Become a Patron!

didnt see it so i'll go.......are you a friend of Bill W's?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hmmmm.............most groups wont agree with 'once n a while drinking'.
its not my place to tell you what you can and cant do. glad your here tho!!

btw, not tryin to pass judgement nor come off as an ass. I know for me, to drink is to die. I cant have the on holiday or once n a while. that's all.

I know. Bit of a dilemma. I nearly drank myself to death years ago. I couldn't function without having a drink, or I'd get the shakes, even woke up several times having a seizure. I was at the point of N. Cage's character in Leaving Las Vegas. The rooms and love of a woman saved me. Six years after being sober, I had a beer in Prague, and another and many more. It has never followed me home though, and I have no desire for a drink in the US, but my birthday starts every six months...

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know. Bit of a dilemma. I nearly drank myself to death years ago. I couldn't function without having a drink, or I'd get the shakes, even woke up several times having a seizure. I was at the point of N. Cage's character in Leaving Las Vegas. The rooms and love of a woman saved me. Six years after being sober, I had a beer in Prague, and another and many more. It has never followed me home though, and I have no desire for a drink in the US, but my birthday starts every six months...
Wow. That is wild. I can't imagine drinking once in a while. God knows I tried. But I have a friend who does what you do - he's an alcohol and *** addict who's been clean and sober for years except for every New Years Day when he has a drink.

*I know, I know, ***not addictive; but trust me when I say this guy is addicted to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow. That is wild. I can't imagine drinking once in a while. God knows I tried. But I have a friend who does what you do - he's an alcohol and weed* addict who's been clean and sober for years except for every New Years Day when he has a drink.

*I know, I know, weed's not addictive; but trust me when I say this guy is addicted to it.

I didn't grow out of being an alcoholic- that's for life, but I have absolutely no desire for a drink stateside and drink plenty of beer in Prague. I also smoke a handful of cigarettes on holiday, but don't smoke here.
My introduction to AA was through a group which was pretty much shut down by the FBI, so perhaps my unconventional sobriety and drinking has to do with that experience...

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I didn't grow out of being an alcoholic- that's for life, but I have absolutely no desire for a drink stateside and drink plenty of beer in Prague. I also smoke a handful of cigarettes on holiday, but don't smoke here.
My introduction to AA was through a group which was pretty much shut down by the FBI, so perhaps my unconventional sobriety and drinking has to do with that experience...
Very interesting. I'd love to hear more about it. I'm always amazed at how alike, yet different, we human beings are.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Very interesting. I'd love to hear more about it. I'm always amazed at how alike, yet different, we human beings are.

More about the Midtown Q Group? I could write a book about that chapter in my life...

I was recruited into Midtown by a member while on a school trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg. I was being myself- drunk the whole trip, but in control. I was attracted to her and she took me to a meeting after returning home. Midtown was overwhelming- a big church basement meeting, 100's of people; the room split in half- smokers, non smokers...

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For the problem drinker when you rempve the substance can actsane, the addict or alcoholic without substance and working no program...well fuck everyone they are the problem.The heavy problem drinker may after a slew of consequences moderate, or quit. The alcoholic sits in jail amping up for the next drinking or doping session. The problem drinker when his or her spouse threatens to leave may moderate or cover up....the selfish ass (me) alcoholic or addict says Fuck yea! single life! The problem drinker stops after a binge over a death, the alcoholic and addict drowns In the victim role poorpoor me and continues in slow suicide. The problem drinker loses a job over drinking Or cant pay bills and says...maybe i need to chill out, the alcoholic or addict spends every penny of bill money and looks to steal, hustle, cheat, and score without a job. Alas The steps...a spiritual path is the only hope for this true addict. I only speak about my experience. Life now is peaceful...it just isn't about me any more.
Love and tolerance

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good evening ya'll. I will leave you folks with 2 thoughts:
1.) Pls follow the thread: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/the-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel.8209/page-21#post-431887
that thread is updated 2x a day!! Pls follow for a daily reminder of recovery!
2.)
'When we retire at night, we constructively reivew our day. Where we resentful, selfish, dishonest or afriad? do we owe an apology? Have we kept something to ourselves which should have been discussed with anohter person at once? Were we kind and loving toward all? What could we have done beter? Were we thinking of oursleves most of the time? Or were we thinknig ofwhat we could do for others, of must be carefuly not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to other. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should have been taken.' pg 86 AA big book.

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
*I know, I know, weed's not addictive; but trust me when I say this guy is addicted to it.
People like to argue that since weed doesn't instill a physical dependency on its user that it's not addictive, but I think that couldn't be farther from the truth (to say nothing of the mental dependency hell it creates). ***withdrawal is very real and often induces long term PAWS as re-adjusting to life without it can be as difficult as dealing with getting clean from benzodiazepines.

I come from a different fellowship (some of you could probably tell from my verbage) but shit, we can be addicted to literally anything, as long as it provides that release of dopamine we desire so that it begins to function as a maladaptive coping mechanism. I'm just glad we all have places to go to deal with these things.

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
People like to argue that since weed doesn't instill a physical dependency on its user that it's not addictive, but I think that couldn't be farther from the truth (to say nothing of the mental dependency hell it creates). ***withdrawal is very real and often induces long term PAWS as re-adjusting to life without it can be as difficult as dealing with getting clean from benzodiazepines.

I come from a different fellowship (some of you could probably tell from my verbage) but shit, we can be addicted to literally anything, as long as it provides that release of dopamine we desire so that it begins to function as a maladaptive coping mechanism. I'm just glad we all have places to go to deal with these things.
"PAWS" ???

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have a blessed day

taking more out of the AA Big Book:

'On awakening let us tihink about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. Under these conditions we can employ our mental faculties with assuarance, for after all God gave us brains to use. Or thought-life will be placd on a much higher plane when our thinking is cleared of wrong motives.'
page 86 fourth ed.

With that thought here are todays Meditations:
http://www.jftna.org/jft/

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/daily-reflection

http://www.hazelden.org/web/public/thought.view?catId=1904

http://www.step12.com/promises.html

lg g3 tapatalk

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have a blessed day

taking more out of the AA Big Book:

'On awakening let us tihink about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. Under these conditions we can employ our mental faculties with assuarance, for after all God gave us brains to use. Or thought-life will be placd on a much higher plane when our thinking is cleared of wrong motives.'
page 86 fourth ed.

With that thought here are todays Meditations:
http://www.jftna.org/jft/

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/daily-reflection

http://www.hazelden.org/web/public/thought.view?catId=1904

http://www.step12.com/promises.html

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good evening ya'll!!

'When we retire at night, we constructively reivew our day. Where we resentful, selfish, dishonest or afriad? do we owe an apology? Have we kept something to ourselves which should have been discussed with anohter person at once? Were we kind and loving toward all? What could we have done beter? Were we thinking of oursleves most of the time? Or were we thinknig ofwhat we could do for others, of must be carefuly not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to other. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should have been taken.' pg 86 AA big book.

Today reminds me of the AA Promises:
If we a re painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regre the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellow.Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attidtude and outlook on life will change. Fear of people and economic insercurity will leave us. We will intuitively know ho to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize the God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfulled among us sometime quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

VU Sponsors