Become a Patron!

Cotton keeps burning on my RDA

Hello guys, first of all thanks a lot in advance for the help.

2 days ago I changed my coils and my cotton keeps burning as soon as I start vaping.
These are 2 Ni80 aliens coils at 0.15 ohm and the cottons burns even at 40 watt.
The chip is a DNA250c running in Wattage mode
The coil doesn't have hot spots.

kJZOyOP.jpg

Do you have any ideas what's going on?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The only thing which comes to mind for me would be the possibility of the juice used being too high in alcohol content or potency. I can observe from the picture you post here that the wicks do seem saturated appropriately. I can infer from observing your written text in the post that your coil set up, the mod, watts and those such vectors seem to appropriate as well. That is why I would check on the alcohol content as a possibility.

My humble apologies for using the italicized words. Without being with you and in the presence of the mod, the problem, I cannot be any further objective and maintain integrity of honesty. I can only give you and others who may read with similar problems, my best guess which amounts to speculation. You the reader then can take or leave that at face value. I hope my guess and advice albeit very short, offers help.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Too much cotton. You want to make sure that the cotton in dry stage has plenty of room, dragging it from the left to the right, should feel simple and not forced. Make sure before rolling/wicking the cotton that its fluffed out as good as it gets. Thicker cotton strings or broken up pieces within the wicking can lead too juice not traveling quick enough, especially thicker juices. Its an RDA and if you're not squonking and use thinner juices that barely stick too your wicking, cut the tails. You can have them very short, as long as they reach the well, fluff and thin them out as well. Gives you also more dripping space lol.

Some juices, especially commercial with lots of sugar and/or coffee, caramels, butterscotch and some tobaccos can and will leave this brown, orange/reddish discoloration in your wicking, it doesn't taste burnt but looks like it, but it takes a bit before seeing that. So I assume its the cotton, but you can try lowering wattage too. I don't vape Ni but ss and a 0.15 ohm build runs around 75-85 watts, so I doubt even taking a different material in consideration, that 40 watts would be too hot. We would also see that " burn" mark if its one on both sides not just one. But that's just my opinion, might be wrong as well.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Also, in the Goon, your coils look both too close to the center (and too far from the air holes) as well as too high up from the air holes.

You want air to get UNDER and around the side of the coil that is opposite the air holes in the top cap, and this means you need the coils farther out towards the edge and not so close to the posts.

As far as height goes, you want the coils positions such that when the cap is on, you can see the lower 3rd of the coil in the air hole, and some space below when you look into the air hole.

In building my Goon for the past 2 yrs, the above is the ONLY way I've gotten awesome flavor, as well as properly cooling the coil.

In your photo, air coming in from the hole in the top cap is only going to merely graze the surface of about 1/3rd of your coil before it goes up to the drip tip, and as such the other side of the coil is not getting cooled, is too hot, and thus burning your cotton.

Try another build with the coils farther out, almost touching the inside rim of the deck's edge and lower down and see if it works for you (which I am pretty sure it will) and please report back.

Be sure to check on a regulated mod (or Ohm reader like a 521 tab) with the top cap on to make sure that your coil position does not short against the top cap from the inside (this should be standard procedure with ANY atty build), especially BEFORE you put it on a mech and try to fire it (if you intend to use a mech).

Last edited:

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
40w is already low for a .15 ohm coil. My guess is cotton is broken inside the coil. Too much cotton will cause that

Guys thanks a lot for your answers! There are a few mistakes you made me notice and I will try to fix that.

I will use less cotton and I will follow Arthur suggestions for the positioning of the coils

Yes the juice is very sweet by the way (element pink lemonade) :p

submerger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
you should also check the ingredients in your juice a lot of juices contain a sweetener called Sucralose. that ingredient does not vape as evenly and as well with the other ingredients thus leaving a bit of crap behind that will not burn off and it will destroy your cotton and coil. if you ever heard the phrase coil killer juice it’s usually the sweeter liquids that are very thick and taste like cream, coffee, cotton, candy, and such.

VU Sponsors