Become a Patron!

Dark Horse clone, burnt taste

So just as the title says, I recently got a dark horse clone off of ebay, the one Joe's posted about several weeks ago and no matter what I put on it, it tastes burnt. I know how to build been doing it for about 6 months now, but no matter what coil I put on it, it tastes burnt. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... Could it be something with the rda isn't right?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
did you make sure to wash it first?

I did, with warm soapy water and rinsed it thoroughly. Thats why I don't get it. I have several other rda's, igo-w, helios, veritas, and magma, and none of them do that.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
check the bottom of your Delrin mouthpiece to see if it is melting a little from hot coils, I have a plume veil that acted that way only to find I was charring my delrin drip tip sleeve on it.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
check the bottom of your Delrin mouthpiece to see if it is melting a little from hot coils, I have a plume veil that acted that way only to find I was charring my delrin drip tip sleeve on it.
Ok,this is just from what i learned on my dark horse clone and may have just been a fluke happenstance for me; there may be a hot leg or even two... The post hole are huge, if youre running a dual coil make sure the pos post wires are side-by-side and each are touching both the post and screw. If they got sandwiched (at least on mine) the top wire only hit the screw,the bottom wire hit the post. Youd think it wouldnt make much difference but it got me a hot leg on both sides and the burnt flavor you mentioned. I only found it because it would burn the cotton on the same side of the coil every time and always in the spot.

Last edited:

punishedprimate

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i know people who have been burned (literally) from ebay clones. had a battery explode in an overdose clone he bought from ebay. i dont buy mechs from anybody but reputable dealers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have come to the conclusion after multiple washes that its something in the plastic, either the insulator for the pos pin, or the plastic used for the top. It has a very strong burnt smell. You can smell it even after its been washed and dried thoroughly. I will keep in mind the coil contacts, however I do believe the issue is not with how I build it, as I tried multiple times with single coils. The plastic isn't burnt, as I never used it long enough to do any damage. Took maybe a few pulls and it was noticed immediately. Thanks for all the feedback, I guess at this point its just going to be a paper weight. I can't see vaping on something that taste like burnt rubber. Its a shame because I really like the look and easy of building on it. Thanks everyone.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have come to the conclusion after multiple washes that its something in the plastic, either the insulator for the pos pin, or the plastic used for the top. It has a very strong burnt smell. You can smell it even after its been washed and dried thoroughly. I will keep in mind the coil contacts, however I do believe the issue is not with how I build it, as I tried multiple times with single coils. The plastic isn't burnt, as I never used it long enough to do any damage. Took maybe a few pulls and it was noticed immediately. Thanks for all the feedback, I guess at this point its just going to be a paper weight. I can't see vaping on something that taste like burnt rubber. Its a shame because I really like the look and easy of building on it. Thanks everyone.
Put up a photo if anything looks out of the ordinary im sure someone will find it

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok,this is just from what i learned on my dark horse clone and may have just been a fluke happenstance for me; there may be a hot leg or even two... The post hole are huge, if youre running a dual coil make sure the pos post wires are side-by-side and each are touching both the post and screw. If they got sandwiched (at least on mine) the top wire only hit the screw,the bottom wire hit the post. Youd think it wouldnt make much difference but it got me a hot leg on both sides and the burnt flavor you mentioned. I only found it because it would burn the cotton on the same side of the coil every time and always in the spot.
Huh... I've been having that same problem with my DH, the cotton on one side gets burnt a lot quicker than the other side... guess i'll have to check out my pos post connections lol

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
just had a customer in the shop with a dark horse and we came up with a possible idea to try. better air flow will help keep things cooler.now, the dark horse claims 32 possible airflow configurations.theres really only 16 positions but the holes in the airflow ring are slightly off center. so if you flip the ring over you cut the air in half. if you run full air as opposed to half air you may lose a bit on flavor but things should stay a bit cooler.

VU Sponsors