Become a Patron!

Do flavorings go bad over time , average use by dates?

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just wondering .

Thanks

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The usual wisdom is two years after it is mixed.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you RJ , so if it's just flavoring in the bottle and not mixed it should be good for even longer i assume or do flavorings come mixed? Like a blueberry for example

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
flavors have a long shelf life.. over 2 years, but no longer than 5 yrs

if you notice your flavoring is starting to come apart, or crystals have formed and won't "melt" back into the mix..
best to toss it out.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys, I always wondered about that. It would great if they had a born on date.
How long on V.G.?
How long on P.G.?

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, thank you very much.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys, I always wondered about that. It would great if they had a born on date.
How long on V.G.?
How long on P.G.?

There's an expiration date on both my PG and VG. But I store it in the freezer to extend the life - no idea how long it will be good for!

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is there any data or studies on the effects of storing flavoring in the fridge , i wonder if it really does prolong the life. I also wonder if there are any adverse effects of doing so.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is there any data or studies on the effects of storing flavoring in the fridge , i wonder if it really does prolong the life. I also wonder if there are any adverse effects of doing so
I have read that refrigeration can cause re-crystallization of some flavors that have a lot of crystals in them like eythyl malto in them, as they warm back up these crystals should melt back in. All flavoring, stored for over a month or so should stored in glass containers. I don't think refrigeration causes harm to them.

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How long on V.G.?
How long on P.G.?

VG and PG by themselves last a long time, mixed with nic and flavors, they degrade over a couple years.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The 2 year shelf life date is given by the fda and other agencies to ensure that consumers are using viable products. Many studies, including ones for pharmaceuticals, have shown that the 2 year date is inaccurate and fairly randomly assigned.

Keep extracts out of the fridge.

Refrigerating flavor concentrates
  • speeds up the natural separation of the flavor from the liquid base
  • allows unwanted condensation to form
  • temperature fluctuations lessen the shelf life (unless you're going to mix in the fridge)
To extend the shelf life
  • make sure lids are on securely
  • keep in a cool, dark place away from heat, moisture (like a fridge), and sunlight
If you're keeping them in the kitchen, avoid cupboards near the stove, dishwasher, fridge, or even shelves by windows...which means the kitchen isn't the best place to store them. You want to minimize temperature variations.

If you keep them in an ideal location, they should last 2 years to indefinitely. After awhile, they will lose flavor potency, but they do not go bad.

Flavored Oil are the exception. These can and should be refrigerated. Bacteria seems to grow in oils in room-temperature air. However, they should not be stored in a freezer.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The 2 year shelf life date is given by the fda and other agencies to ensure that consumers are using viable products. Many studies, including ones for pharmaceuticals, have shown that the 2 year date is inaccurate and fairly randomly assigned.

Keep extracts out of the fridge.

Refrigerating flavor concentrates
  • speeds up the natural separation of the flavor from the liquid base
  • allows unwanted condensation to form
  • temperature fluctuations lessen the shelf life (unless you're going to mix in the fridge)
To extend the shelf life
  • make sure lids are on securely
  • keep in a cool, dark place away from heat, moisture (like a fridge), and sunlight
If you're keeping them in the kitchen, avoid cupboards near the stove, dishwasher, fridge, or even shelves by windows...which means the kitchen isn't the best place to store them. You want to minimize temperature variations.

If you keep them in an ideal location, they should last 2 years to indefinitely. After awhile, they will lose flavor potency, but they do not go bad.

Flavored Oil are the exception. These can and should be refrigerated. Bacteria seems to grow in oils in room-temperature air. However, they should not be stored in a freezer.

So , glass bottles are better than plastic for storing long term (Jim ) and flavors lose potency after awhile , wish "awhile" could be defined better but i get it. I ordered some fruit flavors from Loranns , i think they may be oils dang it.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So , glass bottles are better than plastic for storing long term (Jim ) and flavors lose potency after awhile , wish "awhile" could be defined better but i get it. I ordered some fruit flavors from Loranns , i think they may be oils dang it.
I seen that on the TFA site. Go there look under FAQ on the home page, kinda hard to find with old eyes like mine.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Jimi, appreciate it.

VU Sponsors