Become a Patron!

Dehydrating a lot of Habaneros... 0_o

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup, I'm a crazy chilehead.
smileygarden_de_banana7.gif

So, when I got a good price on some better-than-usual Orange Habs, I picked up like 3 lbs of the suckers. They don't weigh much either. ;-)

I did say a lot...

HGJkqP6l.jpg

I put a burrito-tort ziplock bag full in the freezer, picked out some of the primo ones to keep fresh, and the rest are gonna be dried for storage or making powder.

This was a lot of work. Each pepper had to be de-stemmed, plus examined for bad seeds, rot or mold. Then they got cut in half for drying.

r9BBSJrl.jpg

Yes, I wore my nitrile gloves just as if I was handling 100mg Nic, but it only staves off the capsaicin-laden juices for so long. By the last tray, even with wearing the gloves, my fingers were starting to tingle and burn a little....rut roh. Let's just say, "Hunan Hand" can be a real PITA. I know, as I've had it many times to some extent. (You do build up a tolerance to Capsaicin after a while though)

Some Info:
Hunan Hand and how to tackle the burn

Source: http://www.thechileman.org/guide_heat.php

Hunan hand' (also known as 'Chile Willy') is the name given to the skin irritation caused by capsaicin as a result of contact with Chile peppers. It is said to have obtained its name from an unfortunate young man who burst into a clinic in Chicago, waving his hands and moaning in pain. With some difficulty he described that he had been in the midst of preparing a Hunan Chinese lunch with hot peppers. 'Jalapeno eye' will also be known to Chile growing contact lens wearers.

Capsaicin, one of the most powerful chemicals know to man has no flavour, colour or odour and is unaffected by cooking, grinding or freezing. Although it is readily soluble in fats (like skin), pure alcohol and some oils it is not soluble in water which is why gulping down pints of water to fan the flames will simply swill the substance around your mouth and make it even worse! Downing pure alcohol would kill you and therefore is also a bad idea.

When handling hot Chile peppers, ALWAYS wear a pair of disposable gloves and preferably eye protection. Most Chile enthusiasts have heeded this warning at some time. Believe me you will only make this mistake once!

If you are unfortunate to get struck down by Hunan Hand, dowse the affected part with a mild bleach solution, vegetable oil or milk all of which will help easy the pain (in time). Do not using these treatments for Jalapeno eye! A cool wet towel and a lie down is probably the best remedy.

Ahhhhh.....so much for that.
Just look at those hellish little monsters though, they are just so beautiful.
satanic-0052.gif

Six full trays worth. That's about two more than I'd planned on, but it's all good.

O7DPhUtl.jpg

You can't imagine what my Apt. smells like right now while drying these chiles.
It is a sweet, fragrant semi-citrus sort of aroma - like apricots with just a touch of Tear Gas.

It's been over 3 hrs. now, and they are getting to the point of needing to rotate the top and bottom trays to keep them even. I can't wait until they are done and cooled though. Grinding them into yummy powder will be the REAL Mad Scientist part: it'll be donning full mask and eye protection time then.

kool_105-albums-animated-gif-s-picture95282t-devil-fire-devil-fire-monster-smiley-emoticon-000833-large.gif

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I grow jalapenos, Jamaican chilies and ghost peppers along with hot tamales and this by accident green peppers.. I have never dehydrated them always canned them. Use'm in everything I go through about 10 quarts of canned peppers a year. Last year I did make a peppers paste in the food processor at the end of the season with a mix of peppers that were left in garden and tired of canning, it turned out great and was used up pretty quickly. Toast up some dill rye bread apply layer of paste and top with tuna... that was perfection.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I grow jalapenos, Jamaican chilies and ghost peppers along with hot tamales and this by accident green peppers.. I have never dehydrated them always canned them. Use'm in everything I go through about 10 quarts of canned peppers a year. Last year I did make a peppers paste in the food processor at the end of the season with a mix of peppers that were left in garden and tired of canning, it turned out great and was used up pretty quickly. Toast up some dill rye bread apply layer of paste and top with tuna... that was perfection.

Sounds great! :)

Apartments suck for that though. I gave growing indoors a try back in 2008 when I was more involved with the chilehead community, but without expensive grow lights and a wad of cash for the electric bill (assuming I didin't get evicted for having a "grow-op") , it just ain't that feasible for me. I can buy Habs and Asian/Mexican/Jala/Seranno stuff pretty much year-round anyways.

Canning is a good option for sure, except I really don't have the space to keep a bunch of jars in here.
I like to use frozen on pizzas or what-have-you too. And Habanero powder is just awesome. I use it in rubs for meats, added to seasoning salts, sprinkled on eggs, etc. You can add that heat and flavor to about anything and it'll last for a long time. Try powdering some dried habs with ground-up crisp bacon and a bit of sea salt....frigging unreal.

Last edited:

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I see the prices of peppers here in the store and it makes me wonder if its worth it. I just keep telling myself mine are herbicide and pesticide free and I can eat mine right out of the garden no washing needed. And yes my corn and tomatoes are the same way and yeap when Im out working in the garden I do eat what I want while working in it. lol cant say I would eat anything from the store or someone else without cleaning and cooking it first.
I have a dehydrator/steamer only ever used it to steam rice tho.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Other than what you said about knowing your own quality and having organically grown food, there is also the part about having the FRESH extreme chiles you just can't buy in a grocery store. (although I can buy Bhut Jolokia dried pods in a grocery store here)

I have seeds for tons of crazy peppers; Brain Strain 7-pods, Chocolate Scorpions and Chocolate 7-pods, Fatalis, Barrackpore 7-pods, Dorset Naga, etc. I just can't grow them. :(

Growing your own, you get higher quality and far hotter pods too. Most US-sold peppers are engineered to be weaker than they could be, since most Americans just aren't chileheads. ;-)

These hab pods came from my Mexican store and I even saw the crate...they were grown in Mexico. Woot! Super pungent and the insides are just loaded with the "sap" of fury.

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If your ever around mayfield Kentucky they have a little BBQ joint "larry darrel and darrel bbq" he'll make you a bbq sauce out of ghost peppers that will rock your world. The smoked meats were OK but that sauce was to die for. He ended up giving me a pint that he just made up because peeps dont usually eat it. I woofed down 3 table spoons and my mouth went numb... I was still smiling tho and he brought me a couple slices of tomatos to neutralize the acids and then I kept eating lol. You have to ask for the good stuff and it takes a couple 15-20 minutes for him to make it and bring it out at least on that day it did.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice...I like taking "generic" stuff like Stubbs or Sweet Baby Ray's and shoving some Bhut Jolokia powder in there and letting it set a spell to meld. :D

I have a lot of superhot sauces, but kinda save them for occasional use now...just too pricey to replace. They are all natural and most aren't from the USA.. (UK/AU mostly)

I don't like the extract-based sauces much at all, although I do have a couple 7 and 15mil Scoville ones that I use for mainly cooking as additives.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All done now. They turned out beautifully. :D
That is all six trays worth right there. They really shrink down a lot.

Filled up a 10.5oz.instant coffee jar about 2/3 full with the goodness. Amazing that all those peppers end up just in that small space, eh?

(The white thing is a silica gel packet to help prevent oxidation)

I think I'll keep them intact for now.
Like coffee, once you grind them up, the increased area of exposure to air will make them oxidize faster. I can just throw a few pods in my grinder as needed anyways.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
haha!! all one needs now is an ice cold barley pop to go with.. :D

Oh, I got that covered. ;-)

Haha...barley pop...haven't heard that saying in years. I had a Cheesehead roomate back in the 90's and he'd say that. :)

VapDrak

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Found you Chileheads!!! :)
Thanks for the link Caff, sorry I can't send you Aji, don't think they would make it through customs...
They grow everywhere here, my house is at 2600 mt and I have them in the garden, on the beach the same as in the jungle...
I live in a Chile paradise ;)

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
all my pepper plants are doing great and producing fruit except for the ghost peppers. one looks to be near death and the other looks good but no flowers no buds no fruit :) All in So IL. and a lot of goat poooo. tilled in 1200lbs of goat pooo in a 7x30 garden. 2 of the hot chile plants turned out to be green peppers lol thats fine I'll eat them also.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Found you Chileheads!!! :)
Thanks for the link Caff, sorry I can't send you Aji, don't think they would make it through customs...
They grow everywhere here, my house is at 2600 mt and I have them in the garden, on the beach the same as in the jungle...
I live in a Chile paradise ;)

Wooot...good to see ya man. :D

Yeah, I remember your cookout pics...heheh...

VapDrak

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to see ya too :D
Nice place,huh? I think this time we found a new home...
I'm still roaming around in the few bits of time I have and still learning my way around here. For example: couldn't find the reply with quote thingie...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good to see ya too :D
Nice place,huh? I think this time we found a new home...
I'm still roaming around in the few bits of time I have and still learning my way around here. For example: couldn't find the reply with quote thingie...

Yeah, it's different than our old haunts....not vBulletin but a fork of it.
Reply apparently auto-quotes then "saves" it...so if you hit "reply" to the right of the post on more than one person, then you'll see multiples.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Last edited:

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I love all chiles! My favorite these days is Chile de Manza, great heat with a sweet flavor! If you have not tried them yet, do it, you will loooove them.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@CaFF was thinking bout you just now..

I completely forgot about these.. :D
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/worlds-hottest-pepper-is-grown-in-south-carolina/

How hot? A Habanero pepper averages about 225,000 SHU on the Scoville scale. Law Enforcement pepper spray is about 500,000 SHU. The Carolina Reaper averages 1,569,300 SHU, with a peak of about 2.2 million SHU. WHEW!

View attachment 3048

That is a form of the Scotch bonnet, came from the Caribbean with the Africans and Pirates from back in the day. Carolinas are notorious for having the best of the Caribbean peppers! There are rumors that Black Beard himself weaseled his way out of capture often , by bribing the Naval fleets with loads of peppers!

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ghost.jpg
Well only two of the "ghost" plants have survived and producing fruit. Pic is 2 weeks old they have gotten larger and started changing in color. If Im lucky I'll get 35-40 peppers. Jamaican Chilies only one plant has survived this summer those have a nice heat to them nothing crazzy prolly around 100k scovile units. The jalapenos this year are lame you get more kick out of ground black pepper lol they are good in salads tho and to add coloring to a omelet in the morning.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
That is a form of the Scotch bonnet, came from the Caribbean with the Africans and Pirates from back in the day. Carolinas are notorious for having the best of the Caribbean peppers! There are rumors that Black Beard himself weaseled his way out of capture often , by bribing the Naval fleets with loads of peppers!

Don't forget, Capt Jack has his island on our coast ;)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@CaFF was thinking bout you just now..

I completely forgot about these.. :D
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/worlds-hottest-pepper-is-grown-in-south-carolina/

How hot? A Habanero pepper averages about 225,000 SHU on the Scoville scale. Law Enforcement pepper spray is about 500,000 SHU. The Carolina Reaper averages 1,569,300 SHU, with a peak of about 2.2 million SHU. WHEW!

View attachment 3048

Nice!

Haven't had those, but I have sauces and powder from the ButchT which was the "old" highest.
I actually knew the guy that discovered them and for whom they are named. :)

A buddy in AU grows crazy peppers and sent me this little care package awhile back:

2hf1253.jpg

Most of the top-10 hottest peppers are in there. :D

What I wouldn't do for a Fatali or Yellow 7-pod that is fresh.
Fatali's IMO, have the BEST flavor in chiledom.

480px-FataliScale.JPG

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=fatali&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
WoW CaFF.. all I can say is.. got any cold Corona's of Killian's?? :rolleyes:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
WoW CaFF.. all I can say is.. got any cold Corona's of Killian's?? :rolleyes:

Assume you mean Corona or Killian's Red? Nope. Hate Corona and Killian's is overpriced for what it is. Tons of local microbrews here that are much better.

For cheap, I tend to like Tecate because the close-by store doesn't have much. I do have a nice cold PBR in the fridge though. ;-)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
omg not!! PBR... :rolleyes:
will take a good rum then.. on the rocks with some cool fruit hanging off.. :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't often drink beer, but when I do, its Newcastle.

Awww.... I like Newcastle Brown.
I really miss my old Apt's corner store..right across the street. They had Newky and even Sheaf Stout. All I have now a a tiny MX store. Bah.

Now as far as better things to drink go...this was a B-Day a few years ago....good times...

dqgk6.jpg

Damn, now I'm thirsty.....

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was a Tennessee drinker, loved Cutty too . Only thing I drink these days, Barenjager. I try not to drink much these days, brings up old memories I am happy to forget...lol. Bushmills however, is a good choice, man drink.

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey CaFF you can hook me up with seeds man. I would love to grow some decent peppers. :) I went back to the nursery last week I was talking to the owner about how the peppers are weak he said no way, peeps have been buying them up this year. So we walked around and sampled all of his different peppers.... they were all weak. So he apologized and said he would check with his supplier and hopefully get hotter stuff for next year. I doubt it tho if he's had record sales this year he wont change a thing. Ive given 7 quarts of jalapenos away this year. Not going to take the time to can them.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey CaFF you can hook me up with seeds man. I would love to grow some decent peppers. :) I went back to the nursery last week I was talking to the owner about how the peppers are weak he said no way, peeps have been buying them up this year. So we walked around and sampled all of his different peppers.... they were all weak. So he apologized and said he would check with his supplier and hopefully get hotter stuff for next year. I doubt it tho if he's had record sales this year he wont change a thing. Ive given 7 quarts of jalapenos away this year. Not going to take the time to can them.

Sure man, I could do that. Assuming you have the conditions to grow superhots. They tend to be finicky and hate 'wet feet'. If ya can grow a bunch, I'd appreciate a box of 'em. :D

Bit late for this season probably, but ya could go do 'em next year?

My bud Neil has the low-down, also has seeds, powders, sauces and all the info. you could want: http://thehippyseedcompany.com/

Gimme a PM and I'll round up some stuffz for ya...and a baggie of Bhut Jolokia powder for fun's sake. ;-)

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure man, I could do that. Assuming you have the conditions to grow superhots. They tend to be finicky and hate 'wet feet'. If ya can grow a bunch, I'd appreciate a box of 'em. :D

Bit late for this season probably, but ya could go do 'em next year?

My bud Neil has the low-down, also has seeds, powders, sauces and all the info. you could want: http://thehippyseedcompany.com/

Gimme a PM and I'll round up some stuffz for ya...and a baggie of Bhut Jolokia powder for fun's sake. ;-)
That would be great and yeah I can hook u up :)

Jonathan Tittle

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This makes me want to break out my dehydrator and buy out what the local shop has.....I've not used it in over a year, but I think it's time for some spicy beef jerky and some dried chilies. I like Habaneros, though they aren't my favorite. If there was a good place to get Ghost & Scotch Bonnets locally, I'd happily grab them up. Sadly, most sell the dried versions and they are $1-$2 a piece and often lack the heat because they were dried in horrid conditions or stored in equally horrid conditions (i.e. non airtight jars).

Having a few Scorpion Peppers would be nice as well.

I've not had the chance to try a fresh Reaper. A few people here in TN have gotten some locally, though having seen the videos of people eating them (here locally), they are no where near as hot as they should be, so most likely grown in sub-par conditions.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This makes me want to break out my dehydrator and buy out what the local shop has.....I've not used it in over a year, but I think it's time for some spicy beef jerky and some dried chilies. I like Habaneros, though they aren't my favorite. If there was a good place to get Ghost & Scotch Bonnets locally, I'd happily grab them up. Sadly, most sell the dried versions and they are $1-$2 a piece and often lack the heat because they were dried in horrid conditions or stored in equally horrid conditions (i.e. non airtight jars).

Having a few Scorpion Peppers would be nice as well.

I've not had the chance to try a fresh Reaper. A few people here in TN have gotten some locally, though having seen the videos of people eating them (here locally), they are no where near as hot as they should be, so most likely grown in sub-par conditions.

Yeah, if dried too hot, they lose their flavor. There is a grocery chain here that has bags of Bhut J. pods for like $5 for 7 grams or around 6-8 pods. Still pliable.

You want the good shit, go here: http://thehippyseedcompany.com/

Shipping isn't as bad as you might think, and he's a legend in the chilehead world. He has seeds and powders for most of the superhots and some you've never heard of. ;)

Last edited:

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, if dried too hot, they lose their flavor. There is a grocery chain here that has bags of Bhut J. pods for like $5 for 7 grams or around 6-8 pods. Still pliable.

Shipping isn't as bad as you might think, and he's a legend in the chilehead world. He has seeds and powders for most of the superhots and some you've never heard of. ;)
Nice link..... there goes my vape supply budget :eek:

Jonathan Tittle

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Thanks! Grrr... There goes any extra money I had ;). I am a spicy food mad man. My wife won't touch it, but I've been at it since I was around 10 years old (almost 30 now) and try any and everything I can at least once. I've gotten up to the 3 million range with a pepper and extract sauce and it was nice - I felt like a million bucks (endorphin rush from hell!) - but I'm odd like that.

I'm honestly the type to take something that shouldn't be spicy and twist it to where it is. Doesn't bother my stomach oddly enough. Just makes me feel like I've drank a ton of caffeine and now can conquer anything lol.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I got this....

Some real-sugar vanilla Pepsi and 8yo Black Velvet I got on sale for $13 a fifth. =)
It was worth walking the 6 blocks in 96F heat to Rite-Aid and back. Most of that distance is pure deserted blacktop. One whole side of the "mall" is empty..nothing but a scorching hot parking lot about two blocks long. Frickin' HOT.

Too hot to cook still, made a tuna salad sammie. Lot 'o stuff in there, on sourdough hoagie.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Now you are doing it for me.. how sweet CaFF.. I be right over!! :D

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I decided to try dehydrating some of the Ghost peppers.... 8 hours later, about 10 minutes ago, I noticed that the darn machine was on the steam setting. Only 8 hours left :oops: the peppers are actually drying out tho because I never put water in it to steam with but now on the proper setting the internal fan is blowing.

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
dehydate.jpg 1/2 hour later and I have tears running down my face from those ghost peppers......... Im 25ft away in another room. WOW its like my last date and when she decided to introduce me to her pepper spray. I guess this is just good conditioning for my "next" date. ;)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 5227 1/2 hour later and I have tears running down my face from those ghost peppers......... Im 25ft away in another room. WOW its like my last date and when she decided to introduce me to her pepper spray. I guess this is just good conditioning for my "next" date. ;)

Awesome! :D

Yeah, drying the superhots is kinda like pepper-spaying your house. Literally...Bhut Jolokias were once cultivated for military use in India. o_O

If you grind them for powder, wear a mask and eye protection! Not joking.
And, after grinding, let the dust settle before opening your grinder or that dust will become airborne.

Don't rush in to smell it either, I've done that..and sneezed/teared up for half an hour.

Same for when you transfer to a container, if you just dump it, you'll create a dust cloud of pain. Trust me, that is bad.

I use a spoon and a funnel to fill my shaker jars....slowly and carefully. ;)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors