Become a Patron!

Describe experience

VapeS1000r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would you describe the differences between vaping on these two setups

As you can see, they're both the same ohm (0.22 & .21).
But one has larger diameter coils while the other thinner.

How will the vape experience differ?

How come they're yielding the same ohm despite them being different in size with similar number of wraps 5 vs 6).

Will one heat up faster?

Will one get hotter while keeping wattage constant between the two.

Thanks

20161011_165012_zpsw7xp79o9.jpg

20161011_165029_zps6gjpndcc.jpg

20161011_165049_zpslcsmvpc2.jpg

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Electrically they will be the same, watts amps ect......... But the bigger coil will run cooler at a given wattage because there is more metal to heatup. So you likely need to run the bigger coil at higher power levels. but the bigger will also make for a hotter vape for the same reason. The smaller coil will be a cooler vape at the same running temp as the bigger one. Because the air flow and juice will cool it faster than the big one.

More surface area+more power = more juice converted to vapor........ IMO, the smaller coil will give the better flavor, the big one more vapor and even More flavor. I prefer twisted builds to claptons, so far. mainly because I don't find that more vapor makes for better flavor. and I don't like needing 2x the wattage for a given OHM.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The fuchai 213 isnt delivering a true 213w either compared to the rx200 u will have to run the fuchai higher in wattage for the same results probably

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's hard to say with out knowing wire and coil specifications. But one thing to note claptons don't count the clapton wire as resistance. Also you are comparing resistance on two different mods.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How come ohm is same while coil size is different & similar number of wraps?
Because of the inherent resistance of the wire used itself.

Also claptons have a lot of extra wire to them. That extra wire make the coil bigger without affecting resistance a whole bunch.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When current is given two routes to travel through, most of it will travel through the route with the less resistance.
In most cases a Clapton is composed of a thicker shorter core wire(s) and a longer thinner wrap wire so the core has less resistance.

So a twisted 26 coil and a fused 26 core clapton coil with the same amount of wraps and the same ID will have roughly the same resistance (with marginal effect on the resistance from the clapton wrap wire).

The twisted wire would preform better at lower wattages and the clapton at higher wattages since it has more mass so it requires higher wattage to provide decent heatup time.

The resistance on it's own is not what matters in a regulated mod as long as it's within the mod's acceptable range and allows it to reach the wattage you are aiming for, what matters most are the mass and surface area of the coil.

VapeS1000r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I guess I hadn't realized the twisted is naked while the Clapton is wrapped.

It's the inner gauge that dictates ohms.

I have another question.

If I get a dual .40 ohm coil & a .15 ohm

Why does the 0.15 require more wattage?
It's thinner. Should heat up faster or require less wattage to heat up.

Also, how would vape experience differ between them? Assuming I set the wattage accordingly (to ohm).

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3 things determine the resistance of a coil, it's gauge it's length and the material it's made of.
The wider the wire the less resistance it has.
The shorter it is the less resistance it has.

What determines how much wattage you would need to efficiently use a coil is it's mass not it's resistance since a big mass coils takes longer to heat up (and cool down) you would need more power to efficiently and quickly heat it up.
In a case of a clapton you would need even more power since in that case the core is what heats from current passing through it but the wrap is just dead weight that is heated from heat transference from the core.

Can't directly compare two different coils based on just their resistance and without knowing what coils they are and how are they built.

VapeS1000r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I see.

But let's say they're both rated at .20 and one is small in mass (twisted) and the other is larger (the Clapton).

How would the value draw differ?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At same ohm and voltage input 2 coils of the same ohm will output the same wattage but the smaller coil will be hotter faster. But the bigger coil once heated will vaporize more juice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VU Sponsors