ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hey gang. How's thangs for all you lervely fuggers?

I finally got a bluetooth speaker last night, part of my birthday present, so I can listen to music in the kitchen even though my PC is now in my bedroom. :) It's not *terribly* loud, but a hell of a lot better than the tiny lil speaker on my phone. So now I have terrific incentive to get all my music copied to my phone's SD card. :)

Andria

:confetti:Happy Birthday!!!:confetti:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Afternoon fugee's and GFY :)

Had some pork chops curing with that buckboard bacon stuff I picked up and and decided to smoke them last night. Without a doubt the best damn pork chops I ever had in my life. Cant wait to try out the pork loins still curing in the fridge. Few more days on them yet. They should be like a canadian bacon.

Praise baby Jebus & pass the rayon! I enjoy using it because there's no wick taste. Do need to try cotton though ... sometime. Did use Readi-X for a while until I thought about ceramic enter my lungs. I'm sure it is probably fairly safe. Also sure I'd rather not be the dunce to find it unsafe.

Try the latest version of Ubuntu. It can be set up to very much emulate everything you do in Windows. You can even keep most of your Windows data, pictures, music, videos, most documents. Also, if you need to use any extra Windows only programs Wine will allow for setting up a Windows virtual machine of sorts which allows running Windows in Linux.

Rayon always reminded me of soybeans for the first few hours of vaping it, but that went away quickly.

I always thought Windoze copied off of Ubuntu when they came out with Win8-10. I usually recommend Mint because it is built on Ubuntu/debian framework and everything Ubintu works for it. To me it seems a lot easier transition because its appearance is a lot more like Win 7 and before which people seem more comfortable with.

I'm just not up for a full-on switch of operating system. I used to get my jollies on shit like that, but nowadays... I'm just too tired. :giggle: I'll endure Winblows because it's what I know, it doesn't take any special effort except to give it a reboot sometimes when misbehaving... and photoshop works in it... and no, I didn't pay for my photoshop, and I'm sure as shit not up for buying a $700 program just so I can run it in Linux.

Andria

I dont blame you for not wanting to switch. Like most people, your comfortable with what you have and that is ok. If you ever do decide to try it out, the Linux Mint free download versions comes with Gimp editor which is from all accounts I seen just as powerful as photoshop and comes free with the install.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I dont blame you for not wanting to switch. Like most people, your comfortable with what you have and that is ok. If you ever do decide to try it out, the Linux Mint free download versions comes with Gimp editor which is from all accounts I seen just as powerful as photoshop and comes free with the install.

I've tried gimp... in some ways, it's ok -- and it can do at least one thing that I've never learned to do in photoshop, the "reflection" type shadow -- but it's really not near the editor that photoshop is, PLUS, I have YEARS of experience with photoshop -- which has a fairly steep learning curve -- so in photoshop, I'm comfortable, I can do edits in MINUTES that would take HOURS in any other editor, simply because of familiarity and experience.

I used to do that OS switching thing like it was no big deal... I even once switched entirely to OS/2.... but I'm just not the geek I used to be; I really don't care to spend hours on PC-geeking, though I used to fucking love it -- the novel factor has more than worn off. ;) I don't even do web design anymore, though if I was going to geek, that would be my preferred venue -- I LOVE the designing! Or at least, I DID... the enjoyment of that kinda wore off too; Joomla! gets updated so farking often, and my design site got hacked so farking much, I got sick of it right around the time I got enthralled with vaping and started spending every waking minute at ECF. :giggle:

Lately it's just been "Home Improvement", housework, "shopaholic," and trying to reign in my anticipation of my son coming home. :)

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Gimp will not do CMYK printing if you need to.
You can't beat Photoshop. :)

Yeah, and one of the great things in photoshop is that the color picker shows hex *and* decimal RGB, H/S/L, and CMYK values right on the same dialog... it's truly awesome. I'm more accustomed to hex colors, from web design, but JASC paintshop pro (which I run for its screen-grabbing feature) uses only decimal RGB, so it's very useful to have an interface in photoshop that can interpret those colors to hex. Gimp will handle layers, but weirdly, not in the same way that Photoshop handles layers -- I'd probably have to devote the same number of years to Gimp as I did to photoshop, to figure it out. I've had some version of Photoshop since.. hmm, I dunno... 2003-ish? Something like that.

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So - getting that VooPoo Drag I "won" is indeed turning into a real drag

The contest sponsor insisted on sending the mod DHL instead of USPS. Tracking showed it was supposed to be delivered to my office yesterday.

Of course, it wasn't there when I showed up today.

Just found out there is no longer a contractor in my area that delivers DHL :headbang:

Now, DHL wants me to pick up that stupid VooPoo I won at their facility in Anchorage - 300-plus miles away - where I was yesterday, but not today, having already driven home last night :gaah:

Makes me really mad, because tracking shows that I - the receiver - requested it be held at their Anchorage facility - a blatant lie.

They can keep it if DHL is not willing to put it on the plane here. I am willing to pick it up at the airport here.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Had some pork chops curing with that buckboard bacon stuff I picked up and and decided to smoke them last night. Without a doubt the best damn pork chops I ever had in my life. Cant wait to try out the pork loins still curing in the fridge.

That reads as having been (going to be) very tasty, even to me. Imagining the texture of it and salivating. :)

I dont blame you for not wanting to switch. Like most people, your comfortable with what you have and that is ok.

I agree with this. My apologies @AndriaD, I will no longer suggest Linux as an alternate. Easy enough to refrain. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree with this. My apologies @AndriaD, I will no longer suggest Linux as an alternate. Easy enough to refrain. :)

Well, I've definitely considered it... and who knows, I may get bored enough and irritated enough with Winblows one day to actually set about doing it... but it's not something I really care to take time for, just at present. Mostly my Win8.1 has been really good, really stable, so I'm kinda perplexed about what's up with my machine lately. Maybe one of the recent updates is flaky or something. Or maybe I need to take the time to do a full system analysis and see what's what with it; yet another geek endeavor that lately I just haven't been interested in doing.

Just tonight, I was trying to replace an ink cartridge in my printer, which is not old or outdated, but everytime I tried to load the utility to do it, it would crash. fortunately there's an actual button on the printer which enables moving the print head to the "replacement" position. I'm pretty sure that's because of a recent update in the driver, which I installed after I moved everything in here to my bedroom and was getting the printer set up for wi-fi operation -- but the crash was happening even when I connected the USB, so it's the software itself, not the fact of wired/wireless. Epson's site could be a LOT more helpful than it is. :mad:

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You know what bugs me about any version of *nix over all these years? Everyone talks about compiling, diddling and twerking the OS, no one actually talks about doing anything practical with it.

@MyMagicMist sits looking off into the voids blankly, eventually he sighs and yawns realizing his day was long.

Ah, must have been all of those fully automated kernel re-compiles I needed to do. There was four of them and they took only a minute. No way it was the fifty users between my three web servers that needed backups, monitoring, install of of WordPress. No, that only took ten minutes. :p ;) :) :wave: :hug:

ETA: Being honest, no I do not host three web servers. I could if I chose though, quite easily too. It might take me oh, four to six hours to set the first up. After that, I'd automate near 98% of the process and only need to do about an hour of actual work toward setting the other two up. Ah, yes and that is wall clock time, not computing cycling time. I can compress computing cycling time easier than wall clock time.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Worked as a eunuchs admin for several years. For consumer use it is hard to beat Apple or Windoze OS.

For server or commercial applications unix wins hands down. Linus is same as unix only different.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
18620239_1840045529652027_2339751024507953126_n.jpg

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Looks pretty good to me the way it is.

I'm with Cromwell on this one - not a big fan of big gaudy names on my gear

The other side looks like a cheese grater with red reflective squares

But, in reality, it is a hard hitter, right in wattage mode. Virtually no ramp up whatsoever
Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 9.03.54 AM.png

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just passing through but I saw this over at ECF and thought @AndriaD might be interested.
https://www.eightvape.com/collectio...-book-tc-40w-box-mod-blue?variant=30280855238 I linked to the blue but it's also available in SS. Hurry though, there's not many left.

Hey everyone!!! I hope you're all well!! :)

Looks like white is all that's left, and I just got one of those. Never been a big fan of that sickly tiffany blue, but for $13, I'd have overlooked it. :D But another white one? Hmmm.. I might think on that for a minute.

Andria

VU Sponsors