Become a Patron!

Does Anyone Build Above One Ohm Coils ?

MochaVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
New member here.
Smoked pipe & cigars for 40 years - stopped smoking cold turkey when I started Vaping 4 months ago - love it !

I have a X Cube Mini and a Uwell Crown tank.
I like vaping in the 12 to15 watt range with 1.2 to 1.6 ohm coils - ( got the X Cube mini because I like the bar type fire button ( old hand injury ) and because of the extended battery time when using it at lower wattage.
I'd like to hold off on sub ohm vaping for now.

So here's my question ... If I get the Crown RBA can I build above one Ohm coils for it ?
If so any idea of what type wire, gauge, wraps, etc I would I need to use ?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure you can build above 1 ohm....when vaping started out nobody sub-ohmed, and until recently only experinced vapers vaped sub ohm, but with the advent of the pre-made coils and new generation of regulated mods now people with zero experince are vaping sub-ohm....personally I like the 17 watt range.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, I make some 1.2-1.5 Ohm coils for my rebuildable tanks.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Atty rebuilds include:
.5 ohm, .9 ohm, 1.3 ohm and 2 ohm

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only 1.0 ohm + coils I build today is for the low powered Provari seen here with the STM..
My sister is new to vaping and likes MTL for now..
263b6cce722804449f5c6f16ebb80c8f.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I build over 1 ohms. I prefer MTL. I have the RBA for the Crown, but have yet to build it.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use TC most of the time and by nature of wire used getting to a full ohm is not practical; But, if you promise not to tell anyone, ill admit to enjoying a good mtl vape at 1.2 ohms every now and then.
temporary_zpsjcqrdeph.jpg

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
New member here.
Smoked pipe & cigars for 40 years - stopped smoking cold turkey when I started Vaping 4 months ago - love it !

I like vaping in the 12 to15 watt range with 1.2 to 1.6 ohm coils - ( got the X Cube mini because I like the bar type fire button ( old hand injury ) and because of the extended battery time when using it at lower wattage.

So here's my question ... If I get the Crown RBA can I build above one Ohm coils for it ?
First of all welcome to VU and congrats on your quit!

I'm one of the few that doesn't have the Crown so I have not used the rebuildable deck. That being said if it can do single coil I'd go with a 8 wrap with a 2 mm or 2.4 mm inner diameter using 28 gauge Kanthal. This will give a 1.2 or 1.4 ohm coil. I find 28 gauge easier to work with than 30. Plug in your numbers on steam-engine: http://www.steam-engine.org/

Since you have bad paws check out the coil-master for building your coils

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not a big fan of the crown rba deck. I rebuilt a stock crown coil today and it wasn't that bad. This video he uses a tc wire that has very low resistance. If you do the same build with a1 kanthal you'd be over 1.0 ohm.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

RonMack

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I vape my triton at 1.2 my Kayfun lites between 1.2 - 1.5 and my Drippers at .8 give or take kanthal in all 28 gauge

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For my Kayfun v4's I keep my builds right around 1 ohm, give or take a tenth. 28ga Kanthal 3mm 6 wraps will give me about .9 ohms. Simple build that for me gives great flavor, I'm not a clouds guy.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not a big fan of the crown rba deck. I rebuilt a stock crown coil today and it wasn't that bad. This video he uses a tc wire that has very low resistance. If you do the same build with a1 kanthal you'd be over 1.0 ohm.

Cool, thanks for posting. Love my Crowns but the RBA does restrict the airflow. I've currently got fused clapton in one of them now, great flavor but again restrictive airflow. I've event tried doing vertical coils to get the airflow of the stock coils with disappointing results.

Going to try this out, seems actually a lot easier than messing about with vertical coils on the RBA.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I build above a ohm all the time. My 1.5 ohm builds will but out as much Vapor as any super sub ohm builds. I got a 1.00 dual coil in my moonshot with a noisy cricket and it bellows out the vape

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
New member here.

Sweet an other former pipe smoker. I smoked a pipe from the time I was 16 until I was 33 (I'm 36 now) and quit smoking by vaping. Wasn't my intention, just sort of happened.

With an RBA or RTA you can build whatever you want. 1ohm, 0.1 ohm or 10 ohms. The key is that the thicker the wire the lower the reisstance per unit of length so if your goal is in the 1.2-1.6 range I would suggest the thiner wires AWG 32 or 36. Also more wraps increases the resistance too. Finally using one coil instead of dual or more coils will increase your resistance. I typically build for my tester RDA (I'm a diy juice guy so I started building rdas to test flavors first, and later moved to RDAs and RTAs as my preferred method of vaping though I still love my atlantis, triton and nautilus (the guys at the local vape shop say I'm an aspire fanboy) at 0.7 ohms +/- 0.01 ohm with 26 AWG kanthal and 7 wraps at about 2mm, single coiled.

I imagine I could do the same with a single coil with 9 or 11 wraps using the same wire or move to a thinner wire and maintain the 7 wraps.

Personally I prefer in the 0.5-0.8 ohm range and vape around 20w (more or less depending on the juice type, never vaped above 30w even though both of my sub-ohm mods can go over 100w). But I have a tendency for cooler vapor and still do the MTL over DL inhaling method.

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
New member here.

stopped smoking cold turkey ..??..could not do it at the time. needed the help of vaping about 7 years now !
I am vaping at the same range as you now. even use dual coil tanks , modified . with single coils
a 28 g kanthal 2.5 mm , 7 or 8 wraps gives you a good starting point . also try some twisted wire builds .
I am staying with 1.2 to 1.5 ohm coils and at around 14 watts .getting all the vape I want . not even tempted to go low ohms or temp control.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Well I messed about with it, it works great with standard simple wire build but doesn't work well at all with fused Clapton wire, too thick.

Back to the RBA

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am ashamed I have to build coils over 1.2 for mom.

Sure does not help much when she tops the mod out.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am ashamed I have to build coils over 1.2 for mom.

Sure does not help much when she tops the mod out.
Meh, it's all subjective.

Currently sporting a 1.39 Ohm fused Clapton build on my rowdy little friend, damn fine Vape!

cabc3e358eeed89e24cfb9b04d70e114.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Builds in current atties in daily rotation; SAT 22 running 1.9ohm 32awg Nichrome, Kayfun at 1.3 ohm 2x32 twisted Nich, Chalice 3 at 1.15 2x31 twisted Kanthal.
I do have my Hobo 3 running at .76ohms dual 2x31twisted kanthal, wanted to try a lower build for flavor....... Yes I do get more flavor at .7ohms, but the flavor was better at 1ohm. I can pick out nuances in flavors in the higher build, the lower build is more like drinking from the bottle. I taste juice not flavored vapor. Gonna try the Hobo today with a twisted 32 dual build at around .6-.8. If I don't get my flavor back I will go back to 1ohmish single coils.

I run all my atties at about the same draw pressure, just enough resistance to be able do a MTL or LTL draw. My mods are mechanical, Tanks on a tube mech, BF drippers on a cReo.

So far, I have not found more power, lower builds, to result in BETTER flavor, just more flavor. I got a feeling I'm going to need to go regulated to get BETTER flavor from more power. Because I know that some of those 1.5ohm builds, that were just not enough, Would have been if I could have boosted the mods output a few watts.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Absolutely! There are probably more +ohm vapers than subohm folks, when you think about how many eGo batteries are sold every year. Frankly, though, if you're going to build coils I personally believe you'll be better off with an RTA rather than a coil tank with a RBA deck. It's just easier to do.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Got a coil on the RSST now, it reads between 1.23 - 1.27 ohms, I say it's probably 1.25 ohms. I am presently back up to 7.5 watts. Still cranking clouds and enjoying lunger hits of unflavored base. :) That base has kind of surprised me. Hehe.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I build 2Ω coils personally...sometimes they come out even higher, like 2.3Ω. Suits me; saves the hell out of battery life. :confetti:

Andria

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got a coil on the RSST now, it reads between 1.23 - 1.27 ohms, I say it's probably 1.25 ohms. I am presently back up to 7.5 watts. Still cranking clouds and enjoying lunger hits of unflavored base. :) That base has kind of surprised me. Hehe.
for god sakes throw that rsst in the garbage and get a decent genny....LOL.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay! Congratulations on quitting smoking!! Being a Cigar Smoker you must be a cloud chaser!

upload_2016-4-6_20-5-22.png

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
for god sakes throw that rsst in the garbage and get a decent genny....LOL.

LOL I would but I be poor boy, it all I can afford. Besides she was Christmas present. That makes her "my most favorite little thing, I named her Vera." You happen to have any extra grenades by chance? I need some more.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL I would but I be poor boy, it all I can afford. Besides she was Christmas present. That makes her "my most favorite little thing, I named her Vera." You happen to have any extra grenades by chance? I need some more.
I hear you..I started out with an equally low budget .low performance genny ..the aga-t2....

I'm a newb lol I wanted to get away from my ego style batter and tank. Found a great deal on the Sigelei mini book 40w. Which is perfect for me. I like vaping around the 9-18w range. I'm not into blowing huge clouds. I prefer flavor. Also this Sigelei tank with .5 coil guzzles the juice lol I hope this is not a stupid question. But I have seen enough vids on how to rebuild the alantis style coils. Can I rebuild this .5 coil to a 1.2 -1-5 range? If so what do I need? Any advice would be so much appreciated :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm a newb lol I wanted to get away from my ego style batter and tank. Found a great deal on the Sigelei mini book 40w. Which is perfect for me. I like vaping around the 9-18w range. I'm not into blowing huge clouds. I prefer flavor. Also this Sigelei tank with .5 coil guzzles the juice lol I hope this is not a stupid question. But I have seen enough vids on how to rebuild the alantis style coils. Can I rebuild this .5 coil to a 1.2 -1-5 range? If so what do I need? Any advice would be so much appreciated :)
You can, watch some videos on youtube to get the visual idea of the "how to". If it were me, I'd be using Kanthal for the wire, 28 gauge or higher, your preference for wicking, wire snips, or nail clippers, an ohm reader, or the one on your mod to check the resistance, a small screwdriver, drill bit, or nail to wrap the wire around. I suppose you could use SS wire. I've never worked with it.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most coilheads can be rebuilt to any ohm rate you chose... try Google or youtube.. that doesn't mean you atomizer will still be a good vape. Some atty are just more suited to subohm or higher power vaping.
Oh .5 ohm can be a juice conserving as 2ohm if you build them both with same mass and surface areas. Of course this means the opposite is also true.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors