Become a Patron!

Danger of Vaping with Nickel Wire (Ni200) What do you all think?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does A1 Ti work in the Sigelei? I only ask as in the instructions it just mentions Ni200, not titanium, and I know the D2 has seperate settings for titanium and Ni, so just worried the temp control would not work properly?

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A coat hanger will work to vape on it you can supply enough voltage. Temperature control, other Bullshit is Marketing ploys. Some great things exist. Some is BS. That's why You need to be a member of this Forum. We separate Bullshit from fact. :cool:

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
Does A1 Ti work in the Sigelei? I only ask as in the instructions it just mentions Ni200, not titanium, and I know the D2 has seperate settings for titanium and Ni, so just worried the temp control would not work properly?

Ni has a different formula than Ti, so you would have to adjust the settings. saw the exact math on a Ti product forum post on fasttech

TC isn't necessarily BS, it's protection from cooking the piss of your wick / juice. Dual purpose for me, to build a real vapourizer for .. other things

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can use TI on any mod that only has a setting for nickel. Just set it much lower - I run my TI coils around 310 on a Ni setting.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, think safest way to calibrate it would be with a Infared temperature reader (like for candy making / BBQ)
Hmm, ok, put it on the coil, and set it to a lower than normal to see what it really is kind of thing?
You can use TI on any mod that only has a setting for nickel. Just set it much lower - I run my TI coils around 310 on a Ni setting.

By much lower, how much lower do you mean if you don't mind me asking lol, I don't want to do anything dangerous, thats why I'm currently just using kanthal and no TC, but apparently the old CE4's were nickel wire, I was fine with them so a bit confused.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I may run a TI coil at 525F on Ti mode but only 310-320 on Ni mode. I start low and turn it up, but that's usually where I end up with Ti on a Ni setting. It's not that it's dangerous, it's more that if it's too high it'll burn!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I may run a TI coil at 525F on Ti mode but only 310-320 on Ni mode. I start low and turn it up, but that's usually where I end up with Ti on a Ni setting. It's not that it's dangerous, it's more that if it's too high it'll burn!
Ahhh fair enough, I like my vape quite cool ( at the moment with my throat and chest) so I would probably even use lower. That is good to hear it is not dangerous, I wonder why sigelei did not include a ti mode? Or will that be in the probably inevitable version 2, that I would also buy lol.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I gotta ask, what is that? It looks like the standard 100/150, I know I am probably miles off lol, what setup you using in the RDA? And what IS that RDA? it is quite cool.
It's a 100w Sigelei with a Fast Tech 12.00 30mm dripper. Goliath I think it's called. Using 2 .22 coils. Need good lungs to use it. Almost no restrictive air flow. 20watts produces unreal clouds.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a 100w Sigelei with a Fast Tech 12.00 30mm dripper. Goliath I think it's called. Using 2 .22 coils. Need good lungs to use it. Almost no restrictive air flow. 20watts produces unreal clouds.
I think I may have to get one of these. At 20 watts? Thats insane, I remember my mini couldn't really power 26 properly, I think it might of had a problem from the beginning, I thought because it was low wattage it was normal, but now I mainly vape at about 40 watts, 50 max really, and realise you don't need silly amounts to produce a big cloud, and also it tastes much better, 17-22 watts a coil than 30 watts a coil (60 watts) as that just produced loads of vapour, but was so hot it didn't really create a nice flavour.

I'm now chasing flavours, so guess I will be using lower wattages for the forseeable future, although it is fun to sometimes go a bit mad and fog the place up. It is so strange, fog manages to travel under my bedroom door, and into the lounge. Quite annoying for the people in the lounge, so I have to put a towel down by the door.

ren.dnb

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I'm gonna give titanium wire a shot. I really want to like temp control as there are aspects about it that I really enjoy.

Just for me, on an IPV4S, on a dual ni200 build (26g 3.0 ID 10/11 wrap):

Likes -
  • Loved the flavor! I did not taste anything off from the nickel metal
  • Building it was fun. I was intimidated by ni200 at first but.... its so soooooft!
  • It was cool to use my IPV4S in TC mode lol
  • Dripping lasts a lot longer
  • You never burn the wick
  • No more dry hits! Just, no more vapor if the wick is starting to dry out.
Dislikes -
  • The temp of the vapor. Ok, not a fan of the cooler vapor but I guess Kanthal has me expecting it now. I've grown to like it as it comes off very cigarette like and kept me off the damn things for this long now.
  • Vapor cloud was a bit thinner. I guess I'm a cloud chaser! But again, from my Kanthal build, I've grown to expect a big cloud especially from my drippers. In my head I think "hmm bigger cloud so I guess I'm getting more nicotine". That might not be true, but again, its a mentality thats kept me off cigs.
  • Loooong draws. I'm not a fan of taking long draws. I like them short and sweet.
  • All the talk that ni200 is not safe to vape on
I'm getting some titanium in this week and I'll do a build on that and see if I like it better. To stay on topic, all the stigmas that are floating around about ni200 is really bad. It did affect my mentality going into the ni200 coils but I gave it a chance. Also after awhile, I realized I was waaaay under the breakdown point for nickel so I knew that wasn't going to be a problem (leaching etc...). So, my opinion..... lets get some real science behind it and see whats discovered, but honestly since we're not going close to the breakdown point of nickel, we'll be ok. Besides, I'm with everyone else... people would be dead by now and ni200 pulled off the shelves for vaping by now.

Anyway.... I'll let you guys know how titanium treats me (and yes I read up on those risks as well but know how to deal with the coils safely).

I had purchased an evic tc kit which has a nickel coil and titanium coil. After using the nickel coil I broke out into hives. I quit using the nickel and went back to a kanthal coil, hives have not come back. I found out the hard way that I am allergic to nickel.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been Ti, and only Ti since getting my TC mod. I am pro-TC (and to reiterate what many have said, if you don't like it, fine, don't use it!).

I also agree that if you only have a "Nickel Mode" like I do, the temp does need to be set lower. I vape at 320-360F (depending on the juice) with my Ti coil. They can also work in wattage mode (since they're 0.4 ohm), and I vape around 17 watts if I want that experience.

I am getting some vapers cough lately. But i think that has more to do with vaping too much, and stopping smoking (as my lung cilia are growing back). I'mma start a thread on that because I'm a little troubled by that...

Copied this video to post here for getting your opinion, so what do you all think about what he is saying?
I would say that this guy made a video about something he didn't know about. Not only ythat he owns a shop and says that you control the amount of vapor on the bottom of the ego he showed us. Really he should have said its a VV/VW not control the vapor. But seriously its the same all over opportunists getting in where they can. But on the Ni200 i remember not too long ago when people said nichrome was no good and now i use nothing but n80 but i just got the snow wolf and will be getting my ni200 tomorrow hopefully im not going to listen to all the BS on the Internet like some do. we do not push the heat enough to cause what most people say is the problem with it. I have learned to be careful what to believe when it comes to all this. I do know that the regular mods are now cheaper that TC is such a big thing. Thats something to be happy about. I would say wait until there is more solid info if your that worried about it. i on the other hand will be doing my own research. awesome community here i am new to the forums but have read them foir a while. thanks for all the people that put good info out there. remember that some might have reason to talk bad about certain devices, rdas, batteries, and all types of other stuff. Take what you are not sure about with a grain of salt

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, so we're talking about nickel toxicity levels here...

Nickel is, relatively speaking, not that toxic. The extremely minor amount that one MIGHT consume and actually take into the bloodstream is almost nonexistent... micrograms at best. It's not like we're sitting there and eating our nickel coils. Not to mention, when nickel is accidentally ingested, the body isn't very good at absorbing it into the blood stream from the GI tract (because it's not supposed to! We need Iron, Cobalt, Copper, Manganese, Zinc, Selenium, even Tin naturally occurs in the human body, but Nickel is not one of these necessary elements.)

Anyway, this is a bunch of garbage from someone who knows nothing and likes to tell horror stories. Like most of the crap on the internet, ignore it... except cute cat videos :).

PS: I am in the sciences.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The statement to end all. We vape nickel in every pre built coil. Nichrome is either 60-80% nickel. Seriously get the tinfoil off of your heads! Or stop using premade coil heads(subtanks, Atlantis even ce4 have ni200 welded to the wire which heats up and is non temp control)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, statement does not end it all... it merely increases the breadth of the conversation to nearly all vapers. I still stand on the side of non-concern, though as we know, vaping is so new, we should always be aware of possible long term effects.

hmm got to be honest do as you see fit but i will never do Ni200 or ti coils. kanthal is fine for me. and after some research on Ni200 and ti sod that :S ppl pulsing Ni200 and using them on non temp control units and other horror storys. don't see the point in moving away from kanthal when it works fine :D

vapedick

Member For 4 Years
hmm got to be honest do as you see fit but i will never do Ni200 or ti coils. kanthal is fine for me. and after some research on Ni200 and ti sod that :S ppl pulsing Ni200 and using them on non temp control units and other horror storys. don't see the point in moving away from kanthal when it works fine :D
I agree. I've been enjoying my horse and carriage and typewriter a lot lately... It's fine for me. Those cars and computers are scary.

You could always just not dry burn it, and make sure you use it on a temp control mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lmao it has nothing to do with a lack of courage in trying new things. after all i m vaping and on a snow wolf. but there are far more dangers KNOWN dangers with Ni200 and TI compared with kanthal. i m completly satisfide with flavour from kanthal and jap cotton. don't see the point in playing with fire for the sake of proving i can :). but as i stated feel free to try and enjoy. we all free too.

VapeDogg22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm taking the same approach to TC vaping devices as I do with the tech world.... Wait until the second generation to jump on board.

In other words i'm not buying anything TC for a few more months.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am going to use it. I do use it. Works better than Kanthal from what I have seen. After smoking 43 years, I'm not that worried about it. :cool:

spookiewon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sigh.....this is getting a bit out of hand with people spouting random crap they know nothing nor do they have masters or PhD in metals. We used to smoke, dip and chew stuff with 100+ chemicals. I know vaping is not 100% safe but it fulfills my nicotene needs, satisfies the blowing "smoke" I like and I feel 1000 times better than when I smoked. Shit nothing in life is totally safe. I say pick your poison and enjoy yourself because we all are on our way out, so act accordingly.

I actually work in a metals manufacturing plant (though I do IT there) and work with masters degree chemists and chemical engineers. So I've asked experts about this. My boss is a masters in chemical engineering. He doesn't see that nickel is a problem at the temps my mod can generate in temp mode.

You should never vape Ni200 on a mod that is not temp controlled, however.

spookiewon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ni has a different formula than Ti, so you would have to adjust the settings. saw the exact math on a Ti product forum post on fasttech

TC isn't necessarily BS, it's protection from cooking the piss of your wick / juice. Dual purpose for me, to build a real vapourizer for .. other things

If a mod doesn't have a setting for titanium, it won't read the temperature of a titanium coil correctly. Temp control mods tell the temp by measuring the resistance--which in nickel and (to a lesser extent) titanium varies by temperature much more than in say, kanthal or stainless steel. They don't read temp directly. So the temp isn't correct if you're using titanium on a Ni200 setting.

I've heard it said that you can just set your temp about 100 degrees (fahrenheit) lower and use titanium coils on a Ni200 setting. That when a Ni200 setting reads titanuim, it's about 100 degrees hotter than it says. So to vape at 400 degrees, you'd set the mod for 300 degrees. Since overheating titanium--even to the point that they glow bright orange, can release toxic titanium dioxide gas, this might not be safer, necessarily.

Both of these things (nickel or titanium risks) are unlikely to happen with temp control mods--which typically don't support temps these problems could occur at--but could be a problem with these coils used on non-temp controlled mods.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have read, watched, & spoken to some renown people in this field. I think the likelihood of harm from these media for ME is not enough to preclude their use. Even if they are harmful I'm old an EX smoker so I have little to loose. I have lived 20 years longer than any male in my family line (so far) that in itself is damned impressive. :) I'm going with Heaven don't want me & Hell is afraid I will take over. :cool:

sprojam34

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree. I've been enjoying my horse and carriage and typewriter a lot lately... It's fine for me. Those cars and computers are scary.

You could always just not dry burn it, and make sure you use it on a temp control mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if you short your coil and pop it we never come close to liquid metal that it takes to become toxic kanthal nicrome wire has a lower liquid temp and it's ok this is hoopla! Show me one test showing a mod even getting close to those Temps. It's like the fermaldahyde study let's keep the facts to around what we are doing, and stop with the scare tactics!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

HitShane

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Copied this video to post here for getting your opinion, so what do you all think about what he is saying?

So, if you use a juice with acids in it, the metals will leach, because there is a chemical reaction taking place...

READ------> http://www.happy-mothering.com/02/h...-from-stainless-steel-to-glass-water-bottles/

ALSO: "Get a Cooking Pan, put about half an Inch of White Vinegar into the Pan, put an inverted Shot Glass in the middle of the Pan, Balance the Part on top of the Glass, and bring the Vinegar to the Boil ( DO THIS OUTSIDE, OR YOU COULD FACE LUNG DAMAGE AT LEAST, OR WORSE THE DIVORCE COURTS) put the Lid on the Pan, and Simmer for about 30 Mins, the Acid created by the Boiling strips the Nickel from the Brass. You might have to repeat the process a couple of Times, but it Works.
icon_smile.gif
"

Acids and many chemicals used in flavorings will eat metals and guess where that metal goes? In a lab, these chemicals are normally used to strip metals, and this method is accelerated by heating up the chemicals. Most fruit and custard flavors (since everyone cried about Diacetyl) have acid's as the base molecule.

Last edited:

spookiewon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, if you use a juice with acids in it, the metals will leach, because there is a chemical reaction taking place...

READ------> http://www.happy-mothering.com/02/h...-from-stainless-steel-to-glass-water-bottles/

ALSO: "Get a Cooking Pan, put about half an Inch of White Vinegar into the Pan, put an inverted Shot Glass in the middle of the Pan, Balance the Part on top of the Glass, and bring the Vinegar to the Boil ( DO THIS OUTSIDE, OR YOU COULD FACE LUNG DAMAGE AT LEAST, OR WORSE THE DIVORCE COURTS) put the Lid on the Pan, and Simmer for about 30 Mins, the Acid created by the Boiling strips the Nickel from the Brass. You might have to repeat the process a couple of Times, but it Works.
icon_smile.gif
"

Acids and many chemicals used in flavorings will eat metals and guess where that metal goes? In a lab, these chemicals are normally used to strip metals, and this method is accelerated by heating up the chemicals. Most fruit and custard flavors (since everyone cried about Diacetyl) have acid's as the base molecule.

Ti won't leech because it forms a coating of titanium dioxide nearly instantly, which prevents it being in direct contact with liquid. This is why it's used for joint replacements. TiO2 is almost completely inert, and is considered GRAS. It's in lots of foods.

And in your experiment, acid isn't created by boiling. Vinegar IS acid, and in your experiment you're simply vaporizing it. It would be effective to just soak the item in the vinegar--the acid is already there, though vinegar is a pretty dilute acid.

HitShane

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Last edited:

HitShane

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ti won't leech because it forms a coating of titanium dioxide nearly instantly, which prevents it being in direct contact with liquid. This is why it's used for joint replacements. TiO2 is almost completely inert, and is considered GRAS. It's in lots of foods.

And in your experiment, acid isn't created by boiling. Vinegar IS acid, and in your experiment you're simply vaporizing it. It would be effective to just soak the item in the vinegar--the acid is already there, though vinegar is a pretty dilute acid.
The reason they steamed the item was to remove the plating and not eat into the item itself.

psyshack

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm a new vaper at only two months. But I think it's all better than three packs of cigs a day.Or would that be stinkys in the vape world? :)

HitShane

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update I tried to switch to Ni200 coil heads in my SubTank. It caused bad abdominal pains and issues. When I stopped using those coils the problems stopped. I actually stopped vaping for 4 hours in the middle of the day and the pains went away. As soon as I started vaping again they came right back. Tossed the Ni coils and now I'm fine. I really wanted these to work too, as I have a TC device :/ Hopefully Kangertech will come out with the Sus and Ceramic coils after Chinese new year they promised...

VU Sponsors