JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, just ordered Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies , which I told my husband was my tip for making his favorite meal tonight -- swimming steak (salmon) with garlic-mushroom brown rice risotto and garlic bread. Actually we finally got the $200 rewards card from AT&T for signing up with them for the whole works -- direcTV, internet, phone. So I can also order some Shisha Strawberry, and some more DX Bavarian and Vanilla Swirl from TPA/TFA.

:)
Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Right now I'm pondering weather or not I could use some bits of code to create a Linux native ejuice calculator, possibly even coil wrap calculator, battery drain application.

At one time I had E Juice me up running in Wine but it was a bitch from hell. If you ever felt like trying to make it work in Play on Linux I bet a bunch of linux vaporers would be happy.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Andria gonna get snow?

That's what they say. My own experience suggests that when they holler and warn and start making noises about "bread and milk!", we might get about a half inch. If they say, nah, it'll blow over, no accumulation... we'll get 6-12 inches.

But hey, why not go with the flow...

:giggle:
Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm in the interesting position of being a southerner by birth and current residence, who lived up north long enough (and also visited Milwaukee and Denver in the wintertime) to know what real snow is like, and what we get, mostly, usually, ain't it. However I also understand that any snow and/or ice without infrastructure to deal with it is a nightmare, and folks really should just stay home; it will likely save them a long cold wait or walk, and possibly even a wrecker/towing bill, and worst case, even an emergency room bill.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
MMM, after having to learn COBOL for my programming degree, I can't imagine anyone deliberately wanting to learn it. Java, Perl, VB, C++, etc are much more fun!!

Well yes I desire learning it. A market for Cobol programs is strong. Yes, do want to learn. That aside, .... please do feel free to shoot me in the little left toe. Read more of the text, instructional book today. Good thing I do not have a brain. :) Reading it is very dry, and well beyond mind numbing.

Did learn a slight mantra. *chuckles* People, documentation, data, software, hardware are aspects of computer programming, the means of processing data into information and yes there is a difference between data and info. I am proud of learning that, and it only presents itself to me as a bit of a slight, "ah ha!" I either hard learned that once, or had a general knowledge of it but it had not quite 'sank in' as it did now. a clicked switch. :)

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Have you looked in to programming jobs? Most pay very well. I just do the SQL stuff now. Here's a snippet. It's making my brain hurt. lol
I've let all my certs go by the wayside. Used to have A+, Dell, MSCE, and of course I'm a certifiable nutcase. hehehehe
View attachment 70755

Hurm, looks as though it sorts the data by typed out classes based upon numeric coding, which seems a bit random salted by the data itself. Kind of seems an odd way to do it if you could set up a random salting constant ... hm, ... but then that would be a class too to be typed as the data. Whoa, logic bomb, duck for cover. * remaining gray matter asplodes *

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yep. what do I care about my throat?

"You should." *grins*

You might need to look some more recent movies, as in the lat few years or so, to understand that reference. I think the actor who did the line is kind of a cutey despite my wife saying I've really odd tastes. Of course me and her kind of fight over this one insurance company spokesperson who speaks so clearly, so deeply. We don't care what he wants we both say "here take my money, give me six of whatever it is, just keep talking."

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Have you considered learning Swift? There's a lot of free tutorials out there for it. Also, not sure if you checked this site or not, but Lynda.com has a free trial period and gobs of info.

Not looked closely into Swift, ... yet. I see from topical looking over the course summaries on the Lynda site, it deals a bit with IOS, which if I'm finking korrekt is like erm Apple software. I have not used any Apple software beyond way back when it had the graphical bomb didjerydo what I so enjoyed causing to remain locked on screen. Um, think was Apple II E or some such under a very Basic, BASIC. I coded up a program that used azt commands to manipulate the newest toy back then, a moem, and then to connect to something which seemed like outer space and called DARPA net for about fifteen minutes. Had an old gray bearded foggy need to call ahead and get permissions. It was really neat, i was some wee 13 year old kid holding up adults, government even he said. "look, i can do tis neat stuff after looking over some coding stuff for about an hour, it weren't in the stuff I looked at but I puzzled it out, niffty huh?'

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My apologies being up so late of a night/ early of a morn. The back decided to wake me up. Seemingly no choice but to take a tramadol for the pain. I am despising being such an accursed wuss. Although I think some nurses got ticked at me for not being more of one. They asked me pain level, I said three. The one nurse caught on that what ten other people would have called eight or higher, I called three. My wife still jokingly tells me "oh, you're such a girl." Right, and masochists don't love sadists. ;) :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, just ordered Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies , which I told my husband was my tip for making his favorite meal tonight -- swimming steak (salmon) with garlic-mushroom brown rice risotto and garlic bread. Actually we finally got the $200 rewards card from AT&T for signing up with them for the whole works -- direcTV, internet, phone. So I can also order some Shisha Strawberry, and some more DX Bavarian and Vanilla Swirl from TPA/TFA.

:)
Andria

Hehe. AT&T kindly brought to you by the National Signals Agency, No Such Agency, National Security Agency, No Secrets Allowed. :)&:wave: to a systems analyst locked away somewhere in the sub-sub basement of a faculty in compound near Maryland but still in Northern Virginia, while obscuring view of his one time pad.

In some way, might want to learn Java, in other ways I'm kind of put off a little bit with object oriented stuff. Yes I realize Cobol is that as well once you get into the nuts and bolts of it. C, C++, C#, Java though for me seemed a bit well, broken. I could not write up a function to do parallel operations due in part to not being able to class an array as a pointer object. Yes, I tried it and yes I asked quite a few if it could be done, if so how. No one ever demonstrated how to, or demonstrated it could not be done they just nudged me aside saying it was such an impossibility as to not merit solving. I thought having a list of URI capable of being classed as different pointers would be quite useful, call up two or more classes of URI in a browser object/application at once and have the function on one another. *nodding* kind of like piping in Linux/Unix but a bit different too.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
At one time I had E Juice me up running in Wine but it was a bitch from hell. If you ever felt like trying to make it work in Play on Linux I bet a bunch of linux vaporers would be happy.

Yeah, I got rather irked over it having to need Wine. "I'm fookin running Linux so I don't run Windows but I got to run Windows in Linux to just do a few different yet related functions? WTF? Bonks that!" I could not get Wine to function properly either, wound up having to use a virtual machine sand boxed Windows XP under VMware.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's what they say. My own experience suggests that when they holler and warn and start making noises about "bread and milk!", we might get about a half inch. If they say, nah, it'll blow over, no accumulation... we'll get 6-12 inches.

But hey, why not go with the flow...

:giggle:
Andria
I just LOVE Frankie MacDonald's advice.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hurm, looks as though it sorts the data by typed out classes based upon numeric coding, which seems a bit random salted by the data itself. Kind of seems an odd way to do it if you could set up a random salting constant ... hm, ... but then that would be a class too to be typed as the data. Whoa, logic bomb, duck for cover. * remaining gray matter asplodes *
Yea, the way this table was set up through the GUI is wack. So, this was unfortunately the best way to get high speed data collection without hard coding it. Sometimes you have to make odd decisions when creating scripts.:D We have impatient customers.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hehe. AT&T kindly brought to you by the National Signals Agency, No Such Agency, National Security Agency, No Secrets Allowed. :)&:wave: to a systems analyst locked away somewhere in the sub-sub basement of a faculty in compound near Maryland but still in Northern Virginia, while obscuring view of his one time pad.

In some way, might want to learn Java, in other ways I'm kind of put off a little bit with object oriented stuff. Yes I realize Cobol is that as well once you get into the nuts and bolts of it. C, C++, C#, Java though for me seemed a bit well, broken. I could not write up a function to do parallel operations due in part to not being able to class an array as a pointer object. Yes, I tried it and yes I asked quite a few if it could be done, if so how. No one ever demonstrated how to, or demonstrated it could not be done they just nudged me aside saying it was such an impossibility as to not merit solving. I thought having a list of URI capable of being classed as different pointers would be quite useful, call up two or more classes of URI in a browser object/application at once and have the function on one another. *nodding* kind of like piping in Linux/Unix but a bit different too.

I really don't have any secrets to speak of. None that they'd be interested in.

As for programming... all greek to me. Might as well be. But I did order that book, so maybe it'll start looking more like a language in Roman characters rather than squiggles that mean nothing, like greek or cyrillic or the far eastern squiggles. I've seen so much of the latter around here, I can now tell if I'm looking at korean rather than any others; korean squiggles look almost geometric.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ANCHORAGE AK

432 AM AKST THU JAN 5 2017

AKZ131-060245-

/O.EXT.PAFC.HW.W.0001.170106T0300Z-170107T1500Z/

NORTHEAST PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...VALDEZ...THOMPSON PASS

...HIGH WIND WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM

AKST SATURDAY...

* LOCATION...THOMPSON PASS DOWN TO VALDEZ.

* WIND...NORTH TO EAST 50 TO 70 MPH WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS 95 MPH.

* TIMING...WINDS WILL RAPIDLY STRENGTHEN THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH

EVENING WITH THE STRONGEST WINDS THROUGH THOMPSON PASS. WINDS

WILL PEAK LATE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON THEN GRADUALLY

DIMINISH FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL MAY BE DIFFICULT. TREES MAY BE BLOWN OVER.

LOOSE DEBRIS CAN BE MOVED AND DAMAGE PROPERTY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED

OR OCCURRING. PEOPLE ARE URGED TO SECURE LOOSE OBJECTS THAT COULD

BE BLOWN AROUND OR DAMAGED BY THE WIND.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here's what's heading our way:

weathermap-storm.jpg

I dunno, looks to me like the snow might stay to the north, and all we get is some rain and some "wintry mix", but they say tonight it's all turning to snow, so we'll just have to see.

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We're getting 8+ inches of snow plus the cold. Overnight Saturday into Sunday is 9 degrees. Overnight Sunday into Monday is 0 to-1. I know this is nothing compared to where Lucy is or even those in the northern area but this is extreme cold for us. I'm ready for summer!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We're getting 8+ inches of snow plus the cold. Overnight Saturday into Sunday is 9 degrees. Overnight Sunday into Monday is 0 to-1. I know this is nothing compared to where Lucy is or even those in the northern area but this is extreme cold for us. I'm ready for summer!

Brr, that's rough! It's only supposed to fall here to the low 20s, which is bad enough for the roads if any white stuff does stick around. Fortunately, by Tuesday it's supposed to warm up into the 50s and a low in the 40s, so even if it does stick around, it won't for long. :) :) :)

Georgians and Carolinians... better get your bread and milk! :giggle:

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's no bread or milk to be found in any of the stores here in my town. I went out earlier to get gas and the second busiest store in town was the liquor store. There was a steady stream in and out of that place. Lol I'm glad I didn't need to stop. :)

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's what's heading our way:

View attachment 70820

I dunno, looks to me like the snow might stay to the north, and all we get is some rain and some "wintry mix", but they say tonight it's all turning to snow, so we'll just have to see.

Andria
See in the pink area that says Roanoke? that's fucking me.... Wet crap falling from the fucking sky.... Rainy sleety shit... ugh. :blech:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, the wintry mix has begun. I know some of it is rain, the road is starting to darken, but some is sleet, too; I hear the "tick - tick - tick" on the bushes. Oh joy. :facepalm:

I'm thinking Atlantans need to be on the road home, because by 5pm, it's gonna be NASTY.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ANCHORAGE AK

AKZ131-060245-

/O.EXT.PAFC.HW.W.0001.170106T0300Z-170107T1500Z/

NORTHEAST PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...VALDEZ...THOMPSON PASS

...HIGH WIND WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM

AKST SATURDAY...

* LOCATION...THOMPSON PASS DOWN TO VALDEZ.

* WIND...NORTH TO EAST 50 TO 70 MPH WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS 95 MPH.

* TIMING...WINDS WILL RAPIDLY STRENGTHEN THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH

EVENING WITH THE STRONGEST WINDS THROUGH THOMPSON PASS. WINDS

WILL PEAK LATE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON THEN GRADUALLY

DIMINISH FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL MAY BE DIFFICULT. TREES MAY BE BLOWN OVER.

LOOSE DEBRIS CAN BE MOVED AND DAMAGE PROPERTY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED

OR OCCURRING. PEOPLE ARE URGED TO SECURE LOOSE OBJECTS THAT COULD

BE BLOWN AROUND OR DAMAGED BY THE WIND.
Wow Lucy be careful!!!

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Brr, that's rough! It's only supposed to fall here to the low 20s, which is bad enough for the roads if any white stuff does stick around. Fortunately, by Tuesday it's supposed to warm up into the 50s and a low in the 40s, so even if it does stick around, it won't for long. :) :) :)

Georgians and Carolinians... better get your bread and milk! :giggle:

Andria
And TP... I'm sitting there thinking WTF y'all gonna eat toilet paper sammiches and wash it down with spoiled milk when the power goes out?! :giggle::giggle::giggle:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And TP... I'm sitting there thinking WTF y'all gonna eat toilet paper sammiches and wash it down with spoiled milk when the power goes out?! :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Ours doesn't normally go out, just for snow, and only for a few minutes when we had an ice storm. Much to be said for living in a subdivision very close to town.

And fortunately we just did our grocery shopping earlier in the week, so we're good on TP *and* food. Though the mate is stopping at Kroger on the way home, for bacon and chocolate milk. Thank heavens we're only 2.5 miles from either his work or the Kroger.

Now it's just raining, so that's a relief. Still about 37 degrees here.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ours doesn't normally go out, just for snow, and only for a few minutes when we had an ice storm. Much to be said for living in a subdivision very close to town.

And fortunately we just did our grocery shopping earlier in the week, so we're good on TP *and* food. Though the mate is stopping at Kroger on the way home, for bacon and chocolate milk. Thank heavens we're only 2.5 miles from either his work or the Kroger.

Now it's just raining, so that's a relief. Still about 37 degrees here.

Andria

Every time I seen it snow here, we lost power.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
aa4f1060db3341059351eac8218a8f1d.png

Yellow dot is where I am at.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Every time I seen it snow here, we lost power.

You must be in the boonies. When I lived in the boonies near Cumming, Ga, we had the same problem, and since we were a freestanding house all alone on a road, we didn't get it back on till damn near everyone else had theirs back on... like, 3 wks later. :facepalm:

We're about 2 miles from the dead center of Lawrenceville, in a "pocket neighborhood", pretty high-density single-family homes, and a few duplexes, so even if the power goes off, it never stays off very long. WHEW!

Andria

VU Sponsors