Become a Patron!

Dual Parallel Coil builds?

ReyesRec89

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys so I'm struggling a little bit with this ohms law calculator. I'm using a parallel mech mod and I know my amps with two vtc5a..two batteries at 25 amps gets cut in half to 12.5 amps, but when working the calculator do I put in 25 for one battery or 12.5 for the total? Kinda feel like maybe I can't trust this Vape Tool app. but I'm pretty much sure I shouldn't go below .12 maybe with some lg's but for now .12 is as low as I'll go with this mech.
65d85b5721f2c0880edb0340ffa461d7.jpg
cacf7f3a1640034f7be92d8ca9f97076.jpg

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know that Mod but if the batteries are in series their Amperage capacity is the same as a single cell. If the batteries are in parallel then you have basically double the Amperage capacity. I would not use 25A as the battery capacity unless it's been tested by Mooch to be able to withstand 25A constant current. I believe in keeping a margin for safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Parallel - Add up the Amperage of all the batteries then - 18% - 20% but you share the voltage. So VTC5A's you're good for around 40a. The 18-20% is taken off for safety reasons.

Series - You add up the voltage of all the batteries but you share the Amperage.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I was thinking series you add volts of both cells parallel you share the same amperage but add a little for being two cells. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I was thinking series you add volts of both cells parallel you share the same amperage but add a little for being two cells. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Vape tool is all I use. It's a little off on twisted coils if you can't get the pitch right but it's pretty spot on all other builds I've done.when I use it for parallel I just put in the 4.2 for the volts and the resistance. Get your amperage and add a little since it's two cells. Good to go

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

2 batteries in series doubles the battery voltage but keeps the max current = to what a single battery can carry. 25A in this case.
2 batteries in parallel keeps the voltage at a single battery voltage but doubles the current.
However as pointed out one derates the current 15-20% in case one battery has a bad connection or something.
Also in both cases you should only use paired batteries of = age and model.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

As I posted above

Parallel - Add up the Amperage of all the batteries then - 18% - 20% but you share the voltage. So VTC5A's you're good for around 40a. The 18-20% is taken off for safety reasons.
Series - You add up the voltage of all the batteries but you share the Amperage.

ReyesRec89

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't know that Mod but if the batteries are in series their Amperage capacity is the same as a single cell. If the batteries are in parallel then you have basically double the Amperage capacity. I would not use 25A as the battery capacity unless it's been tested by Mooch to be able to withstand 25A constant current. I believe in keeping a margin for safety.

It's the DripTech-DS by 528 Custom, they came out with them about a week ago.
It is a dual 18650 parrallel squonk mech mod, and the batteries I'm using are VTC5a by Sony they were on Mooch's list last time I checked.

ReyesRec89

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape tool is all I use. It's a little off on twisted coils if you can't get the pitch right but it's pretty spot on all other builds I've done.when I use it for parallel I just put in the 4.2 for the volts and the resistance. Get your amperage and add a little since it's two cells. Good to go

yeah sometimes I feel like I can't figure it out then realized with the ohm calculator it says input only two values. That's what I get for not reading hahaa

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's the DripTech-DS by 528 Custom, they came out with them about a week ago.
It is a dual 18650 parrallel squonk mech mod, and the batteries I'm using are VTC5a by Sony they were on Mooch's list last time I checked.

I just looked... they are a true 25A CDR cell! From his write up I think you would be good in figuring 40A and 3.7V. Doing the math and checking it I personally would NOT go below a 0.10 Ohm build to maintain a proper safety margin. So, with you proposing a 0.12 Ohm build would give you more margin.

Last edited:

ReyesRec89

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
2 batteries in series doubles the battery voltage but keeps the max current = to what a single battery can carry. 25A in this case.
2 batteries in parallel keeps the voltage at a single battery voltage but doubles the current.
However as pointed out one derates the current 15-20% in case one battery has a bad connection or something.
Also in both cases you should only use paired batteries of = age and model.
yeah it's parrallel and my batteries have been married for a while now. I'm going to probably get a series mech last I would want a set of Hb6, some 30 amps Batts for that, next maybe a tube mech . Figure the Parrallel was the way to go for my first mech mod. It's definitely way better than either my rx200, or g priv. like the hard hit from the mech just destroys my regulated mods. Kind of feels like having an automatic next to stick shift I feel like I have more control over my build with the mech. Right now I have the ohms at between 0.13 - 0.14 on a 24 awg, dual 5 wrap Kanthal build. I don't have an ohm reader and went through two cm 521 garbage tabs already so I just use both my regulated devices as ohm readers for now. got some 24 and 26 316l on the way though, can't wait.
a11328249f380e8d9b46725da4338f0c.jpg
4c7855627f7d8202c8c9c3234dfd1e07.jpg
4cdeebb1a61cc0bf3cc51a9495f64743.jpg

VU Sponsors