Become a Patron!

DIY E-liquid and wicking issues

acidrain23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So, I've noticed that my DIY juice has been burning on my coils a lot. Way more than any of the commecial e-liquids I've tried. I don't use sweetner as a general rule. I mix at 60/40 VG/PG ratio usually with 12 mg nicotine.

As far as hardware goes I've got a Hana Modz v3 30 watt box mod with a kanger aerotank. It has come to my attention recently that maybe I've had the airflow too loose and there hasnt been enough air pressure to keep the coils wet. After tightening that up, it seems to have temporarily fixed the problem, though now the draw is too tight for my liking.

Anyway, just wondering if thinning out my juice with distilled water would be beneficial. If so, how much water is good? Thanks!!!!

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't add any more than 10%. Usually 45/45/10 for me.

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
I use Hana 30W v3 as well, with 5ml Nautilus BVC.

All my DIY are pure VG other than my 100mg Nic PG Base and PG Flavourings (ends up 78-83% or so depending on how much flavour I use in recipe at 12-18mg)

Smallest/2nd smallest airflow, aligning airflow with atomizer holes, and sometimes the tightness of the glass tank are all contributing factors to getting the right vacuum / wicking action. Some people use a punch to increase the hole size, but since moving away from BDC coils, I have yet to have issues

Most of the time my wattage is set around 11 - 13. I go a little higher when I open the air up. Works out to around 5v

So there are quite a few variables in play... and even some poorly engineered (BDC)/ knockoff (FastTech) atom issues.

Hope this helps!

VU Sponsors