Become a Patron!

DIY BASIC TIPS AND TRICKS

vapingmandycat

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Show Host
TIPS AND TRICKS

Clear the Palate
Bread absorbs flavors, saltines use salt to stimulate taste buds back to normal, crackers absorb other flavors. Saltine or bit of croissant followed by a mouthful of distilled water spit out after swishing.

Nicotine Storage

Nicotine solutions should be stored in a dry, cool, dark location that is secured from untrained personnel. Always keep Nicotine solutions out of the reach of children and pets. For long term storage keep Nicotine solutions in a glass container with an airtight lid, and proper labeling. To help prevent oxidation, keep Nicotine solutions away from heat, light, and in contact with as little oxygen as possible. Nicotine solutions may be safely stored at room temperature. Optimal storage temperature is 34-41 degrees Fahrenheit. Nicotine solutions may be safely used for up to 18 months with proper storage.

Thinning VG
Typical dilution levels for VG in order to thin the viscosity is 20% of the amount of VG used. This can be done using distilled water, PGA (Everclear, vodka), or a combination of both.

Steeping Juice
Put bottle of juice in a cup of hot, hot water until it cools down. Shake, shake, shake. Then steep until flavor is right for you. Take cap off every day and shake to air it out. Length of steeping depends on the juice and your own tastes, a few days up to a few weeks.

Labeling Your Juice
Use a sharpie and number your bottles on the bottom and write what's in them on paper. Then you can change the name on the paper when you change the juice in the bottle and not have to waste labels. Reapply numbers on bottles after washing.

Colored rubber bands works too!, can even put the same bands on your DIY flavor bottles.

Sweetners
Splenda Powder
Dilute it to liquid first. Use PG or 190 proof liquor. 20% sweetener to diluting base, then only use little bits at a time. ~Steve Sweetland
PA Sweetner
PA Marshmallow Concentrated Flavor
Cotton Candy Flavor
Brown Sugar Flavor
Sucralose
PA Sweet Cream at @ 2% with strong flavors
Stevia (Kal Stevia Extract Powder, only need a few grains per 5 mL what you can scoop on the end of a toothpick. You can also get liquid Stevia in the grocery store.

Coolants
Menthol drops/crystals
The Chill Factor from Blue Mist Vaping
Koolada (TPA)
Ice Bombay vaping

Sours
TPA sour 1 drop/mL or less Citric acid powder
Malic - (TPA)
Tart and Sour (LA)

Throat Hit
Typically the higher your nicotine level is, the harder the throat hit. You may need to supplement for throat hit as you drop your nicotine levels.

Add alcohol to your mix @ 10% per volume and adjust per taste. Vodka works nice (good vodka). If you want to take it up a notch, use bourbon (good bourbon!).

Tobacco Extract
Will stain anything it comes in contact with. Do not use the same syringes you use with anything else. Remember you are adding something you may have been trying to get away from in the first place.

Tanks
Cinnamon and Citrus flavors are known to crack tanks
Tobacco extract stains.

Tone Down a Recipe
AAA Magic Mask - Freedom Smoke USA

Nicotine Test Kits
Eliquid Test
Cherry Vape

About Flavors
Do not buy oil based flavors.
Check with your vendors and make sure DIACETYL is not a part of your flavor.

All recipes are subjective on percentages of flavoring used. Tweak to your own taste.
Total percentage of flavorings can vary 8% up to 35% or more depending on what you are mixing and your own tastes. Some individual flavorings are very strong and need very small amounts, like Marachino cherry, spearmint, lime, chocolate and some coffee. Other flavors are good for sweetners. Experiment!

Many vendors offer flavors already mixed so you just add pg/vg/nic and don't have to worry about getting the flavors right (evaporclouds and vixen vapors). Tasty Vapors offers doublers which have pg/vg already added with no nic. Yum Drops has flavors already mixed with sweetner.

Medical Issues
Diabetes - A lot of flavors and juice has sweetners. Check with your doctor before ordering juice or DIYing and talk to the vendors about ingredients and sweetners they use. They will work with you and if they don't, find a different vendor.
Sucralose: "Sold under the brand name Splenda, this artificial sweetener is 600 times sweeter than sugar and is very useful in baking because granulated Splenda can be directly substituted for sugar in recipes. Safety: Because sucralose is newer, there are fewer long-range studies available regarding its safety. That said, it has FDA approval and is accepted by the American Diabetes Association for use by all three types of diabetics."
Stevia: "With its steviol glycoside extracts having up to 300 times the sweetness of sugar, stevia has garnered attention with the rise in demand for low-carbohydrate, low-sugar food alternatives. Because stevia has a negligible effect on blood glucose, it is attractive as a natural sweetener to people on carbohydrate-controlled diets."

Lung Disease - People with COPD and other issues such colds, and bronchitis do better with a higher percentage of VG. Try going at least 60% VG or higher. You can thin VG with distilled water or PGA. Speak with your doctor before vaping/DIYing and work with your vendor.

Allergies - Some people are more sensitive to PG and do better with VG. If you have problems with sore throats and irritation, try switching to a higher VG level. If you exhibit any signs of difficulty breathing or fascial/tongue/throat swelling, discontinue use, and call a doctor or go to the emergency room immediately.

Cleaning Equipment
Top choices: Hot soapy distilled water, vinegar, and PGA (pure grain alcohol).
ConnieKaye Posts: 23
vape star: 5

SeaVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank You a Great bit of info. Very nice to have.

Razaiel177

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
very informative post vapingmandycat. Thank you.

avibp

Member For 4 Years
(hug) Thank you vapingmandycat.

That is exceptionally kind and beyond informative. (/hug)

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
dilute vg with alcohol for use?
why not pg instead, especially if one wants to add to throat hit?
Why does VG have to be thinned at all anyway?

FA Marshmallow is a good sweetener as well.
And can't forget FA Vape Wizard

I have read a lot of posts from people with diabetes who did tests and found that vaping had a negligible effect on blood sugar.
Would go days without vaping vs chain vaping for hours and barely had any difference in measurements.

Last edited:

tatty29

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thinking of starting to diy my own liquid. Thank you for the information. All very valuable but easy to get head around

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2easy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you Vapingmandycat,very helpful indeed.When I first tried diy I didn't have computer so no forums.Totally on my own.I can still remember my first recipe.1oz.everclear,1tsp.sugar,and 2caps of liquid smoke.I was going for a tobacco flavour.Ha!,sure made me cough like real cigs.Cheers

PickNic Basket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
TIPS AND TRICKS

Clear the Palate
Bread absorbs flavors, saltines use salt to stimulate taste buds back to normal, crackers absorb other flavors. Saltine or bit of croissant followed by a mouthful of distilled water spit out after swishing.

Sweetners
Splenda Powder
Dilute it to liquid first. Use PG or 190 proof liquor. 20% sweetener to diluting base, then only use little bits at a time. ~Steve Sweetland

A quick and easy way to clear the palate is to open a coffee can and deeply inhale through your nose. The sense of taste is greatly linked to the sense of smell. You don't just need to rest your taste buds, you also need to reset your nose.

Do not use Splenda. Sucralose is but a tiny part of Splenda. 95% of Splenda is made up of the sugars dextrose and maltodextrin. These can gunk up coils. If you want to use sucralose, buy sucralose.

Debbiej

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vapingmandycat, optimal storage nicotine is 34-41F? That's almost like storing in fridge.
Steeping........getting ready for my first batch. Anxious, worried it will taste like crap and really don't have the extra $$ to waste........so steep for 3-10 days or so.
Making a brown sugar... Like Claim your Throne
A vanilla custard. A cereal clone of The Milk
Have no pg.......didn't order, like max VG. Hope I haven't missed anything. Here goes!!!

VU Sponsors