cotton wicking question...

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i usually use readyxwick, but, for some unknown reason, i decided to wick my magma dripper with japanese cotton, dual coil configuration...
the coils (2) are 28 g kanthal, just shy of 2 mm inside diameter...total resistance is 1.1 ohm...coil type is kind of a hybrid between a spaced coil and a continuous shorting coil...
i am currently vaping @ 20 - 22 watts with a max vg blend e-liquid called "everydaydrip, bananas foster"...its really clear with a very, very slight yellow tint...
anyway, the cotton started out white, or as white as japanese cotton presents itself...and the more it gets used the darker the cotton is becoming...and is darkest were the cotton touches the positive and negative posts...
as the magmas chamber is depleted of liquid and less and less liquid is present in the cotton, the cotton starts to get white again, except where it touches the posts ( that portion of the cotton stays dark in color)...
the cotton directly under the coils is not burnt or charred at all...
the flavor of the bananas foster with this japanese cotton is impressive...
the wicking properties of the cotton took a while to really kick in and start to carry liquid to the coils, i may have slightly if ever so slightly a bit more cotton under the coil than is needed with this thick of an e-liquid, but dry hits are non existent and i can tell when its time to re-drip, from the flavor drop off...
sorrry to babble on so long... the question is...why is the cotton so dark where it contacts the positive and negative posts of the dripper as the wick decends into the reservoir?
or is this normal...keep in mind, im a readyxwick user and cotton/japanese cotton is new for me...

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not sure about why it would be dark in that specific area but I use Japanese cotton on all of my dripper. They all have a change in color in the cotton and will appear more of a white color when it starts to get dry. This usually tells me that I need to drip some juice on. Some juices will darken the cotton more than others, even clear ones. I've been vaping a juice from a local shop and it's a clear juice but after a few vapes it turns my cotton red, dark red, but the flavor is still as it was when I first rewicked. So what I'm saying is, lol, that I wouldn't sweat it. It's normal. As long as it doesn't affect the flavor then you're fine.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is probably caramelized liquid and it's in a spot its just gathering so it's staying dark.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
thanks for the replies...
saw some really scary test results for ceramic fibre (readyxwick/aspire wick)...
so learning all i can about cotton as a wick,so far in a dripper all is well...

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
It is trapped between the wick and post by capillary action. Same reason why water gets trapped in the wire intersections on a windowscreen.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Posting pics could really help cotton wickers give you specific tips on dialing in the setup on your device.

Hehe, cotton wickers... Made myself giggle.:D

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Them cotton wickers and their vape-a-doodles need to be dealt with dagnabbit!

VU Sponsors