs for wire type. Little dash on top right switches between round and ribbon. Always pops up at .1 and you just have to adjust the other number for width. Once you get used to it, it's great

a0f8b3c180b8917b1d3f9656b34d0e24.jpg

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
It still has individual boxes but it's super easy. Drop downs for wire type. Little dash on top right switches between round and ribbon. Always pops up at .1 and you just have to adjust the other number for width. Once you get used to it, it's great

a0f8b3c180b8917b1d3f9656b34d0e24.jpg
Its worth the 4 bucks to get this app. Especially if it is a one time thing. Im doing it right now

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
Got it, this app is awesome. I just wish it worked on my chromebook. Heck it should ....

VU Sponsors