Become a Patron!

Dropped my Crown v1, read 'no atomizer', the fix was....wrapping kanthal on the cartridge's base?!?

iHoldMyCrown1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As title says, I dropped my tank yesterday, wasn't a bad drop but it gave me 'no atomizer', so when I got home my first thing was to open it up and check my terminal screws (I use the RBA cartridge), surely that's all that could've happened to make it read 'no atomizer' when the unit wasn't hit hard enough to break or bend it, right? Well, the terminal screws and coil were still in place, so I was real confused - I grabbed an old, disposable uwell cartridge, to see if that'd register. Not only did it not register with the old disposable cartridge, but oddly enough I found it very hard to screw the cartridge in...I don't know if there's anything to be gleaned from that, as I've never personally installed that disposable before myself, it was in the tank when I got it from someone (and I just tossed the tank aside until I'd gotten my RBA, so that disposable was promptly removed and tossed in my parts box)

So, I'd tried it on other mods to be sure, and still no reading from either of the cartridges - didn't make any sense to me, I kept staring at it and the only spot I couldn't really be positive was connecting was the bottom of the cartridge, and the top of the 510 pin in the base of the uwell where it touches, so I took some 26g or 28g kanthal, did 5 tight wraps around the bottom of my cartridge to give it an extra ~0.5-1mm length, and sure enough this worked!!

It's been almost a day and hasn't had any problems, this includes me having removed the cartridge from the deck, this was the fix - I'm posting this thread because I'm utterly confused at how this could be possible, how could my cartridges' bottoms no longer reach the 510 after a mild-ish drop? I mean, the threading on these are very fine, for the cartridge to not touch the bottom there'd have to be serious mangling of the deck//cartridge interface (which is protected within the tank), but there was none visible everything looked fine, in fact I couldn't even find the mark on my tank where it made contact with the ground! So, how is it possible this could have happened? How could a drop have made it so that the tank's components still all screw together fine, look fine, yet the cartridge is now sitting 1mm higher in the deck? (I mentioned the disposable was kind of difficult to screw-in, like I had to put pressure on it to get the threads to engage - this *was not* the case with my RBA cartridge, it's going in&out just fine like it always has!)

Thanks for any answers, thoughts or wild speculation!! I've got accounts elsewhere but this is the only place I expect any chance of getting a useful interpretation of what could've happened!!!

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The 510 pin in the base just "floats"
The drop probably caused the pin to lose contact.
I usually press the base and 510 pin, on the table, as I screw in the RBA.
You can feel when/if the pin makes contact with the RBA.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you think it's a good idea to run a coil inside you 510 connection.. in addition to the one in you atty....
I guess... make sure the combined ohm rate isn't a risk for your battery. ..

This doesn't sound smart at all... if you insist on running this way please replace the kanthal with NON resistance wire.

Better yet fix your mod.........

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors