Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Don't forget gloves, face mask and some kind of eye protection.

Stainless steel workstation and good quality amber colored bottles to store your goodies in.

And nice bright lights are always helpful.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
You could look up the requirements for OSHA DHEC and the FDA for clean rooms too..
I used to have the links.. not sure where I put them..

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
If you are going to go all out and build a clean room, you can be talking some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

But what you may be able to achieve and keep the proper government agency happy, and I am thinking about the health inspectors that visit restaurants and the like you should start there.

You will be needing a work area with a floor, walls and ceiling (to the best of my knowledge) made of tiles that can be easily cleaned, Stainless steel work areas and the protective gear that I have previously mentioned.

A clean room must have all of this PLUS a specially filtered HVAC system set to a very specific temperature and humidity level (and you must keep daily records of these levels) a crude type of airlock and in additon to the safety gear that I mentioned, you will be wearing a hairnet (you should already be wearing one) as well as a Tyvek suit covering you from head to toe and paper booties.

Talk to your local health department first. Tell them you are just thinking about thinking of it. Try to avoid giving them your address!

DeadShort

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Don't forget the ultra sonic bottle washer. - I use a gram scale for less waste and no mess.. That helps..

Joshua McCord

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
There are different levels of cleanroom, and ISO9 is roughly as clean as regular indoor air. I don't see anybody talking about what class their cleanroom was rated following inspection, nor do I see any indicator as to what the regulations will ultimately require.

Obviously it needs to be a room that is clean, with easily sanitizable surfaces - floor, walls, ceiling, work surfaces in particular. It needs to not be dusty. But does it need to be less that 10,000 particles above 1 micron in a square meter? Will that be required? I feel like the term cleanroom is being thrown around without really meaning anything beyond a room that's clean. The amount of air flow and the grade of filter always get left out of the discussion, probably because there is no standard to dictate it.

StrappedKaos

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can take the advice from previous poster and find out what level you want/need depending on what the motivation for doing it is.
Consider this if its personal diy and not a business.-
Get refrigerator boxes, enough to build a small room in the room you plan to work in. Using a thicker mil plastic drop cloths seal the inside as best as you can and all seams and corners. Attach a box fan on roof and cut hole for it, attach a home heap filter and use that as an exhaust vent. Then under the desk cut hole attach another box fan with hepa filter as intake. Intake fan blows in and exhaust sucks out. Get bright florescent light above and vape to verify with fans off little to no movement of vapor and on they flow thru. Make a door on box and use 3m Velcro to completely seal the door, its easy to undo to enter and exit the clean room. Use stainless utensils and always have a large bowl of water for eye rinse and hand wash in emergency. Limit the times in and out and only turn on intake while entering and exiting to not create a vacuum which will pull thru door when you open it.

This is in now way to be used for any regulated items it is simply a way to keep everything a safe and clean as possible with minimal investment. You can always add more ideas but it will keep particulates down and help with dust/dander. It also helps keep animals and other unwanted to just roam in. I have made one similar for safety and cleanliness but I just diy for me and family/friends, stainless table top/desk and sanitizer for after to spray on all surfaces will also help.
"This is just a basic guide for ideas amd not a end all be all, simply insight"
Dont read to much into as its not a clean room for regulated ejuice but can help a diy person.

hitman4274

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
lots of good informations here, good stuff! A clean room does cost some major cash, but it's so worth it.

disco180

Member For 4 Years
You would be better off renting space in a Commercial Kitchen, not too expensive and you don't have to worry about cleaning up or the health inspectors.

VU Sponsors