Become a Patron!

Defiance: Season 3 Premiere Review

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Warning: full episode spoilers follow.

Just a couple notes to start things off. Since SyFy aired the first two episodes of Defiance Season 3 as a more or less contiguous movie, I'm reviewing them both together. As with last season, I probably won't be doing weekly reviews, but I may check in periodically and will definitely revisit the show at the end of the season.

Last year's finale ended with three major cliffhangers. In terms of the larger Defiance universe, the most significant was that Irisa (controlled by the artificial intelligence known as the Kaziri) destroyed New York City, decimating the Earth Republic and one of the largest population centers left on this post-apocalyptic world. Irisa and her adoptive father, Nolan, were left sealed in a life pod and buried alive underneath the rubble of the McCawley mines. Meanwhile, Rafe McCawley found himself untied with the Tarr family as they hunted down his unstable ex-wife, Pilar, and their kidnapped children. All told, it was plenty of good setup for the new season. But with Season 2 so often failing to take advantage of its own story potential, there was no guarantee Season 3 would be any better. Luckily, there's more cause to be optimistic this year.

Continue reading…

Continue reading...

VU Sponsors