Become a Patron!

Dual 18650 (parallel ) safe?

This is my first time posting and my first time attempting to build my own box mod. I wanted to know if wiring two 18650 batteries in series is safe and if I should use a mosfet for the switch. If I'm right in my calculations I can hit over 150 watts. But I don't want to blow my face up in the process. If anyone could shed some light on this is be very grateful.

Also wiring is not my thing and circuits kinda confuse me about where to put them. My parts will be here at the end of the week and I like to be prepared to get started asap so if anyone could draw me a schematic I would surely appreciate it. I want to wire in a led, a voltage meter and an on off switch.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Fenrjsulfr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Use a MOSFET. Safely using an unregulated box mod without one will severely limit your power (wattage) options.

A series configuration can be safe if you know what you are doing. Running in series doubles your voltage, but keeps the same mAh and Amp limitations of an individual cell. You would have an operating voltage range of 8.4-7.0v (low end will depend on Amp load and batteries' safe discharge voltage).

A parallel configuration keeps the voltage of an individual cell, but doubles the mAh. In theory, it should double the Amp limit, but in practice it will be closer to a 40% increase. So in paralleling 30A batteries, you can expect a working limit of 42A.

You mention calculating for 150w, but don't say which method you planned on using. Amperage is based on resting voltage, wattage based on voltage drop under load. I only have graphs up to 20A, so I'll base this explanation on that. A fully charged battery reads ~4.2v. At 20A, the voltage under load is about 3.4v. So we'll do some math. You build a 0.21ohm coil and fire it on a fully charged battery. 4.2(resting voltage)/0.21(resistance)=20(Amps). 3.4(voltage under load)squared=11.56 11.56/.21(resistance)=55.05(watts).

Extrapolating:

The higher the Amperage, the greater the voltage drop under load. In a parallel configuration, you'll have a 42A working limit. 4.2(resting voltage)/42(Amps)=0.1(ohms). I don't have discharge graphs for 42A, but I'm going to assume the voltage under load to be around 3.0v. 3.0(voltage under load)squared=9 9/0.1(resistance)=90(watts).

In a series configuration, you'll have a 30A working limit. 8.4(resting voltage)/30(Amps)=0.28(ohms). I don't have discharge graphs for 30A in a series configuration. I usually experience around 1.2v drop at 17A, so I'll assume 1.8v drop at 30A. 6.6(voltage under load)squared=43.56 43.56/0.28(resistance)=155.57(watts).

In both cases of course, the wattage will drop as the resting voltage drops.

If this isn't how you calculated (and most people seem not to), then determine your current wattage output, and decide what your target wattage should be. Highest I've run was 144w on a regulated device. Even with straight VG it is a harsh vape. The people who tried it stopped after 4-6 hits. I regularly vape at 85-90w regulated, and can vape 144w fairly easily, but I really don't enjoy it much.

Last edited:
I actually found a facebook page that gave me all the info I need to built my box.. And now it's done. Im using 30a batteries with a mosfet. Right now I'm running a .11 dual coil and it is a pretty hot vape. Thanks for you reply.. I totally messed up and out parallel instead of series in the title lol.. My bad

Fenrjsulfr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So are you running in series? 8.4v into .11ohms draws over 76A. My MOSFETs are rated for 75A, and although my HE2s are factory stress tested for up to 42A, I don't recall the Sony datasheets testing over 30A.

I ended up just doing a parallel build. Better battery life was more alluring ... So my output before load should be with a fresh battery should be around 124 watts right?

Fenrjsulfr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm looking into making a device to measure the amperage and wattage in real time, but will probably be at least a few weeks before I order parts, assuming I can finalize a design I think will work. My estimate would be between 82-93watts, depending on voltage drop. Again, I haven't found discharge graphs for over 20A, but my best guess would be a working voltage of 3.0-3.2v on fresh batteries.

I'll post a link to the 20A graph. The top peaks are resting voltage, the dips are voltage under 20A load. The load is applied for 10 seconds, with a 30 second rest between. As you can see, the voltage quickly drops to ~3.6v and levels at ~3.4v.

http://dampfakkus.de/highamps/523-vs lg samsung.png

Last edited:

VU Sponsors