Become a Patron!

Egrip randomly fired on its own!

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Joytech Egrip is the first non-clone device I've ever gotten. I purchased it because all my clone batteries had shorted out and fired on their own at some point. I was confident with the Egrip and felt better knowing I had a good device and didn't have to worry about shorts...

Well it just did it. Out of nowhere, sitting on the table it started firing. It crackled for about ten seconds and then shut off. I sprung up to find something to unscrew the rba base and stop it from firing but I was too late.

I have no clue why this happened... Never got the device wet or dropped or anything. Only used it for about a month. Why did this happen?

I got it from Myfreedomsmokes. Think they would refund it?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've had it happen with mine once, after being sloppy rinsing it out changing flavors. I let it dry out for a day and it's never recurred.

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I have found them to be a little "finicky". I've never had it fire unless I fired it, but, the only time I get leaking is when I am filling and especially if I fill too much. But, I love them (have two).

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had it happen with mine once, after being sloppy rinsing it out changing flavors. I let it dry out for a day and it's never recurred.
It could have gotten wet from cleaning. I don't know. Last night it wouldn't turn on at all after it fired on its own, but this morning I could turn it on. I'm still too scared to use it though. If it did get wet and short, would it recover by drying like yours or be permanently damaged?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the 1st versions of those were plagued with that problem,perhaps you got one of them ??
Where did you hear this from? I researched the Egrip extensively to make sure I was finally getting a safe device and never heard of this problem.

rolltidevaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I have 3 of the rj and other than a little leak when filling with the rba base they have worked perfectly. I absolutely love them. They are my take to work, out and about mods. I put them in my pocket and never have a problem. A very good vape for such a small device. I hope yours resolves itself. Hopefully its just from the cleaning.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update: it's been sitting for a day. Before it didn't even turn on, but now it does. I have the atomizer in there with some juice, and it works. I've been using it for five minutes so far. But I'm still scared of it firing on its own again.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It could have gotten wet from cleaning. I don't know. Last night it wouldn't turn on at all after it fired on its own, but this morning I could turn it on. I'm still too scared to use it though. If it did get wet and short, would it recover by drying like yours or be permanently damaged?
I thought I'd killed mine at the time but it's been rock solid since. The auto fire happened after it had become unresponsive. I was frankly happy that it did because I thought it was completely dead. I see that you said it is now working. All I can tell you is drying it out fixed mine several months ago and it hasn't happened since.

Last edited:

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought I'd killed mine at the time but it's been rock solid since. The auto fire happened after it had become unresponsive. I was frankly happy that it did because I thought it was completely dead. I see that you said it is now working. All I can tell you is drying it out fixed mine several months ago and it hasn't happened since.
I'm still uncertain if it got wet. When I clean it I put tape over the USB hole and the edges of the button and only get water on the tank side.

If it did get wet from that then Joytech has to rethink what they did. You'd think they would at least have used one of those rubber water resistant buttons and a rubber cap for the USB port.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't believe it was the USB or the button on mine. USB was covered with my thumb and the button never got wet. I think I just got too much water above the level of the threads for the rba. Of course forgetting to five click it off before cleaning probably didn't help either. Now I stuff some paper towel or tissue in the opening after cleaning to soak up any excess while I'm rewicking. That seems to work for me.

Last edited:

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I dropped my E-Grip in about 5 inches of dirty bath water. I snatched it up blew it out real fast, hit it with a towel and gave it a minute. First 4 or 5 hits taste like Irish Spring so I dumped it out and rewicked it and she is fine.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dropped my E-Grip in about 5 inches of dirty bath water. I snatched it up blew it out real fast, hit it with a towel and gave it a minute. First 4 or 5 hits taste like Irish Spring so I dumped it out and rewicked it and she is fine.
Ha should of had the tiny Irish girls dry it up for ya lol

"War,war never changes

Only The Means of Destruction"

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Did the Irish Spring have a good throat hit?:)

hugh janus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe interested in one of these. Does anyone know what the minimum resistance is that you can rebuild these at?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I had exactly the same experience with my first egrip. I even had it sitting in a box ready to be RMAd, and then it came back to life! I've never rinsed one out that way again, and it's never misbehaved again!

rolltidevaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Maybe interested in one of these. Does anyone know what the minimum resistance is that you can rebuild these at?
I own three of these and even with some little quirks I love them. You don't get the flavor or vapor that you would from other more expensive and expansive devices, but for my all day, I love it. I believe the specs say you can build down to 1.0 which is about as low as this little device will give enough power. But, I get great flavor and nice vapor with the 1.2-1.5. The stock coils aren't bad! You do have to break them in, but I find myself grabbing the Egrip at night when I have much stronger, temp control devices sitting there. If you need something very stealth I haven't found anything I like better. But, be aware, there is a pretty common leaking issue with the RBA. It's not enough to make me trash the device, but it is there. I've had no leaks with the stock coils at all. I carry it around in my pocket all day long.

rainidaze

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ah, the follies of advancing technology. We are pioneers here! Into the wild! I love it.

On a side note, when I worked for a small electronics manufacturer part of my job was to put the finished boards into a dishwasher (yes, like in your kitchen) to wash the flux, finger oil etc. off. After the dry cycle I'd unload them and hit them with compressed air to knock off any remaining drops and send them for final assembly in cases.

Just like a phone, if a board gets wet turn off the device and put it in a warm area to dry (at least a day) before turning it back on. Powering it while wet can cause it to short and basically fry it. Water is more deadly to a screen than the actual circuit board if the accident is handled promptly.

Vg on a board won't dry because it attracts water from the air, so would need to be cleaned off.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The V1 is 1.2 ohms minimum and the V2 OLED is .4 ohms minimum although I'm not certain the rba has the airflow to be pleasant at that resistance.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't believe it was the USB or the button on mine. USB was covered with my thumb and the button never got wet. I think I just got too much water above the level of the threads for the rba. Of course forgetting to five click it off before cleaning probably didn't help either. Now I stuff some paper towel or tissue in the opening after cleaning to soak up any excess while I'm rewicking. That seems to work for me.
I do the same, stuff paper towels in while building a coil. Although i don't understand why they would make the bottom threads like that. I'm stingy with juice and will always pour the last few drops into a "random" bottle used for testing coils before cleaning the tank. I don't like how half of the juice gets stuck in those threads when dumping it out. But i also assumed the threads to be watertight to the battery side, are they not?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do the same, stuff paper towels in while building a coil. Although i don't understand why they would make the bottom threads like that. I'm stingy with juice and will always pour the last few drops into a "random" bottle used for testing coils before cleaning the tank. I don't like how half of the juice gets stuck in those threads when dumping it out. But i also assumed the threads to be watertight to the battery side, are they not?
Well there is a definite gap between the threads and the base plate. How that's sealed I can't say for sure never having pulled the baseplate but I'd say based on experience not perfectly. When dumping juice or cleaning I try to keep the tilt to the tank side of the unit to avoid juice or water trying to head the other way until I can stuff it to absorb any excess. Whether that's absolutely necessary IDK but it's the routine I use now. Seems to work.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I rinsed mine out a couple months ago only because you all do.
I gave that up unless I see signs that I need to. So far no signs.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update: MFS was kind enough to send me a new one in exchange for mine. I'll update this post in another month or so if the new one also has shorting issues.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The V1 is 1.2 ohms minimum and the V2 OLED is .4 ohms minimum although I'm not certain the rba has the airflow to be pleasant at that resistance.
Not to mention that the eGrip would get quite hot since its an all in one and essentially a heat sink.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep, with a .4 ohm minimum resistance and the ability to easter egg it to a 30 watter it could double as a hand warmer in the winter. At least until the temp protection kicked in. :)

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not to mention that the eGrip would get quite hot since its an all in one and essentially a heat sink.
Mine is at 20 all the time and it does not heat up at all. And I chain vape most of the time.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mine is at 20 all the time and it does not heat up at all. And I chain vape most of the time.
What resistance? The lower you go the hotter the coil is going to run. Heat will eventually be transferred to the rest of the unit.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
At .4 ohms?
No! Sorry. Should have mentioned my builds are usually close to 1.5... I don't think the egrip v1 can take any lower than 1.2. Perhaps the Egrip Oled can do .4

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oops. Caught me editing. Zamazam was talking about the low resistances that the V2 would fire.

VU Sponsors