Become a Patron!

E-cig explodes.... Again

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
atlantis in a hybrid mech.
Fuck with darwin come close to getting an award.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The authentic 4nine does not vent once you have a battery inside, and now you can get the clone version with the same non venting design for less than $15... Clouds bro!

Speaking of which, this has happened here in Hawaii at a shopping center too, buddy who saw it told me he thought at first some kid put a ground bloom flower firework in a soda can, but turned out it was a venting mod (didn't explode though, just hissed and spun around in circles)

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here's a pic taken of him holding his next disaster. Obviously, he learned nothing. Musta been a bad battery...duh.
nl0szo-b88354795z.120150310165008000gpp8etjl.10.jpg

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I wanna know what batts he was using lol... Is that an Atlantis tank that actually survived?

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/28338947/man-injured-bed-catches-fire-after-e-cigarette-explodes
As was said, definitely a 4Nine, and the yellow battery appears to be an LG HE4, which is fine for an Atlantis, though there appears to be red battery wrapping that was from the vented battery, I assume. That LG doesn't look like it caused a mod to find a home in the ceiling. That red wrap looks like nothing I've seen before.

I love my 4Nine, but I almost cringe when I'm watching Mod Envy and one gets given away. If that's someone's first mech, bad news. It's already been said, there's no venting, the holes in the top cap are to assist in unscrewing it. It's an awesome mod if you respect it and understand it, but ripe for disaster if not. Definitely should have venting, too. This shit is such easy fuel to the fire to use against vaping.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Geeez how many times do I have to see this story, sometimes we are just as bad at fueling the flames starting one thread after another about it. The guy wants to be a drama queen and blow his face off, so be it. He had his 15 minutes.

Last edited:

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I call bullshit on the flying across the room and embedding in the wall. There's no way the battery vented THROUGH the atlantis with enough force to propel it at that angle into the wall/ceiling. This media is looking for sensationalism and this dumbass decided to set it up for them.
6958131_G.jpg

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a 4nine so Im curious how this could happen?

Does the battery vent/explode that fast when firing, as it touches the pin?

It also wouldnt surprise me if his magnets werent installed properly, on the switch.

Unfortunately, Tarsius/4nine will get slammed. I hope that doesnt happen. It looks like he wasnt using proper batteries

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The 510 in the Atlantis heats up and collapses, creating a short, heating the switch, destroying the magnets. The switch collapses to full autofire into a short, the battery starts venting and fails completely.

DO NOT USE ATTIES WITH SPRING LOADED 510s ON HYBRID MODS.

Eventually, you might not get away with it.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have a 4nine so Im curious how this could happen?

Does the battery vent/explode that fast when firing, as it touches the pin?

It also wouldnt surprise me if his magnets werent installed properly, on the switch.

Unfortunately, Tarsius/4nine will get slammed. I hope that doesnt happen. It looks like he wasnt using proper batteries
I've never had a battery vent, so I don't know how long it takes. Depending upon the reason for it venting, I'm sure it varies. If you're paying attention and being wise, a faulty battery would probably be you're only reason for venting to occur, and I think you'd be able to unscrew the switch, or tube on the 4Nine and get away from the battery. There are many ways to vent a battery, though. A hard short might be a quick way to vent, I'm sure someone here has the unfortunate experience.

If you have a 4nine, look over it and you'll see it has no venting at all. The two holes in the top cap are for aid in unscrewing it, when an atty is attached, they don't function as vents, and the hole in the switch has glue to hold the magnet. It's hybrid connection makes it a mod that requires attention to be paid to what atty you use more than others. If the 510 doesn't protrude far enough from the threading and you make contact with the pin and the threading, you have a short. Also, I think all clones, and all newer authentics should have a delrin insulator on the inside of the top cap, but the original authentics did not. Flat top batteries and no delrin is not good, either.

I love my 4Nine, but I have a few attys I won't use with it, and my VTC5's auto fire everything, so I use LG's with it. I've never used an Atlantis, but what @Hartoled said is smart advice. I wouldn't dare put a spring loaded 510 pin atty on it.

If you want to have venting, a dremel and some grinding on the top cap from the holes to the edge will help. Again, great mod, but one you need to pay attention to, and preferably have some experience. I respect all my mechs, especially the 4Nine.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I call bullshit on the flying across the room and embedding in the wall. There's no way the battery vented THROUGH the atlantis with enough force to propel it at that angle into the wall/ceiling. This media is looking for sensationalism and this dumbass decided to set it up for them.
View attachment 16662
The force needed to propel a filled tank and embed it into the wall does not jive with the facts. For the atty to have that much velocity, the mod would have literally had to act as a shotgun shell, that guys hand would be prime grade A hamburger if that really happened. I smell Bovine Excrement.

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Now a guy in Arlington Texas is suing Vixen Vapors for one million dollars for selling him an Efest 18350 700mah, that vented while he carried it loose in his pocket last Summer. His lawyer obviously saw this story and reached out to the CBS affiliate in Fort Worth to beef up his case. Of course, that "victim" is no more sympathetic to us than the former mall kiosk e-cigalike seller in this story, knowing the dangers.

When we see somebody doing something stupid, or suggesting it online, it might not be good to just wait for them to get a Darwin Award. It might be better to speak about the hazards than to let these Brain Trust escapees, continue to blight us all. IMO Of course, trolls will use that against you, from time to time, but somebody who needs to know might be listening.

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Geeez how many times do I have to see this story, sometimes we are just as bad at fueling the flames starting one thread after another about it. The guy wants to be a drama queen and blow his face off, so be it. He had his 15 minutes.

My bad... I guess I wasn't thinkin about the consequences for us when I posted. Please delete if you feel it's better for the community As a whole ....

View attachment 16662
Well put. It's not like vaporized are the only device those batteries are used for. Vaporized just seen like in a "bugs bunny physics" world to be able to rocket into a wall

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've never had a battery vent, so I don't know how long it takes. Depending upon the reason for it venting, I'm sure it varies. If you're paying attention and being wise, a faulty battery would probably be you're only reason for venting to occur, and I think you'd be able to unscrew the switch, or tube on the 4Nine and get away from the battery. There are many ways to vent a battery, though. A hard short might be a quick way to vent, I'm sure someone here has the unfortunate experience.

If you have a 4nine, look over it and you'll see it has no venting at all. The two holes in the top cap are for aid in unscrewing it, when an atty is attached, they don't function as vents, and the hole in the switch has glue to hold the magnet. It's hybrid connection makes it a mod that requires attention to be paid to what atty you use more than others. If the 510 doesn't protrude far enough from the threading and you make contact with the pin and the threading, you have a short. Also, I think all clones, and all newer authentics should have a delrin insulator on the inside of the top cap, but the original authentics did not. Flat top batteries and no delrin is not good, either.

I love my 4Nine, but I have a few attys I won't use with it, and my VTC5's auto fire everything, so I use LG's with it. I've never used an Atlantis, but what @Hartoled said is smart advice. I wouldn't dare put a spring loaded 510 pin atty on it.

If you want to have venting, a dremel and some grinding on the top cap from the holes to the edge will help. Again, great mod, but one you need to pay attention to, and preferably have some experience. I respect all my mechs, especially the 4Nine.

Great post. I strictly use a tobh V2 and feel plenty safe with it. That along with the 4nine is my ADV mod, so it gets regular checkups.

I know the 4nine has had issues in the past because either the buyer or person at the local BnM was installing the magnets on the switch the wrong way. In my case it was the latter. I finally, after a few weeks of shorting and hot button issues, found out how the magnets were supposed to be installed. I brought it to my BnM because I couldnt get the magnet out of the switch itself. When I told them the deal with the magnets and how they are supposed to be installed the dude looked at me with an Uh Oh look, like how many have we sold with improperly installed magnets.
Anyways, I guess I was the one who taught them something that day. But it makes you wonder what some people are carrying around in their hands...

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Great post. I strictly use a tobh V2 and feel plenty safe with it. That along with the 4nine is my ADV mod, so it gets regular checkups.

I know the 4nine has had issues in the past because either the buyer or person at the local BnM was installing the magnets on the switch the wrong way. In my case it was the latter. I finally, after a few weeks of shorting and hot button issues, found out how the magnets were supposed to be installed. I brought it to my BnM because I couldnt get the magnet out of the switch itself. When I told them the deal with the magnets and how they are supposed to be installed the dude looked at me with an Uh Oh look, like how many have we sold with improperly installed magnets.
Anyways, I guess I was the one who taught them something that day. But it makes you wonder what some people are carrying around in their hands...
Hopefully you helped out others in the future. I've had numerous wtf experiences at B&Ms that have left me concerned regarding what they are sending people home with, both false knowledge, and improper setups to accompany it. I'm far from an expert, but I had a healthy fear of rebuildables, and the same when I got into mechs. Now that fear is respect, and it's needed to play safe.

I don't think a discussion on VU is a big deal regarding this stuff, if one person learns something, then it's positive. Wether the story is sensationalized bs or not doesn't matter in that regard. Most anything on television news falls in the sensationalized category no matter the subject. I know the government in there lunacy announced a budget to read Facebook, and presumably sites like this in their vaping war, if I remember correctly. If so, they already know about this crap. Fuck that guy, and hopefully somebody learns something constructive.

I'm back to vaping some Vanilla Custard on my copper 4Nine clone with a .45 build on a Mutation X. My 510 pin is safely setup, I know my amp draw, and my battery is well within it's capabilities. I wouldn't have known any of that if I didn't take the time to benefit from the resources afforded to me on sites like this.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hopefully you helped out others in the future. I've had numerous wtf experiences at B&Ms that have left me concerned regarding what they are sending people home with, both false knowledge, and improper setups to accompany it. I'm far from an expert, but I had a healthy fear of rebuildables, and the same when I got into mechs. Now that fear is respect, and it's needed to play safe.

I don't think a discussion on VU is a big deal regarding this stuff, if one person learns something, then it's positive. Wether the story is sensationalized bs or not doesn't matter in that regard. Most anything on television news falls in the sensationalized category no matter the subject. I know the government in there lunacy announced a budget to read Facebook, and presumably sites like this in their vaping war, if I remember correctly. If so, they already know about this crap. Fuck that guy, and hopefully somebody learns something constructive.

I'm back to vaping some Vanilla Custard on my copper 4Nine clone with a .45 build on a Mutation X. My 510 pin is safely setup, I know my amp draw, and my battery is well within it's capabilities. I wouldn't have known any of that if I didn't take the time to benefit from the resources afforded to me on sites like this.

Yea, I dont act like I know it either, in fact its quite the opposite. I sometimes go over to my BnM just to see whats up and talk about vaping in general. I find I learn more that way as opposed to when they are trying to sell me something, lol. I typically research the heck out of anything vape related since my switch mishap, so they better be on point or Im calling them out. I dont want to make them seem bad either, they are good guys and have helped a ton.

Having to be over 18 is a good start but I sometimes wonder if ther should be some kind of posting with a warning inside each BnM. Warning about battery safety, Ohms Law etc...I guess that will come in time when The Man steps in....

Enjoy your vape. I got some Sho Nuff by Vapergate (orange cream) going in the Tobh. 24g 6 wrap. Good stuff...

Rayne

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Let's look at the bright side here... His new mod is vented now!

But yeah, putting a tank on a mod with direct battery contact is a bad idea. Since every tank I've sold, and every one I've seen, has the positive contact almost completely flush with the threads, it's a horrible idea to do that. I had to avoid putting my VCT on my SMPL mod for this exact reason.

There's a reason I'm super picky with the atomisers I pair up with direct battery contact mods.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The fact that this story is everywhere is b.s. I talked to a woman coming out of a smoking cessation proram, still unable to quit. When I showed her my setup, she asked me if I had seen the neews on exploding batteries. I told her that cell phones explode, too. She quickly walked away with her phone attached to her head. :(

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
From what I've seen on most of these explosions is mechs that people don't know how to use properly or buy 40v trustfire batteries. Although a few regulated boxes have had issues too with just poor quality, smok groove cloupor mini, etc. This topic has been discussed numerous times here and the consensus I've seen is that we all need to help educate people so they don't hurt themselves, and steer people away from knock off clone shit batteries, which I'm sure is most of the problem. I bought a cheapo 18650 for a flashlight, however, I would never put something like that in a mechanical.

VU Sponsors