Become a Patron!

Does MTL with Sub Ohm Tank cause problems?

californialivin

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have used Blu Cigs for years and about a month ago I switched to a Nautalis Mini and 100% VG from Virgin Vapor. All was perfect for about a month! Last week (since I can't leave well enough alone) I decided to get an Aspire Triton 2 and use the 1.8 coil and continue to MTL (most of the time - because every 5th puff or so I DL) -- For some reason I started to get a real dry cough and tightness in my chest. It was annoying so I sort of pushed through, but now it is driving me crazy. I am constantly clearing my throat all day when I'm not vaping.

Could it be the sub ohm tank? I had ZERO issues with the Nautalis Mini and 1.8 ohm coil @ 4.8 Volts but feel like I have constant issues since changing tanks. I am going to stop for a few days and let it clear and then go back to the Nautilus -- but I would love to know why?!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

californialivin

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those tanks don't wick well on high vg juice brother
Okay. I had understood a dry hit to be a "burnt taste" is it something else? Could a dry hit cause chest congestion, phlegm in throat etc?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay. I had understood a dry hit to be a "burnt taste" is it something else? Could a dry hit cause chest congestion, phlegm in throat etc?

Maybe it's the tanks heating elements... Coil?
I will stop using it
Go back to ur normal use..

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

You certainly would know, when you experienced a dry hit. Something you'll never forget!

Are you keeping your body hydrated enough? Are you having any Allergies? If I remember correctly, it took me a bit, to get used to DL inhales. I was using 0.5 Ohm coils though, and did DL hits only. However, if you keep on having these problems, I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

californialivin

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You certainly would know, when you experienced a dry hit. Something you'll never forget!

Are you keeping your body hydrated enough? Are you having any Allergies? If I remember correctly, it took me a bit, to get used to DL inhales. I was using 0.5 Ohm coils though, and did DL hits only. However, if you keep on having these problems, I'd recommend seeing a doctor.
My plan is to take a few "days off" from the vape world and let everything clear up, then I'll go back to the Nautalis Mini. I know that I went through a LOT more juice with the sub tank then before so it could be the amount just bothered me. If I don't have any issues with the Nautalis I'll just assume it was the tank. Right now it is a similar feeling to when I stopped smoking and coughed up everything from years of smoking. Just didn't expect it ...

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its the 100% VG. VG is thicker and it takes your lungs longer to absorb. Thats why you feel like you have phlegm or full lungs. PG dries you out but VG hangs around a bit. 80/20 vg/pg is the highest I go but usually mix at 70/30 and it seems to be a happy medium for me. That said you went from a blu that is probably a mostly PG blend(if not 100% or close to it) to a full VG blend and also drastically increased your vapor production by simply having a device that does not suck:p While the jump is not as drastic the triton produces a fair bit more that the mini does.

I would switch your blend up personally and try between a 50/50 to 80/20 vg/pg ratio and then work back towards the 100% if thats your goal. The only real reason to go 100% VG is for cloud chasing or if you have a PG allergy. I think your tank is fine. I get the same way when I vape 100% VG.

As the others said you would know if it was a dry hit. The signs of a coil drying out is the flavor tapers off and the vapor while still being there just feels dry. Its hard to explain. Either way a 50/50 to 80-20 would help with that to as the juice will wick better.

Last edited:

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its the 100% VG. VG is thicker and it takes your lungs longer to absorb. Thats why you feel like you have phlegm or full lungs. PG dries you out but VG hangs around a bit. 80/20 vg/pg is the highest I go but usually mix at 70/30 and it seems to be a happy medium for me. That said you went from a blu that is probably a mostly PG blend(if not 100% or close to it) to a full VG blend and also drastically increased your vapor production by simply having a device that does not suck:p While the jump is not as drastic the triton produces a fair bit more that the mini does.

I would switch your blend up personally and try between a 50/50 to 80/20 vg/pg ratio and then work back towards the 100% if thats your goal. The only real reason to go 100% VG is for cloud chasing or if you have a PG allergy. I think your tank is fine. I get the same way when I vape 100% VG.

As the others said you would know if it was a dry hit. The signs of a coil drying out is the flavor tapers off and the vapor while still being there just feels dry. Its hard to explain. Either way a 50/50 to 80-20 would help with that to as the juice will wick better.
I was going to say the same, but he described it as a dry cough. I swapped back from 80%+ VG to a more balanced blend because I was having this issue, just felt like there was liquid in my lungs and I'd have to get a good cough to get it out. But, I wouldn't describe that as a dry cough at all.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya I think it will help either way. Better wicking if he is drying the coils and less VG for the full lung feel. It can also be done on the cheap with a 10 ml bottle to test on the cheap instead of reinvesting in another tank. I vape in a half MTL fashion meaning I start out MTL then finish direct and I have had lots of issues in the past with wicking high vg juices as well as the coated lung feel.

californialivin

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the input guys. I think it's probably a combination of all of the last few posts. I laid off for a couple days and all seems better. I also went back to the Nautalis Mini and so far seem to be doing fine. I can confirm that the flavor with the 100% VG is definitely better in the mini than the Triton, so I guess it's a win/win. I was FOR SURE using about 4ML more in the Triton then the Nautalis, so I probably just gave my lungs a little more VG than they could handle especially after coming from the PG heavy Blu. I appreciate the help.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
A subΩ tank is only a subΩ tank when using a resistance below 1Ω:grumpy:

I switched to the 1.8Ω Triton coils for my Atlantis and I am using the same amount of juice as I did using the Nautilus.

californialivin

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A subΩ tank is only a subΩ tank when using a resistance below 1Ω:grumpy:

I switched to the 1.8Ω Triton coils for my Atlantis and I am using the same amount of juice as I did using the Nautilus.
Point taken - I meant I was vaping more not burning more and that likely bothered my lungs.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well keep in mind to 100% VG as I said is much harder to wick in most tanks unless its designed for that purpose. It could be that the thick juice was just choking the coil and at the end you were starting to get a dry hit(which can in fact lead to irritated throat). The funny thing about that is you still get lots of vapor initially when it starts to dry out so sometimes you dont notice it because its the end of the drag so you dont notice the flavor tail off and the dryness start to kick in.

I use a Boreas which is a pretty advanced tank made for giant coils and lots of wattage but I still dont use 100% vg because I am not a 100% lung hit vapor like some are. I start out mouth to lung then go into the lung hit because I think the flavor is better for me personally but the down side of vaping like that is your not full on hitting the tank so A. the massive airflow is not cooling the coil as designed and B. that suction is not pulling as much juice into the coil which both can lead to more heat and the coil starting to dry out. Compound that with the fullness my lungs get with full VG and it can be uncomfortable.

80-20 to 70-30 vg/pg seems to be my sweet spot and I think that little amount of pg also helps with flavor as VG can mute flavor compared to PG. So I wouldnt give up on the triton just yet but either way glad you are getting it figured out.

VapeForHealth88

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My wife uses a Kanger Subtank Mini to do MTL. The only problem she has come across with this is that the tank/drip tip can get a little hot. I build her RBA deck for her, so the problem was easily solved with a thinner kanthal, as to not hold as much residual heat.

VU Sponsors