Become a Patron!

Debate: Charge through MOD USB or External Charger????

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just bought a VOOPOO DRAG. Loving it so far. It might sound stupid but I hate external battery chargers. They're inconvenient. What are your thoughts on charging through the USB port? It seems like the device is very secure with 8 ways of security from power and short circuits. I always read that you can use the USB port but its always better to use external batteries. What do you guys think? Honestly I'd rather use the USB port for ease of use. I'm using the LG HG2 batteries.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The internal battery charging circuitry in a mod is best used only for emergency uses. Everything about most external chargers is built to be more robust and better long-term quality than is the circuitry inside the mod.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just bought a VOOPOO DRAG. Loving it so far. It might sound stupid but I hate external battery chargers. They're inconvenient. What are your thoughts on charging through the USB port? It seems like the device is very secure with 8 ways of security from power and short circuits. I always read that you can use the USB port but its always better to use external batteries. What do you guys think? Honestly I'd rather use the USB port for ease of use. I'm using the LG HG2 batteries.
I have been charging DNA 250 and Fuchai Duo and Smoant Battlestar and The New Cylon and they provide a .68 to .90 amp charge and yes balanced charge for months now and nothing has blown up melted down..... You yes it's okay......

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I guess it's also interesting to me because the mod has the capability of equal chargin of the batteries and yet I hear people say charge externally

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I guess it's also interesting to me because the mod has the capability of equal chargin of the batteries and yet I hear people say charge externally

People still say that...even mod making companies, often, but I charge my mods by USB. I choose to not charge at the full 2 amp rate, though, because my mods get too warm for my comfort. Mods also will not charge batteries to a full 4.2 volts, but for me the convenience is worth it.
I may be wrong but my opinion is if a mod was designed to have charging capability, if there is no defect, then it's fine to use the mod to charge. There are exceptions though, hence the standard of recommending an external charger.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I’ve been vaping for over three years now, have charged batteries both ways and never an issue with either method. I’ve also read of a few charger fires and mod fires while charging but those have been rare. If it’s a mod with a good reputation feel free to charge with the mod. If it’s a charger with a good reputation for the model then charge away. What I don’t recommend is charging overnight - never do that. I also recommend putting your mod or charger on a non-combustible surface while charging.
I bought a 4 bay charger and charge 4 18650 batteries at a time these days with the charger on a metal surface in the garage, love that convienence and the charger shows me battery capacity charged (or total capacity if I test it). But some of my mods are internal batteries and I charge them with USB and a wall wart.

Last edited:

tnobis

Member For 1 Year
I just got the g-priv 2 and everything I’ve read says you can charge it by the port. But I still use my nitecore charger.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some devices... are better platforms for on board charging than others.....

If the USB port/connection is crappy or flimsy... and you USB is also used for updates or programming. You might consider avoiding using the port for charging....

Some warnings don't apply to current gear. Balance charging on a mod is new... so advice may not apply to NEW
Mods all the time.

It's like talking about OHMS when using a regulated mod. It means NOTHING.

Batteties are the weakest link in a mod.... and they have a habit of going critical when being charged....

not all mods can be used when charging. cords too short.

If i HAD to charge using the on board I would need to carry a second device to use while charging. Easier to swap batts... and charge the dead ones when I get home.

But the charger is there and I do use mine occasionally. in the car.. didn't bring spare batts. It's backup to my main charger at home.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I try and stick to external charging if batteries are removable

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well taking out batteries and charging external is the best way....

But the best premium chargers charge at exactly .68 amps..... If your mod charges at .68 amps or below the batteries will have a good life.....

Charging them at above 1.0 amp is what shortens the life..... I have been using the same 3 cells in a Boxer mod for nine months and I plug the mod when the power level hits 10% and plug her to my computer USB.

The batteries hold charge and work as they originally did. I have taken them out after charging in the mod and the external charger charges them even more, which means charging them internally in the mod does not over charge the cells.

So it's not unsafe to charge them in the mod. That's my main concern is catching your house on fire or blowing yourself up.

But if you want to do it the proper way is use an external charger......

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I recommend not charging in the mod just because we don't know if that particular circuit is reliable and safe or not. It's faster, easier to monitor, and just overall safer to use a good external charger and charge the battery in that. It makes it easier in a million ways AND it saves your USB connector from wear and tear... in case you need to do an upgrade of the firmware inside the device.
Code:
https://youtu.be/eCRvh0QAZ1k?t=605

VU Sponsors