Become a Patron!

Does a big bore drip tip really matter?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was at a local vape shop and looked the Mutation X RDA on display..was wondering why would anybody would want such a WIDE BORE drip tip on their Atty ..5/16" bore seemed more practical at least for me anyway as that's what I use mostly.

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

cad99

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How about with the flavor have have changed some crappy stick tips out with wider ones for a little more air flow flavor got some better.not sure about that large?

Living the dream one nightmare at a time.

MoFasterMo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How about with the flavor have have changed some crappy stick tips out with wider ones for a little more air flow flavor got some better.not sure about that large?

Living the dream one nightmare at a time.
I swear my Dark Horse has way more flavor than I would have ever guessed. I bought it
for clouds and the flavor is fantastic.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wide is better. For Me, anyway. On a tank I don't think there is any difference. My Tobh 26650 with the huge Sovemesto tip makes a decent cloud. Real thick. Don't use PG in some of my mixes. Flavor & NIC supply that.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
More airflow = clouds
Less airflow = flavour
Explanation = with less airflow you are inhaling a greater concentration of atomised juice. More airflow injected into that atomised juice increases the volume...not unlike what happens when heated air collides with condensation in the atmosphere....hence the creation of cumulus clouds.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
More airflow = clouds
Less airflow = flavour
Explanation = with less airflow you are inhaling a greater concentration of atomised juice. More airflow injected into that atomised juice increases the volume...not unlike what happens when heated air collides with condensation in the atmosphere....hence the creation of cumulus clouds.
That is the way it works here. These Mods are becoming so powerful Voltage & Watts are becoming an issue.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
One major reason why i prefer Chuff Caps and the like for cloud chasing is heat. Dear god how hot those tiny 510 tips can get.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me, air flow isn't the issue, but dripping is: big bore (5 mm diameter or more) is essential to prevent them drops from sticking to the drip tip's wall instead of reaching down onto the coil.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That is why I prefer Pyrex or delryn tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Too much air can be a bummer if your old and pass out.
But really, big bore for me works if I have some type of air control on the base unit. other wise, I fall over.....
I like the air control big bores for the Doge.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I found that for ME the Chuff robs flavour. I'm nae a cloud chaser. I do love the wide open airflow of the Doge and Tobh V2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Too old to really be a real cloud chaser, nice clouds are cool but for me, Flavor is what I want. If I get some dense clouds, with flavor, all the better.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Attys like Doge or Mutation X that are clearly designed without compromises for cloud chasing are to be used for clouds, regardless of flavor. Then there are the attys that put out immense flavor, im not going to ruin them drilling the airflow. I build so that the taste is great, regardless of flavor.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Too much air can be a bummer if your old and pass out.
But really, big bore for me works if I have some type of air control on the base unit. other wise, I fall over.....
I like the air control big bores for the Doge.
So, what's wrong with passin' out? Learned how to do that years ago:rolleyes:

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The only problem with passing out is making sure there is something soft to land on, the cement pavement does hurt when you wake up. I was thinking of packing up head pillows but it just looks damn weird.....
rule of thumb, it's better to be in a comfy chair when you do a big bore drip tip hit. No falling when you pass out!!!!!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like wearing my Motorcycle helmet also. My couch had arms at one time. When I fall off it's not far to go.

Lil T Flex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My max flow gets a lot better flavor than any 510 tip I've had. I made mine custom. Little bit over a half inch clearance at the mouth and an inch and a half long so it won't splash up, and I can take longer hits because it doesn't get to hot. Tastes great and gets insane clouds. Plus, I dare say, it looks pretty sick up on my Sigelei 100 Plus

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a chuff on my tobh and honestly cannot think I would have it any other way.
My main grip with some "wide" bore standard drip tips is that stupid step restricting air flow most have.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Chuff on my Dark Horse and really like the thick clouds.. airflow is so wide open I had to cut it back as the Dark Horse has a wide range of adj settings..But yes, the chuff wide bore (14mm) drip tip makes a big difference, and I wouldn't have it any other way as it was a good upgrade, for me anyway! Lol
ed505e05983e4fd4ccffe22065cbfcf0.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NicksCustoms

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My medium sized bore I made. Like it a lot more over the smaller one. Just need to drill a few more holes in the side for air flow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 36

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My max flow gets a lot better flavor than any 510 tip I've had. I made mine custom. Little bit over a half inch clearance at the mouth and an inch and a half long so it won't splash up, and I can take longer hits because it doesn't get to hot. Tastes great and gets insane clouds. Plus, I dare say, it looks pretty sick up on my Sigelei 100 Plus
Can you post a pic for us?

sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

TwistedVaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
From my experience I would say that it doesn't really make a difference in the cloud. It's really just a preference. I have come to like them a lot, but I also know people who don't like them, so it's just a personal preference.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I love my wide bore drip tips. I use the stock MutationXv2 drip tip on my IPV3 at about 70W with 3 holes per side closed off. Great flavor AND clouds.

On my tube mechs I run wide open at 0.18ish ohms. MutationXv1 with a Chuff and a Pollux with the stock tip. I love the Pollux drip tip. It's that diameter all the way down. I wish the inlets were a little larger (might solve that myself) because they restrict the flow. I'd rather it be restricted at the inlet than the drip tip though because I get juice condensation in my regular tips and I personally don't like juice on my lips.

2278dccf-25fc-4f7f-aa17-f4e80a1184f6.jpg

This is a pic of the MXv1 with Chuff on the IPV3. Don't have a current glamour shot.

1bf522ad-8b36-4c28-95e0-c50fb4247e25.jpg

I find myself using my lungs to control the speed of inhalation instead of being restricted by the tip or AFC. Since I run a relatively cool setup with 26ga parallel coils on my mech tubes I don't have to draw hard to keep it cool like the 20ga and 22ga folks do.

As stated earlier, different stokes.

I do disagree with the notion that you can't get intense flavor with a wide bore drip tip. I have a Hobo with a regular tip and it rarely compares to the flavor I get with the Mx and Pollux setups. I can run the latter hotter, which makes more vapor, which makes more flavor. YMMV.

VU Sponsors