Become a Patron!

Do You Exhale Through Your Mouth Or Your Nose ?

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Something always gets me when I let someone try a new flavor. Some people you tell them "Try This And Let Me Know If It Tastes Like...." and they exhale through their nose. How can you taste or tell what something tastes like through your nose? Your taste buds are in your mouth ! I don't know for me I exhale through my mouth. I taste the flavor that way. Sometimes if I do try exhaling through my nose and it's high VG my nose starts running right away anyway. Curious to hear your thoughts on this one.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
interesting ! Still don't know though. I don't taste the flavor of the vape if it goes through my nose as if it goes through my mouth

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO how something smells has a very big impact on how it tastes. To try to get a feel for how it actually works I just did a quick Google search and came up with 'taste and smell' and 'How is taste affected by the sense of smell, and vice versa?'

I exhale vapor through both my mouth and nose. After reading the articles I linked to I think smell has more impact on perceived taste than the taste receptors in our tongues do. Interesting stuff :)

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now that I've been paying more attention to what I do I found that I exhale the bulk of the vapor through my mouth but the last tiny bit comes through my nose. So maybe I do both but the most of it is a mouth exhale. (had to re word that first typing didn't sound to good lol)

Callipleura

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I read somewhere (but I can't source it) that nicotine uptake happens in the mouth, lungs and nose. So I inhale into my mouth, then bring to lungs and exhale through my nose.

With analogues I never exhaled though my nose on purpose because the tar build up would not be pleasant through the nose - at least to me. With vaping I tried it because I had read about the nicotine uptake and I like the exhaled smell for most flavours.

I also found exhaling though the nose is a little check if I am not tasting fully (vapers tongue?) as I can gauge the "strength" of the flavouring by smell not only the taste.

Last edited:

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I use both. When I was a newbie I vaped constantly because well I was a heavy smoker. I developed vaper's tongue and well it eventually went away, but I found that while I had that the only real way to enjoy the "taste" of my juice was by smelling it. Also with high nic juices (usually ones I mix for friends) I find that I don't want to inhale the vapor as the lung hit is too much. I also get this when sub-ohming on my atlantis with anything over 9mg.

I also find that if I don't think a juice smells good I usually also think it doesn't taste good. Though there are exceptions.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes taste buds only have 5 elements. Your nose has waaay more. Flavor is definitely in the nose. People also say you get primary notes on an inhale and secondary notes on the exhale.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I exhale through my nose only when im sick or have dry nasal passages. This seems to sooth the dryness and when menthol is added to the Vape it sooths ,cools and opens up my stuffy nose. Otherwise I exhale through my mouth.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Gonna have to try the nose thing myself.

Hope no Boogers come out on exhale:p

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know if you are the same but I get maximum flavor through the nose. I don't always exhale through my nose, but when i do, I get more flavor out of my vape.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok you guys win lol. I've been trying exhaling through both my nose and mouth and I do agree I taste more flavor problem is my nose runs instantly. Right now I'm using 100% VG

interesting ! Still don't know though. I don't taste the flavor of the vape if it goes through my nose as if it goes through my mouth
Bro u taste with your buds and smell with your nose. In vaping both are needed to taste and smell the quality of the juice, and I know what you mean though man, I used to fry my juice and blow clouds of massively wasteful blooms, all just to have my ego stroked, and my builds praised. Now kinda like most people would say. At the end of the road it all comes down to quality of what, you taste and smell when you make vapor. When I go into a shop and test flavors I exhale through my nose and mouth.

I'm new to vape I have the arctic tank 50 watt box and it was good now I can't taste anything taste burnt but it's 2 days old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You fried the cotton. Not enough juice to the coil or you didn't start off low and build up. What VG% are you vaping?

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I do both, if I like the juice in my tank I exhale though my mouth and nose so I can get as much flavor as possible. If I don't like the juice I have going I exhale through my mouth only until I can change juice.

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok you guys win lol. I've been trying exhaling through both my nose and mouth and I do agree I taste more flavor problem is my nose runs instantly. Right now I'm using 100% VG

Please note I'm not an "expert" here

So your nose runs when you exhale vapor through it. While personally I've never had that problem without actually being sick (I caught the flu from a co-worker last year, first time I've been sick in nearly two years actually aside from when someone sneaks in some dairy on me but that effects a different anatomical system, :eek:) or it being allergy season. (Vaping I think has actually made my seasonal allergies worse as my air passages and sinuses are no longer clogged with tar.) I can only think of a few factors that could be at play here:

1. Your nicotine may be at too high a level. If you do not inhale into your lungs your vapor you may not notice that the nic level is too high for you. Myself, I know when I need to raise or lower nic level based on lung/chest feel. But I almost always inhale my vapor into my lungs.

2. PG may be aggravating your mucus membranes. I know you say you're using 100%VG but I can assure you that no juice is 100%VG. Even if you are using a VG nic solution and a VG base, even at USP Pharmaceutical grade there can be as much as 0.3% "other compounds". Probably water, in this particular case. However, if you are using a flavoring of any kind, it likely has PG, or alcohol in it, and PG is more common. I used to cut my max VG mixes with distilled water, this was back before sub-ohming and dual coils and so on so thicker juices tended to be a problem for some heads and cartomizers, but found the water would actually irritate my throat.

3. The flavoring compounds themselves may irritate your mucus membranes. I find some juices cause me to have a sore throat even though they are 60/40 pg/vg or even higher on the VG ratio.

4. You may be sensitive to the VG. I know it sounds strange, but I've heard of others complaining of a sensitivity to VG and thus prefer higher PG blends. (though it seems VG is a necessary component in juice for vapor production.) I would say that these people are likely encountering juices made with food grade VG (which contains more impurities than pharmaceutical grade). That said, I've noticed that I sometimes "feel heaviness" in my lungs/chest when I vape max VG juices in particularly humid environments. And I live in Florida so that is basically anywhere outside during the summer months, which are March thru to October.

VU Sponsors