Become a Patron!

Damaged insulator

I was building coil and drying hitting my Goon Lost Art attached to an ohm meter when this happened. Resistance is 0.31 ohm. Basically, the insulator beneath the positive post has melted (See pic). It wasn't grotesquely deformed but the bottom surface is no longer even.
I'd like to ask if this is still safe to use.

HLbA4o2.jpg

Last edited:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Authentic Goon or clone? Safe to use... I would say no.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I was building coil and drying hitting my Goon Lost Art attached to an ohm meter when this happened. Resistance is 0.31 ohm. Basically, the insulator beneath the positive post has melted (See pic). It wasn't grotesquely deformed but the bottom surface is no longer even.
I'd like to ask if this is still safe to use.
Something definitely is not right. If it did that just building the coil, I would NOT recommend using it. How safe would it be if that melted through completely and shorted out the entire mod, or worse yet caused the battery to vent ... ? I strongly urge you to pick a different RDA/RTA/etc.

Good luck, HTH!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Daaaammmnnnnn

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Another "Hell NO!" vote here.

Which begs the question:
Can insultors be replaced, and does anyone sell replacement insulators or 510 pins?

I haven't touched that atty because I'm dubious of its safety. But with all your (strong) recommendation, I definitely won't be using it anymore. However, I am keeping it for spare parts. The melted insulator is stuck though.
Yes, it was a clone and a poor one at that. Authentics are hard to come by in my area. Will definitely buy the original now, even secondhand. Just have to be patient. Thank you all!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I haven't touched that atty because I'm dubious of its safety. But with all your (strong) recommendation, I definitely won't be using it anymore. However, I am keeping it for spare parts. The melted insulator is stuck though.
Yes, it was a clone and a poor one at that. Authentics are hard to come by in my area. Will definitely buy the original now, even secondhand. Just have to be patient. Thank you all!
I'm pretty sure others will say the same thing --- the majority of cloned atty's don't have PEEK insulators in them. They tend to use the cheap plastic that "looks" to be PEEK quality insulators. Always have to read the detailed description really close before purchasing and if it doesn't say PEEK insulator, don't buy it.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Watch our hardware sales threads -- there have been some Goons that have come through there. You could also post a WTB (want to buy) request in there. Someone may have an authentic there willing to sell ya.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
replace the insulator. Safety is first and foremost, ALWAYS!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
FastTech claims to be selling "clone" with PEEK insulators.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10021429/5585101

3fvape is selling what they claim as "authentic" Goon RDAs
http://www.3fvape.com/home/13698-au...zer-silver-stainless-steel-24mm-diameter.html

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
For the record, I'm not really sure it's "thread hijacking" if you started the thread ... LOL

Ok, I have a follow-up question regarding another RDA's insulator (Recoil RDA clone). I think there's a crack there. (See pic). The 510 pin is loose threaded. Is this safe to use?

hb3aanC.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I have a follow-up question regarding another RDA's insulator (Recoil RDA clone). I think there's a crack there. (See pic). The 510 pin is loose threaded. Is this safe to use?

hb3aanC.jpg
i too have the same problem with mine (Recoil RDA clone).
3K8wkBP.jpg
GFlJJVW.jpg
hSyuGcc.jpg
mVKlJXG.jpg

VU Sponsors