Become a Patron!

Do you ever feel like your heart belongs somewhere else?

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am from the states and every day I walk around in my daily routine doing the same old thing over and over, seeing the same old faces just imagining the culture in far away places and how beautiful the scenery must be!? I feel lonely here and like I am living a dull life without color or without expression. I have seen many states and everything just appears the same and recently I feel like I belong elsewhere, I just really feel it. I have been doing a lot of research on Europe and have a strong interest in Europe.

I have talked to my girlfriend about this and she insists that she could never move from the country because of her family and friends, but I am different because I want new faces and people to meet and to explore the world before I " go " . She tells me that It would be the end of our relationship but that does not seem to phase me because " the spark " in our relationship has faded quite a bit. I am not saying I want to move far away because of her either, I would stay with her if our interests in life were somewhat mutual.

So why am I interested ? Obviously the feeling of belonging somewhere else, culture, new environment, people and woman.. honestly some of the most beautiful that I have seen, and the buildings and landscape are just so beautiful. I may visit first before anything and I plan to in about two years so that way I can save money and study the language.

so, are there any others out there who have actually had this feeling, and maybe even acted on it?
anyone care to share their thoughts? Much would be appreciated and I am feeling alone in this,

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's called wanderlust. Enjoy it.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The grass always seems greener on the other side. Until you are trapped there as well.

There is enough beauty here, and culture HERE, that I have no need to travel the world to find enough to satisfy me.

So I can't really relate to the need to leave the country, but I CAN relate to being tired of where you are. I was there at 19. I made a change in scenery and have been happy with that decision ever since.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try moving to a different region of the US first - living it is much different than seeing it. How you deal with that culture shock will be a good measuring stick before going outside the national borders.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you don't at least go to Europe and have a look, you will regret it for the rest of your life. Trust your instincts. Go out and explore.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try moving to a different region of the US first - living it is much different than seeing it. How you deal with that culture shock will be a good measuring stick before going outside the national borders.

I had spent a year living with my mom and her boyfriend in Montana and It was fun, and I have spent a lot of time in Florida as well and it just is not the same. the people are great especially out west because they are so friendly!

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you don't at least go to Europe and have a look, you will regret it for the rest of your life. Trust your instincts. Go out and explore.

There is no doubt that I will be saving up and taking a trip in the next year or so, my only thing is I may never come back.
I mean, you have never had that feeling to state a completely new life... fresh... with no chance that you will no anybody ?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Take a long train ride to Amsterdam and get off the train ten times on the way to see the sites and then party like a madman when you get there.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Take a long train ride to Amsterdam and get off the train ten times on the way to see the sites and then party like a madman when you get there.
My buddy insisted in stopping in Amsterdam, he said he would really go with me then but im not even about that tourist attraction! haha

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I think I pretty much have the wanderlust you speak of satisfied.

But I still enjoy traveling and meeting new people and I plan on going back to Europe again and visit other countries to explore my heritage further.

But if you are looking to migrate, save yourself some hassle and go to English speaking countries.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

But I still enjoy traveling and meeting new people and I plan on going back to Europe again and visit other countries to explore my heritage further.

But if you are looking to migrate, save yourself some hassle and go to English speaking countries.
where did you visit in Europe?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am from the states and every day I walk around in my daily routine doing the same old thing over and over, seeing the same old faces just imagining the culture in far away places and how beautiful the scenery must be!? I feel lonely here and like I am living a dull life without color or without expression. I have seen many states and everything just appears the same and recently I feel like I belong elsewhere, I just really feel it. I have been doing a lot of research on Europe and have a strong interest in Europe.

I have talked to my girlfriend about this and she insists that she could never move from the country because of her family and friends, but I am different because I want new faces and people to meet and to explore the world before I " go " . She tells me that It would be the end of our relationship but that does not seem to phase me because " the spark " in our relationship has faded quite a bit. I am not saying I want to move far away because of her either, I would stay with her if our interests in life were somewhat mutual.

So why am I interested ? Obviously the feeling of belonging somewhere else, culture, new environment, people and woman.. honestly some of the most beautiful that I have seen, and the buildings and landscape are just so beautiful. I may visit first before anything and I plan to in about two years so that way I can save money and study the language.

so, are there any others out there who have actually had this feeling, and maybe even acted on it?
anyone care to share their thoughts? Much would be appreciated and I am feeling alone in this,
No I feel like this all the time and even though I have worked in quite a few states seen alot of countries I always everyday feel I need to just keep going some say that one must make their happiness and be content. I believe personally that one can create a false happiness but I am still searching I know life is no rose garden I am fully aware of that one.. I feel the same my heart is somewhere else.... you are not alone

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm from the UK and have lived all over the world..I even Lived on a beach for a year in the Canary Islands in a tent...Got most of my food from catching it in the ocean and the only thing I had to worry about was high tide (I wasn't homeless it was my choice and I had money in a bank if needed)...I felt the way you did ever since I was a kid... When I was 16 my first true traveling experience was joining the
Traveling carnival (fair in the UK) and that's what started me on my way... I just got further and further away..It's somewhat of a messed up story how I came and stayed here in the US but my plans was never really to come here let alone stay...I was living in Builum at the time working and saving to explore the middle east and the then to India this was in 1990...I was going to go down the River Nile see the Pyramids Maybe go to Israel and work on a kibbutz for some time...etc...But the Kuwait war had started and it wasn't advised to go in that area at that time...I met some people (Americans) a long time before that(On my travels) who ran into some trouble and that I helped out ..Anyway for their thanks had offered anytime that I wanted to come to the US I was more then welcome...So here I am now..I didn't plan on staying and to tell you the truth it's not my cuppa tea but I met my wife to be (25years later and still with her and have a kid) she also didn't want to leave due to family:rolleyes:... I'm still very good friends with the people who I helped out and was even a best man at one of there weddings...Theres a lot more to this story and the places I have visited and lived and the people I have met but I'm going to tell you this....GET THE HELL OUT OF DODGE!!!...Travailing has opened my eyes and mind to so many things..It makes me sick people here say the USA is the best county in the world when most of them haven't even been out of there own state...Don't get me wrong I'm not Anti American I'm just Anti ignorance and sad to say there seems a lot of it around...Sure the US is better then a lot of countries but America isn't the only free country (A lot of countries are free)...This USA is the best country in the world always gets me... best in what????...it sure isn't health care (Raked 37th in the world) is sure isn't Eduction (Raked 17th in the world) The only thing I can think of is Military might...I know all this because 1: I follow stuff like that and 2: because I have lived in many countries to see it first hand...So please if you have a chance travel out of the US open your eyes to different Cultures, People and ways of Thinking please do... Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it:) Good luck if you follow your dreams and what your heart is yearning for your... if it's not for you but my gut feeling says it is...you can always come back :)

Last edited:

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

English speaking countries do help but you'll always find people who speak English anywhere

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you took a long train ride here and got off 10 times you'll probably see this and feel like you're at home
800_Mall-2-side-800-1.JPG

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My buddy insisted in stopping in Amsterdam, he said he would really go with me then but im not even about that tourist attraction! haha
Me and my mates use to go to Amsterdam all the time it was only a 3hr trip for us and this was before the "chunnel" when it was just ferry or hovercraft ... after awhile we knew all the non tourist attractions places and later on that's where I use to hang out the most...Where the real people hung out

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's how I did it with the traveling fair...Man did I get hooked! :) But you're right a visit is a lot different to living

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have lived in 8 different States here, stayed in another 30 or so for at least a week and lived in another 2 countries in Europe (one for 10 yrs) and one in the Middle East, and visited at least 12 other countries around the world. While it is cool to wonder 'what if', I can say without a doubt that visiting is much better and leaves you much more satisfied and with better memories than actually living there. However, if you ARE gonna move, Europe poses the least chance of culture shock. You will experience it though, as you will forever always be 'the outsider'. This leads to you feeling that unhappiness again. My advice, travel. Take your GF and simply go visit the places and experience the wonderful cultures. Make the memories. Keep the happiness. Going to live there just might actually ruin it..

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have lived in 8 different States here, stayed in another 30 or so for at least a week and lived in another 2 countries in Europe (one for 10 yrs) and one in the Middle East, and visited at least 12 other countries around the world. While it is cool to wonder 'what if', I can say without a doubt that visiting is much better and leaves you much more satisfied and with better memories than actually living there. However, if you ARE gonna move, Europe poses the least chance of culture shock. You will experience it though, as you will forever always be 'the outsider'. This leads to you feeling that unhappiness again. My advice, travel. Take your GF and simply go visit the places and experience the wonderful cultures. Make the memories. Keep the happiness. Going to live there just might actually ruin it..
I agree with this except the part about taking his GF. Sounds like he needs to experience life without lugging his girlfriend around. If she starts having a bad time then that's going to bring him down and ruin the entire point of going.

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
He could marry her, but that's probably a whole separate topic.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, 9 states :)

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree with this except the part about taking his GF. Sounds like he needs to experience life without lugging his girlfriend around. If she starts having a bad time then that's going to bring him down and ruin the entire point of going.
Could, however, help in that when you are there, you basically have only each other to spend time with and make memories about..

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Could, however, help in that when you are there, you basically have only each other to spend time with and make memories about..
It's very hard to satisfy wanderlust by sharing the experience with someone in that way. I use to like to just jump in my car and go on adventures, wherever the road took me. Some of my best memories came from doing that. One time I started dating a woman and I told her I was going on a roadtrip and she said she wanted to go too so I thought that might be fun. She immediately gets out the map and starts planning where we are going, what hotels we're going to stay in, what we'll be doing day by day. The highlight of the trip ended up being going to a water park in the Wisconsin Dells. It ended up being all about what she wanted to do and I never got the adventure that I desired.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's very hard to satisfy wanderlust by sharing the experience with someone in that way. I use to like to just jump in my car and go on adventures, wherever the road took me. Some of my best memories came from doing that. One time I started dating a woman and I told her I was going on a roadtrip and she said she wanted to go too so I thought that might be fun. She immediately gets out the map and starts planning where we are going, what hotels we're going to stay in, what we'll be doing day by day. The highlight of the trip ended up being going to a water park in the Wisconsin Dells. It ended up being all about what she wanted to do and I never got the adventure that I desired.
Thats what these are for.. "Sorry, only room for me and a bag.. CYA!" :)

Indian-Motorcycle-Classic.jpg

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
lol...I was thinking the opposite as in dump the GF...He might hold that against her later on... I'll be truthful here...I do have somewhat of a grudge with my wife for holding me back due to her not wanting to live other places due to her Family and friends here The funny part of this is...A lot of them moved away over time ( Different states) .... She knows this so anytime I have a chance to travel I can with no qualms...BTW... I have dumped a few GF's in the past so I could travel

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If your girlfriend is not there waiting for you when you get back then she never was yours to begin with. That's what I think. Everyone needs their own space once in a while.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I beg to differ on this a tad..many factors do apply...just for one...I hate the Cold/Winter and living in a warmer climate would work better for me then NJ...Me and the wife did live in Hollywood CA for a few years and I loved it!..she on the other hand likes Seasons and she did miss her family and friends...We are two different people..I can pretty land on my feet anywhere I go as in make new friends find work..etc

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I know that one:(

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I am a Scottish expat and have lived a great many places, but I consider the US my home...and I consider myself an American. Even though I am living where God wants me....I do fully believe that I was born into the wrong century.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know that feeling man! I haven't lived in the same place for more than 2 years since I was 18 :)

I was lucky enough to find a beautiful woman who's got the same wanderlust as I do. We don't really have any plans to "settle" anytime soon. Headed to Denver next! I'm psyched, never lived in a big city before and we are going to be right in the heart of it :)

Try it first, go take some trips around Europe, see if it's really where you want to be. Hell, you can backpack Europe for months on chump change if you plan it out right. Wander around some, check out the spots people don't typically go to!

Salero

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Everyday. I feel like I don't "fit in" or belong where I am. I'm from a small town. Currently living in a small city haha. Really though I love the everybody knows everybody feel. But If I could live anywhere it would be Portland OR, or Seattle WA. Just for the atmosphere and individuality.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
As a Franciscan preacher...I feel quite often that I exist outside of the "Cool Club".......but what they do not know....is that I AM the Cool Club.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors