Become a Patron!

Damn sharp screws!

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My first single coil build on a magma went buttery smooth, Then I tried my first dual coil on an igo w5 and I'll be damned, those screws cut through my 28g kanthal every time. I took them out and smoothed them down on a fine flintstone - six coils later. It wasn't the prettiest build but I got a .74 reading which was about what I was trying to do. Guess I got some practice in. Makes me really appreciate all the work that our tutors put in to educate the rest of us. Thank you all for your help.
Is there a better way to smooth down sharp screws?

Dj Xy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dremel with a grinding stone, and a pair of needle nose pliers.

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I second the dremel, ive had to use them to shorten screws as it was touching the drip tip/top cap (btw it spot welded them together lol). i used a cutting bit and some channel locks (locking pliers) to hold them in place while i was grinding the ends off. Same concept just not taking as much off.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I second the dremel, ive had to use them to shorten screws as it was touching the drip tip/top cap (btw it spot welded them together lol). i used a cutting bit and some channel locks (locking pliers) to hold them in place while i was grinding the ends off. Same concept just not taking as much off.
Thanks, Alex. What do u mean it spot welded them together? You mean the top of the screws to ur drip tip/top cap?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep. It was on a raijin clone. I knew it had gotten a short, and i went to take out the drip tip and it wouldnt buge. Took of the top cap, and i had to put some ass on it to get it to open, and low and behold it had welded the drip tip, screws and part of the top cap together. Luckily the drip tip is what took most of the punishment lol. It still has some extra metal on the bottom of the tip where it welded together.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep. It was on a raijin clone. I knew it had gotten a short, and i went to take out the drip tip and it wouldnt buge. Took of the top cap, and i had to put some ass on it to get it to open, and low and behold it had welded the drip tip, screws and part of the top cap together. Luckily the drip tip is what took most of the punishment lol. It still has some extra metal on the bottom of the tip where it welded together.
Wow, hope that never happens to me. Thanks for the info.

VU Sponsors