Become a Patron!

Difference between all the Kayfuns and Russian 91%?

Diesel Weasel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello everyone! I've been vaping for about 6 months now. I'm happy to report I've lost 80 lbs in that time since I use my juice to curb cravings instead of food! Yes, I still eat but I don't snack any more.

I'm very interested in getting into mech mods. Currently I have 3 egos and an MVP2.0 and swap between a Mini Protank 3 and Nautilus. I've been eyeing the Blackhawk, King, Nemesis, and Silverback for quite some time. I want to get a tank for whichever mod I get and I hear everyone saying how much they love Kayfuns. I know the Russian 91% is based off the Kayfun but that's about it. I can't find anything that explains the differences between the various models. I don't want a dripper for full time, I prefer just sitting back and vaping without having to fiddle with something every few minutes.

MistaKuraudo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, I think the reason why the Russian 91% is so popular is it was first released not long after the original KFL. The original KFL was a smaller kayfun, but without the AFC. The 91% was able to replicate the KFL, but managed to keep the AFC. Then the KFL+ came out and it also included airflow control. So now, they both perform just about the same and are basically the same size. Almost no difference, except for the finish.

If you're not looking to drip but still want to rebuild, a kayfun will do the job nicely.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It gets a little confusing but this is what I can gather

KFL (Kayfun Lite) - Basic unit - fill on the bottom - no afc
Kayfun 3.1 - same as Lite but with afc - fill is on the side - A little bigger profile than the KFL (Discontinued I believe)
KFL+ Same as KFL but has afc
KFL+ v2 - Same as KFL+ but has new more recessed fill hole with o-ring

There is a version of the EHPro KFL+ v2 that adds dual afc screws on the bottom. Somewhere in there they also added the ability to use any 510 drip tip without an adapter.

Also from what I have read Nano kits will not work on the KFL+ v2 because the threading is different.

Diesel Weasel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you so much! All the pluses and versions were what had me so utterly confused. I used to rebuild my Vivi Nova heads before I got my Nautilus so I have a huge hank of organic color-grown cotton yarn and quite a bit of kanthal left.

Is there a specific one that holds up to everyday carry better? I usually make or repurpose cases for my gear and supplies so I can carry it in my pocket. I take the atty off of course and lock the battery. I remember reading something about one of the AFC's leaking if held on it's side. I'd like to avoid that one if at all possible.

I had thought the KFL was a smaller version. Also "Kayfun Black in Black" doesn't help make things easy either. And I thought finding the correct MPT3 heads was a pain!

Reactions: jae

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you so much! All the pluses and versions were what had me so utterly confused. I used to rebuild my Vivi Nova heads before I got my Nautilus so I have a huge hank of organic color-grown cotton yarn and quite a bit of kanthal left.

Is there a specific one that holds up to everyday carry better? I usually make or repurpose cases for my gear and supplies so I can carry it in my pocket. I take the atty off of course and lock the battery. I remember reading something about one of the AFC's leaking if held on it's side. I'd like to avoid that one if at all possible.

I had thought the KFL was a smaller version. Also "Kayfun Black in Black" doesn't help make things easy either. And I thought finding the correct MPT3 heads was a pain!

I have an anglecigs KFL clone with no afc and an EHPro KFL+ v2 with dual afc and no issues at all with the afc leaking on the EHP. Can't speak for others as these are the only ones I have tried. I have heard the Tobeco KFL clones are not that good. Now my Taifun will leak from time to time out of the air hole.

This is what the Black Edition (not the color) brings.

ADJUSTABLE 510 PIN CONNECTOR!
IMPROVED METAL BOTTOM AIR FLOW CONTROL SYSTEM!
LIFT UP AIR CHANNEL SCREW TO AVOID LEAKING FROM CHAMBER!
UPGRADED STAINLESS STEEL!
IMPROVED O RINGS AND DRIP TIP.
IMPROVED THREADING.
COMES WITH CLEAR AND METAL TANKS!

I don't know exactly where that fits in with the rest.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lite, no AFC fill screw on bottom.
Plus AFC and fill screw on bottom.
Russian AFC on side fill screw on bottom.
3.1 chamber below base to catch excess fluid, AFC and fill valve on side.
Other variations with various "Editions".

Brianj

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have 5 different "Authentic" Kayfuns
I also have the Russian 91%
I love the Russian, it's a great performer
What am I vaping right now?
Kayfun 3.1 with the Navy Nest Double Strand coil
On Deck, Kayfun Mini with the 5ml Extension
Also with the Navy Nest Double Strand coil
As as fail safe, the Kayfun Lite Plus with the same build
You just can't go wrong with "Authentic" Kayfuns ;)
I do use the Russian as well

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It gets a little confusing but this is what I can gather

KFL (Kayfun Lite) - Basic unit - fill on the bottom - no afc
Kayfun 3.1 - same as Lite but with afc - fill is on the side - A little bigger profile than the KFL (Discontinued I believe)
KFL+ Same as KFL but has afc
KFL+ v2 - Same as KFL+ but has new more recessed fill hole with o-ring

There is a version of the EHPro KFL+ v2 that adds dual afc screws on the bottom. Somewhere in there they also added the ability to use any 510 drip tip without an adapter.

Also from what I have read Nano kits will not work on the KFL+ v2 because the threading is different.
I've got an EHPro KFL+ v2 with a Nano kit, also made by them... Not sure if they are the same threads as the OEM though. Full nano tank.

WP_20140618_005.jpg

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you get a clone, get the EHPro KFL+ v2.. very, very good and no leaks.

Diesel Weasel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks everyone!!! I'd love to get an original but I simply can't afford it right now and am looking for the best tank I can find for under $50. One day I hope to get an authentic to go with my dream mod- the Silverback. Since that hasn't been cloned I gotta wait to save up the spare cash. NIIIIIICE MVP wrap by the way!!! Here's mine, just for fun!
mymasure.jpg

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cool! Did you glue him on? LOL! :p

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
The true Kayfun was made and some of the developers walked away and made the Russian. Which was an improvement.
Is anyone buying a true legit Kayfun anymore?

Reactions: jae

Diesel Weasel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lol naw, she's super curious about everything I do so once I waited a minute for her to stop sniffing the tank she looked at me. If it had been mango she probably would have tried to take my hand off for it! They can't process fruits or veggies, just meat, but she has a wicked sweet tooth. You can't let her see smoothie cups!

From what I'm hearing the original Kayfun was made then the Russian came out which corrected a bunch of issues. Then Kayfun turned around and and made similar changes? Now all the various models that are coming out now are based off that. Do I have it right so far? Who does the Kayfun Black? They mentioned it briefly on Mod Envy last night and said they have a really good version out right now. I had the link saved but my laptop came unplugged and died. Just trying to figure out all the various versions. I appreciate everyone's input!

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That is very interesting. All of the sellers that have the EHPro nano kit state it is not compatible with the KFL+ v2.
Maybe not compatible with the OEM? Dunno.. my EHPro v2 came with it..

aussie

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
I have 5 different "Authentic" Kayfuns
I also have the Russian 91%
I love the Russian, it's a great performer
What am I vaping right now?
Kayfun 3.1 with the Navy Nest Double Strand coil
On Deck, Kayfun Mini with the 5ml Extension
Also with the Navy Nest Double Strand coil
As as fail safe, the Kayfun Lite Plus with the same build
You just can't go wrong with "Authentic" Kayfuns ;)
I do use the Russian as well
All I need now is a link for the coil you so peaked my interest. Oh look I found it let me just put this here for whom ever else might be interested.

Diesel Weasel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All I need now is a link for the coil you so peaked my interest. Oh look I found it let me just put this here for whom ever else might be interested.
Thanks so much for that!!!!

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't found anything that preforms better on my Kayfun's or Russian 91's other than a simple 2 mm, 28 gauge kanthal coil @ 1 ohm with cotton wick. Great flavor and vapor.

CookieMonster225

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hope yall don't mind if I throw in a couple questions. I have a black KFL+ from EHPro. It has the gasket on the bottom fill hole and bottom afc. It leaks a lot. I've tried different builds, raised and lowered the coil from the deck, more and less cotton, etc. I really don't like the bottom afc because it fits snug on my mods and creates whistling and impedes airflow. I also have an HCigar KFL(?) and melted the insulator when my nemesis auto fired.I really prefer the side airholes. Also, can anyone show me a video on how to replace the insulator? I can't figure it out. Should I try to keep messing with the KFL+ or try to fix the HCigar?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hope yall don't mind if I throw in a couple questions. I have a black KFL+ from EHPro. It has the gasket on the bottom fill hole and bottom afc. It leaks a lot. I've tried different builds, raised and lowered the coil from the deck, more and less cotton, etc. I really don't like the bottom afc because it fits snug on my mods and creates whistling and impedes airflow. I also have an HCigar KFL(?) and melted the insulator when my nemesis auto fired.I really prefer the side airholes. Also, can anyone show me a video on how to replace the insulator? I can't figure it out. Should I try to keep messing with the KFL+ or try to fix the HCigar?
Check the o-rings on the tank sections and the cap.. if they leak, the juice comes out the bottom.

CookieMonster225

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Check the o-rings on the tank sections and the cap.. if they leak, the juice comes out the bottom.
Just did. I cleaned and rebuilt it. They seemed loose and it was leaking. I tightened them and it seems to have stopped. We'll see.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Someone should create a list of at least the most popular Kayfuns - with links, maybe pix, and comments.
Then the OP here would have a way to quickly see what's in his price range, and shop...
  • SvoeMesto
  • Kebo Russian
  • HCigar
  • Artemis/CustomModCreations/Black Edition
  • EHPro
  • Tobeco
  • Other junk...
(I can't do it - all I have are Kebo Russians)

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The "black edition" is from www.custommodcreations.com, and has a good reputation.

Lol naw, she's super curious about everything I do so once I waited a minute for her to stop sniffing the tank she looked at me. If it had been mango she probably would have tried to take my hand off for it! They can't process fruits or veggies, just meat, but she has a wicked sweet tooth. You can't let her see smoothie cups!

From what I'm hearing the original Kayfun was made then the Russian came out which corrected a bunch of issues. Then Kayfun turned around and and made similar changes? Now all the various models that are coming out now are based off that. Do I have it right so far? Who does the Kayfun Black? They mentioned it briefly on Mod Envy last night and said they have a really good version out right now. I had the link saved but my laptop came unplugged and died. Just trying to figure out all the various versions. I appreciate everyone's input!

VU Sponsors