Become a Patron!

Deciding mixing percentages

lownote2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not new to vaping, but relatively new at diy. Been trying my hand at it for a couple of months off and on. I've made some things I didn't mind, others not so good. Still haven't hit on that one flavor that wows me and makes me proud. So I really have been buckling down lately on reading reading and more reading and experimenting. Biggest problem now is the wallet and wanting to order a lot more flavors lol. I've got plenty of nic and pg/vg.

So recently just tried flavourart and really like their stuff. I mixed a bunch of 10ml bottles of the solo flavors in a 50/50 with no nic just to get used to the flavors.

Now that I know the flavors, here is my question, and here is where I seem to struggle: Lets say I really like the butterscotch stand alone at 4%. And the custard is great as a stand alone at say 5%, and a cream great at a stand alone at 4% as well. Let's say I want a mixture where butterscotch was the main flavor, with a creamy caramel undertone. How do I decide the flavor percentages? My thinking is that all the flavors are going to be needing to be toned down so my flavor percentages aren't crazy, but I still want to taste them. So then what? Drop butterscotch to 3%, custard and cream to 1% for a total of 5% and then go from there? All of this is just an example.

Hopefully this makes sense what I am trying to ask. This is where I can't seem to get past. I can get ok flavors, but not what I am necessarily going for. I have in my head what I want to do, but when mixing it just doesn't come out that way.

Maybe that's the trial and error part of it I still need to get used to.

And to throw in another question. Anyone have a good palate cleansing technique when vaping? Sometimes when trying flavors, it seems I have a harder time detecting things without taking a long break. That's just a side question though. I'm really enjoying the diy adventure, and am so thankful for everyone's input on this site. Glad to have found this place.

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's something I remembered I had copied into my notes that may help. I don't remember the source unfortunately.

say you want to taste mostly flavor A. You want flavors B and C equally together in the background. Instead of 1/3 for each, think in percents like this:
flavor A 50%
flavor B 25%
flavor C 25%
(They add up to 100% of the flavoring in the recipe. It'll taste half like flavor A, half like an equal mix of B and C).

Your standalone percents of the three flavors are like this:
flavor A 3%
flavor B 6%
flavor C 9%

multiply to get your recipe:
Flavor A 50% of 3% = (.5 x .03) = 1.5%
Flavor B 25% of 6% = (.25 x .06) = 1.5%
Flavor C 25% of 9% = (.25 x .09) = 2.25%

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't remember if Candy Corn is a palate cleanser or a taste enhancer. Need someone else to verify which. You might want to pick some up.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just also read re the candy corn.. thinking enhancer .. welcome @lownote2 .. check out some of the recipes posted in the recipe thread .. I am new as well but getting good results by 'modeling' the ratios i see .. at least so far anyway.. creme's and custards, it seems to me tend to work as a base or foundation..propping up a main flavor you might prefer .. but also some subtleties I don't yet grasp... hope this helps ya !

VU Sponsors