Become a Patron!

Coil/wattage suggestions?

Notoriousjmc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sup everybody, pretty new to all this still but have been building my own coils thus far, so far so good. Question is regarding wattage and battery safety..I'm running a regulated sigelei 100w box with a dark horse rda. Coils are reading .27, using 24g kanthal and japanese cotton. I keep hearing about how I need to be careful with blowing up batteries...running my rda around 70 watts comfortably but may want to increase wattage but do not know enough about it to do it safely..someone help.

Are you dual coil or quad or single, what batteries are you using?

I'm going to guess you are dual coil 6 wraps with 3mm diameter coils. Which would put you at about 16 amps so if your are not using batteries that are rated for a high amp draw such vtc4 or vtc5 I would suggest not going any higher in watts even if you had Sony vtc batts, I do how ever recommand lower your wattage down to around 46w-48w

Last edited:

Notoriousjmc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dual coil, 6 wraps yes. Not precise on inside diameter of coils though as I just used a micro screw driver. If I had to guess I'd say it was closer to 2 mm though. And 2 18650 batteries

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
With a regulated mod, like the one you own, there's nothing to worry about blowing up batteries. You just need to use the recommended batteries (30-32 amp drain ability), in order to provide the necessary power to deliver the wattage. You only have to worry about it, when utilizing mechanical mods, that don't have the ability of electronics regulating the power, you're pulling from the battery.

Notoriousjmc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome! I had heard that just needed some clarification, so I would be safe to build .1 ohm coils if I ever wanted to? Not that I really feel the need to atm.

Which brand of 18650 batteries?
Nope I'm pretty sure your micro screw driver is either 3mm with 3mm lead to your contact post or 2.5 mm in diameter with 9mm leads

I would recommand doing this build if you have 26ga

Dual coil on 26ga kanthal 6wraps around 2mm in diameter with your leads about 3mm to 5mm in length running your coils at 27-41watts

You will get good coil heat flux- which means how fast your coils will heat up which still give a nice warm vape which is comparable to the 70watts you are doing currently

Your amp draw of your batteries will be less then 13amps which is better then what you had before also your battery life will last a little longer too

Notoriousjmc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Brand of batteries has me baffled...got them at my local vape shop they r just plain red with stickers saying the volts

Notoriousjmc

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've tried posting a picture but can't seem to figure it out, no stamping or marking on them at all. Just light red in color with a sticker saying 18650 3.7v 2500mah

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Awesome! I had heard that just needed some clarification, so I would be safe to build .1 ohm coils if I ever wanted to? Not that I really feel the need to atm.
If you have the proper batteries, in order to provide the necessary power, there shouldn't be a problem.

I personally use Sony VCT5 in my Sigelei 100 Plus and Sigelei 150W. Otherwise, on my mech mods I use the Efest 18650 (2500 mah) and 26650 (3500 mah).

After researching for a site for you to read up on I found this one.

Everyone always tell people to read up on ohms law well that great and dandy but what about the current law or voltage law and the relationship of power. Also how resistors actually work.

Hope this give you a better understanding when it come to battery safety

https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/ohm/

VU Sponsors