Become a Patron!

Cubis Coil-Head + Dremel (parallel coils?)

kstat83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, I loved the idea of the Cubis, but the coil heads are starved for juice. The inlets are just too small IMO. Particularly for thicker juice. I just 80/20 and have some issues with it.

So I decided to cut one apart to see how they tick, and maybe work out a solution. As some of you may know, looking back at my TFV4 escapades I'm not one to leave things alone. OCD and all.

Here's the result:

623962c728aec18085d491989b30c033.jpg

33f2826af65b768b6f064a6dff72ec34.jpg

3aa3ef9fcd05de368fc6dafbd5245f5e.jpg

So left of center in the first two images you see an intact, new coil-head, with those wee little juice channel Inlets. To the right the one I cut apart (.5ohm 316ss FYI).

The last image shows the path inside the outer casing the juice must travel. From the angle it looks like wick would be right there at the bottom as soon as the juice clears the opening but that's not quite the case.

What I found is that not only does the juice have to make it through those itty-bitty openings at the bottom, it then has to travel UP that tiny channel between the inner and outer casing of the coil-head before it hits wick.

I'm going to take a stab at dremeling a slot from the juice flow opening upwards along the coil-head. That should both allow more juice in quicker, and also decrease the distance it must travel up before it can get past that inner sheath and to the wick.

As a side note, interesting that the coil itself appears to be run in parallel. I'd imagine this is more about achieving the desired resistance than performance though. Also of note, the coil's inner diameter is CRAZY small.

Probably nobody cares 'bout all this madness but I thought I'd share.

K-Stat

Edit: Final (hopefully) Result of slot cut into a new coil. This will either vape very nicely or be a flooded gurgling mess. I'll report back if there's any interest.

1b6e391391b0cfe37fbd22fd8d7e3551.jpg

238bd2f6d1142f710b82daad97801f62.jpg

DISCLAIMER: This work results in SS dust and you should be careful to clean everything and rinse the cotton thoroughly before using. Really you probably just shouldn't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kstat83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
UPDATE:

So far it's vaping exceptionally well. In wattage mode it accepts much more power for a fuller lung hit. And most importantly to me, in TC mode it's orders of magnitude better. In fact I was able to drop the temp setting from around 530 to 470-490 and still get a denser, better tasting vape.

These coils are starving for juice. Most people won't be willing to Dremel a slot in every coil-head. Neither will I most likely. But the design of this tank is so great I that needed to see how it could really perform.

If something changes and my modification has some detrimental effect on longevity or anything else I'll update again.

Cheers,
K-Stat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send your findings to Joyetech so they can do something about these coils. It was such a promising tank until you try it with the current coils. It just doesn't work. I can't get any consistent flavour and it produces constant dry hits. Thicker juice can't make it's way up those slits without opening the tank and releasing the pressure inside. But after that, you'll get liquid all over your mouth.

I hope they revisit this tank and fix the coil issue so we can enjoy it. I have a couple sitting around collecting dust. It's not enjoyable to use and I would not recommend it to anybody.

VU Sponsors