Developing a rating system for recipes

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi folks , just thinking aloud but i thought instead of people needing to read through very long threads to read everyones take on a recipe that someone posted why not make it much easier by adding a simple rating system.

How to do this i'm not sure but it should be anonymous and rated by stars or some other method. In this way people would not have to worry about disappointing other members if they didn't care for it since nobody needs to know who you are but will allow as honest of an opinion as possible.

I would love to be able to quickly scan and choose recipes to try based on the ones that get rated the highest instead of wasting my time with ones that get rated mediocre or poor.

Even though rejection can be tough at least you will know how your own recipes will fare and be received by the masses.

Just a thought and i don't expect it to go anywhere but i tend to throw stuff out there and let it take off or die , yeah i'm pretty bold and don't mind taking chances .

To the mods, if this should be in another location , my apologies.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That would work but some one would have to put a lot of man (or woman) hours into making a permanent list of the title of the recipie and make a spreadsheet and have a permanent poll that resets itself....AND ....... Rewrite the thing ( add to) the list everytime there's a new recipie ( which is almost daily it seems )

I nominate VH FAN to do all this. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, that will also make it easy for all the new start up vape shops to make them some new juices to call their very own ...:)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
and remember, we all like different things.. and taste things different too.. ;)
Yes, Tball you are right, VH can handle all that :p *laughs..

mass confusion.. rebellious recipe creators.. hmm.. :rolleyes:

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hate rating systems. A recipe that I find to be the best in the world, might not taste good to someone else. And let's face it. This is the interwebz, people would have their friends vote on their recipes just so they could be the best, at some imaginary competition. Let's just leave it where it sits, as is, because if it isn't broke, why fix it. Even better!!! How bout you start your own thread, somewhere away from the recipe thread list all the recipes and start rating them. Maybe people will get into it, and maybe they won't. You can maintain it as you wish. But I, for one, don't like or trust ratings made by all the other french models on the internet.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While I think it's not a bad idea in theory, I suspect that it will deter people from posting recipes - which would not be a good thing... just my 02 cents worth!
I had to comment on your comment again. I was thinking one way and your comment just hit me the way you probably intended it .
(Does that make sense)?

I can see your point as it may make many not post up because they might not want to feel rejected if there were no high ratings, or even worse, no votes at all.

There's around 400 recipies already and it's hard for ( almost impossible) to mix and try them all. I can see some getting bypassed and not voted on and it may be simply because they might get to page two quickly because of other postings that overtake them .

Yeah ...... Probably not a good idea.

Last edited:

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That would work but some one would have to put a lot of man (or woman) hours into making a permanent list of the title of the recipie and make a spreadsheet and have a permanent poll that resets itself....AND ....... Rewrite the thing ( add to) the list everytime there's a new recipie ( which is almost daily it seems )

I nominate VH FAN to do all this. :)

Lets just forget i even brought it up , mods please delete.

While I think it's not a bad idea in theory, I suspect that it will deter people from posting recipes - which would not be a good thing... just my 02 cents worth!

It's all about real life , it is not for people that get easily offended , it will humble people real quick especially if someone thinks their recipes are far better than they really are .

You will be getting the exact take of how others truly perceive your recipes and i like that , no sugarcoating , no BS.

If yours turns out to not be as widely liked as you thought it may get you to experiment more , if your stuff is truly outstanding and voted highly by most you should seriously consider going into business, if you are terrified to know the truth i would refrain from participating .

It doesn't have to be the only system , keep the current ones and maybe add this down the line if there is interest.

Last edited:

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I had to comment on your comment again. I was thinking one way and your comment just hit me the way you probably intended it .
(Does that make sense)?

I can see your point as it may make many not post up because they might not want to feel rejected if there were no high ratings, or even worse, no votes at all.

There's around 400 recipies already and it's hard for ( almost possible) to mix and try them all. I can see some getting bypassed and not voted on and it may be simply because they might get to page two quickly because of other postings that overtake them .

Yeah ...... Probably not a good idea.

My worry wouldn't be about not getting noticed, it would be about Dickheadx saying to himself "Oh I wouldn't make it that way, let me give this a 1 star rating" without even trying the recipe. You KNOW it would happen.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

It's all about real life , it is not for people that get easily offended , it will humble people real quick especially if someone thinks their recipes are far better than they really are .

You will be getting the exact take of how others truly perceive your recipes and i like that , no sugarcoating , no BS.

eh, VH.. I was playing with you.. but serious.. it is a good idea.. however it could play out..
i dont know if there is a plugin that Joe could implement on this..
and honestly.. with all of our different tastes.. it could be interesting.. ;)

dunno..

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Who are you to judge someone else's recipe anyway? Who are any of us to judge? We seem to be a pretty open group here, and we like to discuss what changes could be made with recipes. If you think a recipe is terrible, say something, but you should be able to offer some constructive criticism, or at least a well thought out idea as to why it's not good. The ability to give someone 1 star (or whatever) on a recipe helps none of us. Where as talking about it might help someone learn something. And I'm not offended btw, I'm just giving it to you with no sugarcoating, or BS.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The forum is a great place for people to learn to DIY, to play around with recipes, and to share. I don't know about you, but I can usually tell whether or not a recipe is worth making based on my own tastes. For instance, I don't care for some flavors - I won't make those. I don't use incredibly high percentages - I won't make those. I don't use any additives - I probably won't make those. I think half the fun of learning to DIY is actually scanning recipes and knowing whether or not it's something you might like. And once you have some familiarity with the flavors used, it's not so hard to do that. I would hate to discourage creativity with a system that made DIY more formal.

Edd

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I can say I would never pay any attention to it myslef. First off I won't even consider a recipe if there are custard notes so would that warrant a low rating for something that is probably delicious? I also won't use a straight up booze flavor, that's just personal preference. If I can't leave it out then I won't even try it but it's probably delicious just the same. While I can understand the "want" I can't say I see the "need". Hope that doesn't sound mean lol that is not at all my intention:)

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just rate all my recipes as a 2 that way Ill be the best in the 2 star category.... hopefuly. hahahahaha
You'll be riding the coat-tails of F 'kn Dr Pepper and Bochochitos for years to come !

You'll be like the Rolling Stones of juice making...... You will put out a recipie that tastes like shit and we will say " it's Willmc's...it Must be good"

Ha ha..... ( time to lighten up) :)

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
hahaha rolling stones. sweet

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Taste is all subjective from vaper to vaper.

While I think one flavor is 5 stars others will think the person that made it should be burned at the stake.

Just say what you think about it.

People will read it perhaps and get an idea of how close your likes and dislikes compare to theirs?

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I agree with the majority here. Ratings don't do it for me. I like the comments much better. If someone takes the time to comment it is more believable than a rating system. Some will just push ratings for the sake of ratings and not the juice itself. No matter how things are done the fact remains... some will love it and some will not like it at all. My 2 cents...

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I totally agree with HIC and Ld lots of numbers.

I like to read between the lines myself.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My worry wouldn't be about not getting noticed, it would be about Dickheadx saying to himself "Oh I wouldn't make it that way, let me give this a 1 star rating" without even trying the recipe. You KNOW it would happen.
It does happen. The only difference being that person doesn't say it to themself, they put it out there right then, which is really rude, imo.

I don't care about star ratings. Not at all. If someone is interested enough in something I post to make it in their own home, then come back to post their like or dislike, I'm glad they found it interesting at all. Chances are they weren't smoking when they made it, lol.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Who are you to judge someone else's recipe anyway? Who are any of us to judge? We seem to be a pretty open group here, and we like to discuss what changes could be made with recipes. If you think a recipe is terrible, say something, but you should be able to offer some constructive criticism, or at least a well thought out idea as to why it's not good. The ability to give someone 1 star (or whatever) on a recipe helps none of us. Where as talking about it might help someone learn something. And I'm not offended btw, I'm just giving it to you with no sugarcoating, or BS.

Like i said in my initial post , i threw it out there and it was shot down , that happens when you toss ideas out there , no biggie and rejection doesn't bother me at all , it's part of taking chances .

Now , to this post in particular , every one of your posts in this thread seems overly defensive , i wonder why . Who am i or anyone else to judge , what??? In case you haven't noticed pal , anyone who puts a recipe out there is reading comments judging their work .

It's the way the World works , look at most online juice manufacturers , they offer a section that what most refer to as "reviews" , and since the juice makers don't know most of the reviewers the reviews tend to be more real with no sugarcoating or worries about offending anybody .

Thats what i appreciate , no BS, no worries about offending a fellow member you may have a good relationship with etc.. To those that say everyones taste is different , of course everyones taste is different but some flavors by vendors are clearly more popular than others and you can see that by their ratings.

Some people don't mind reading through eleven pages of comments to see if a recipe is good or not , i'm not one of them.

The comments about giving a thumbs up or star because someones your friend is a very legit concern and a big problem with the internet in general, unfortunately .

Thats the biggest reason imo that something like this is not worth putting forth . When i used to go to sites like Baker vapor i only clicked on the flavors that got the most stars and then i read the reviews for it , thats how i narrowed down my choices .

I thought that type of system would help here and be different then other forums but that didn't prove to be the case .

Anyway thanks for most of the comments here, most were respectful , a few i thought were ridiculous and extremely defensive but thats to be expected.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I like the method of posting recipes that people use here. If the recipe interests me, I read the thread. If it doesn't, I move on without reading all the comments. Easy.
Yep, it's been said that it's all in the comments. I can't tell you how many I might not have tried based on flavors alone. The comments are what spark the curiosity for me. Some flavors that aren't appealing to me meld into something completely different in combination with other flavors. Science!

It's not that a rating system is bad idea, per se, but if that's all people saw at first glance, it might deter them from something they really could enjoy. Nothing wrong with both, but I've branched out way more than I ever thought I would. One example would be tobacco vapes. In the past, I just skipped over them, not anymore, but that's solely based on comments and learning what the flavors are about. I used to not like fruit vapes at all, either.

I hope you're not taking any of the comments personally VH fan. These are just comments based on an idea. Like you said, if no one tossed out ideas, we'd have nothing to discuss, lol.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like the method of posting recipes that people use here. If the recipe interests me, I read the thread. If it doesn't, I move on without reading all the comments. Easy.

I think most do so it's worth sticking to. My biggest issue is the time it takes to read through the comments , especially when they go for pages and pages, was hoping to really limit that.

Yep, it's been said that it's all in the comments. I can't tell you how many I might not have tried based on flavors alone. The comments are what spark the curiosity for me. Some flavors that aren't appealing to me meld into something completely different in combination with other flavors. Science!

It's not that a rating system is bad idea, per se, but if that's all people saw at first glance, it might deter them from something they really could enjoy. Nothing wrong with both, but I've branched out way more than I ever thought I would. One example would be tobacco vapes. In the past, I just skipped over them, not anymore, but that's solely based on comments and learning what the flavors are about. I used to not like fruit vapes at all, either.

I hope you're not taking any of the comments personally VH fan. These are just comments based on an idea. Like you said, if no one tossed out ideas, we'd have nothing to discuss, lol.

Appreciate the post Huckleberried , many excellent points , i don't have any issue with people disagreeing with me , it's the way certain people may disagree and respond and it's not necessary . I get it , people make valid points , i am not out to make anyone feel inadequate or picked on but some seem to respond that way.

I'm actually harmless , yes i know impossible to believe but true.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
IMHO, short and sweet.

I also like a little background on the company that makes the E-Juice and the pricing structure.

This from independent reviewers that are not being paid by the vendor in question other than supplying the product for an honest review.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
"The comments about giving a thumbs up or star because someones your friend is a very legit concern and a big problem with the internet in general, unfortunately ."

This will be the same whether it is comments or rated so I don't see how it helps any. Some ratings would be true to the rate-r but not so true for someone reading it.

I understand your reasoning and it would be great to just skim through the recipes and know what will be good but it just doesn't work that way. When dealing with taste buds there is no way to know until you taste it yourself. I have tried doing as you said you did with a vendor. Juices that had high ratings and everyone loved.... tasted like poo to me. :confused:

While there is NO recipe everyone will love, I do try to be honest with my comments without hurting anyones feelings.

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like the setup here on VU as well for the recipes. If one sounds like something I'd like, the first post usually has all the ingredients listed. I hardly ever have them all so a cart gets started with an online vendor.

I wouldn't even consider a "however many star rating" if it wasn't something that sounded appealing in the first place. Not sure how much benefit I'd get from a rating system.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
"The comments about giving a thumbs up or star because someones your friend is a very legit concern and a big problem with the internet in general, unfortunately ."

This will be the same whether it is comments or rated so I don't see how it helps any. Some ratings would be true to the rate-r but not so true for someone reading it.

I understand your reasoning and it would be great to just skim through the recipes and know what will be good but it just doesn't work that way. When dealing with taste buds there is no way to know until you taste it yourself. I have tried doing as you said you did with a vendor. Juices that had high ratings and everyone loved.... tasted like poo to me. :confused:

While there is NO recipe everyone will love, I do try to be honest with my comments without hurting anyones feelings.
Constructive criticism is a good thing :) But only when asked, right? haha

Zeeli

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How about instead of a rating system, maybe add more sections under the recipes. Like 2 flavors added, 3 flavors added, 4 flavors added. I know as a beginner, im looking for 2 and 3 flavor recipes, and having to dig through 27+ pages of recipes, although it is very informative, it is super time consuming. Just a thought. Flame me if you want, I can take it.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
How about instead of a rating system, maybe add more sections under the recipes. Like 2 flavors added, 3 flavors added, 4 flavors added. I know as a beginner, im looking for 2 and 3 flavor recipes, and having to dig through 27+ pages of recipes, although it is very informative, it is super time consuming. Just a thought. Flame me if you want, I can take it.

That is not a bad idea. :)
My thoughts on that are...
Separating the recipes would be a job. Who is going to do that?
Who would maintain that? There are always additions and what if they are not where they should be?

There could also be categories but then some mixes would fall under more than one.
There are lots of ways to organize things, to make things easier for all but no matter how things end up being done, someone has to maintain it.

VU Sponsors