Become a Patron!

Do batteries in series increase safe amp load

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I want to get a sigelli 150 watt. I currently vape at .2 and the Sig can fire to .1

If I build .1 it would definitely be pushing the saftey zone of the 18650's

So how does the series effect this?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In series the voltage is increased but not the max amp rating. You would need a parallel setup to increase max amps.

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You will be safe vaping whatever the sig will fire, unless the inner circuitry is mussed up and as long as you are using appropriate batteries (25+ amp continuous). One thing to consider, higher voltage = lower amps for a given wattage.
In general though:
Parallel - doubles amperage and milliamp hours (mah)
Series - doubles voltage

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its regulated. 150 watts pushes the 18650's regardless of the load. With a regulated mod, there are 2 sides to the equation. I calculated that a 20 amp battery can output around 70 watts, max. So with two batteries (series or parallel) when the device is attempting to dissipate 150 watts in the load, the batteries will be over my 70 watt calculation. Plus the power required for the regulator. SO it would need 30 amp batteries to operate. You can also push it with a range of loads, likely from .1 up to whatever would be 150 watts at the max voltage of the regulator. Just get some VTC4s and vape away...

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Sigelei 150 has a max input current of 30 amps. The batteries are in series so each cell needs to support 30 amps in order to safely use every bit of the power the sig can possibly make. Also, just because you're using 'x' amps at the load doesn't mean the batteries have the same 'x' amps being pulled from them. Regulated and unregulated devices (mechs and vv/vw devices) don't work the same way.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Being as the Sig is a regulated device that fires down to .15 you will be fine.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In series the voltage is increased but not the max amp rating. You would need a parallel setup to increase max amps.

That's true. However, the available power doubles both with batteries in series or in parallel. As a result, if the device is regulated, for a given power output, the device would pull half as much current with two batteries in series as it would do with only one. So you still end up being able to use batteries with lower amp ratings than what would be necessary if the mod only took one battery.

I think the real limiting factor is the resistance limit imposed by the regulation hardware itself.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If he puts 10amp batteries in a device that has a max input current of 30amps he very possibly might not be fine.
However, the device has a chip that will cut off the device if it gets to hot. So at least he has that going for him

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's true. However, the available power doubles both with batteries in series or in parallel. As a result, if the device is regulated, for a given power output, the device would pull half as much current with two batteries in series as it would do with only one. So you still end up being able to use batteries with lower amp ratings than what would be necessary if the mod only took one battery.

I think the real limiting factor is the resistance limit imposed by the regulation hardware itself.

Yes, and I would like to also add that given the amp rating of the battery, you can calculate roughly the maximum wattage a given battery can output. a 10 amp battery ~35 watts. 20 amp ~ 70 watts, and 30 amp ~105 watts. Per battery of course. So VERY roughly speaking 2 10 amp batteries would work if you keep the watts below 70. Again, very rough calculations, and this doesn't allow for any head room. But don't do it. Just get the right batteries.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Current is common in series and additive in parallel. The amp load is not split between the two batteries when they're in series. Two 10a batteries in series gives you a max cdr of 10a.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Precisely I was speaking in terms of wattage. Watts in must equal watts out. Battery current is not the same as load current on a regulated device.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Battery current is not the same as load current on a regulated device.
I know. Most people don't get that. My previous post was in response to the following quote which is absolutely wrong.
However, the available power doubles both with batteries in series or in parallel. As a result, if the device is regulated, for a given power output, the device would pull half as much current with two batteries in series as it would do with only one.
This is false^.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its pretty straight forward that series doubles volts and parallel doubles amp capacity. My idea is that if you are pulling 4.2 volts from two batteries in series then you are using half so that would mean you are only using half of the amperage per battery?

VU Sponsors