Become a Patron!

DIY question

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Can i use tap water to thin out VG?...ive seen some say use distilled but is tap water ok untill i get my PG ordered?.. Im having a wicking issue with the thicker vg/pg mix...Not really using as much nic and flavoring (pg based) as i thought i would so i need to thin it out a bit

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a lot of mineral content and chlorine in tap water that are not doing your lungs any favors. Have I done it in a pinch, yes. Do I recommend it, no. Why not just buy a gallon of distilled water for $2-3 at the grocery?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There's a lot of mineral content and chlorine in tap water that are not doing your lungs any favors. Meanwhile you can buy a gallon of distilled water for $2-3 at the grocery. Have I done it, yes. Do I recommend it, no.

Gotcha...ill pick up some distilled tomorrow untill my pg gets here...thank you.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just did a zero pg zero flavor mix with vg nic, vg and distilled water.
It works.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just did a zero pg zero flavor mix with vg nic, vg and distilled water.
It works.

I need something thats for sure...my kayfun and taifun were working great with a 50 50 mix i bought online...soon as i tried diy juice i made i kept getting dry hits and having to primer puff all the time..screw that...have a 2.4mm dia wick in both to..smh.

With only 5 percent flavor and 6mg nic its not much pg added.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I need something thats for sure...my kayfun and taifun were working great with a 50 50 mix i bought online...soon as i tried diy juice i made i kept getting dry hits and having to primer puff all the time..screw that...have a 2.4mm dia wick in both to..smh.

With only 5 percent flavor and 6mg nic its not much pg added.
My tinnitus was getting out of hand.. so went no PG and it if clearing up.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My tinnitus was getting out of hand.. so went no PG and it if clearing up.
I'm glad it's getting bettter. I know you prefer max VG for that reason. Don't you normally use very low flavorings anyway? Sucks that it got bad, but I'm curious what your flavor % normally are, prior to this.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm glad it's getting bettter. I know you prefer max VG for that reason. Don't you normally use very low flavorings anyway? Sucks that it got bad, but I'm curious what your flavor % normally are, prior to this.
3-10% depending on the mix.
Now rocking vg nic, vg and a few vg flavors thinned with distilled water.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Can i use tap water to thin out VG?...ive seen some say use distilled but is tap water ok untill i get my PG ordered?.. Im having a wicking issue with the thicker vg/pg mix...Not really using as much nic and flavoring (pg based) as i thought i would so i need to thin it out a bit

In a pinch, if you can't get to the store for water, you can boil a (covered) wide pot of tap water on the stove. Every couple minutes, collect the water that condenses on the inside of the lid. In other words, you can make your own distilled water. It's not convenient for long-term, but it'll do for right now, even if you have cruddy tap water.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In a pinch, if you can't get to the store for water, you can boil a (covered) wide pot of tap water on the stove. Every couple minutes, collect the water that condenses on the inside of the lid. In other words, you can make your own distilled water. It's not convenient for long-term, but it'll do for right now, even if you have cruddy tap water.

I can get to the store...i just wanted to know...was just looking for a quick fix last night to my dry hits.

Does using distilled effect anything like flavor ,over using pg?
Better,worse,no difference really?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I can get to the store...i just wanted to know...was just looking for a quick fix last night to my dry hits.

For me, it just means avoiding nasty dry hits. I don't get flavor changes from water.

WilliamC83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Distilled water won't really effect the flavor of a juice but depending on the amount used it can reduce the vapor production however, if your using a high VG ratio it will most likely be negligible.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok...i made premix of 100ml of vg mixed with distilled and think i used too much water...i went for a 60vg/40 water mix and its really super thin more like the water...lol....too much?

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Ok...i made premix of 100ml of vg mixed with distilled and think i used too much water...i went for a 60vg/40 water mix and its really super thin more like the water...lol....too much?
I think most people will tell you they use up to 10 %. I think distilled water hates me. if I use more than 2% DW I dislike my vape. its got to be all in my head because it doesnt make sence why it shouldnt work but for me personally any more than that and it becomes watered down , less vapor , and usually runs out the airhole. Ive steeped it, changed o rings over and over , triple checked my amounts and wrote santa a letter to help me. no dice. I know this is a master of the obvious statement but do you have a dripper ? you could just sub ohm until you got your PG lol

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think 40% water is not going to work! As Willmc said, most people seem to add around 10% to the VG so it wicks properly in a tank! Water is much thinner than pg.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think most people will tell you they use up to 10 %. I think distilled water hates me. if I use more than 2% DW I dislike my vape. its got to be all in my head because it doesnt make sence why it shouldnt work but for me personally any more than that and it becomes watered down , less vapor , and usually runs out the airhole. Ive steeped it, changed o rings over and over , triple checked my amounts and wrote santa a letter to help me. no dice. I know this is a master of the obvious statement but do you have a dripper ? you could just sub ohm until you got your PG lol

No..no drippers..just tanks....well i suppose i could split the bottle up and refill each with 50 percent more PG and hope it thickens it up...Just hate to think i wasted all my vg with this mistake...i was thinking the water was a complete substitute percentage wise.

Splitting it should make it 80/20 i think.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think 40% water is not going to work! As Willmc said, most people seem to add around 10% to the VG so it wicks properly in a tank! Water is much thinner than pg.
.Ty AmandaD....lesson learned...lol

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Any chance if i let it sit ,the vg will work its way to the bottom?

WilliamC83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Any chance if i let it sit ,the vg will work its way to the bottom?

I highly doubt that will work. Considering VG is so water soluble even if you used a centrifuge I don't think they would separate. I think your only hope to fix that batch is to add 30% more VG & more flavorings, that should bring it down to 10% DW, at least in theory anyway.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I highly doubt that will work. Considering VG is so water soluble even if you used a centrifuge I don't think they would separate. I think your only hope to fix that batch is to add 30% more VG & more flavorings, that should bring it up to 10% DW, at least in theory anyway.

Yea, i havent added flavors at all...was just trying to make a pre mix to make it easier...... wanted to Fill smaller 10ml bottles minus whatever percentage of flavoring and nic i would need to add for an actual 10ml mix.

I'll get more vg...still have a bit left to try again.
Im just gonna dump it out and call it lesson learned.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Actually i wont throw it out...ill use it as my water mix i think.

Ill try 5 percent of the bad mix as my dillutent.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Actually i wont throw it out...ill use it as my water mix i think.

Ill try 5 percent of the bad mix as my dillutent.
perfect Idea

VU Sponsors