Become a Patron!

ejuice bothering throat?

Ok so I'm relatively new to vaping (3 weeks). My problem/question is do certain juices bother your throat. I'll give as much info as possible. I used to be a heavy smoker and i still have the occasional analog during this transition. I have all kinds of different flavours from different vendors and they are all low nic (7mg) they are either a 50/50 or 60/40 pg/vg blend. I use two different thanks. A aspire atlantis(.5ohm) and a kanger subtank mini (.5ohm). I usually vape between 15 and 30w depending on the flavor. So with all that info I use some juice and they are awesome and I can use them no problem. But others bother my throat. It's like a dry scratchy sensation. Is this common that some juice flavours just don't agree with you? Also even with the flavors I vape successfully I find I get the same sensation when I go to vape after my mod has been siting for an hour or so. Maybe the first 10 hits are dry and irritating and then it starts to work fine almost like it needed a "warm up" period. I tried giving primer puffs. But it doesn't seem to matter.

fwtechwiz

Member For 4 Years
Hi, welcome!! I'm new to vaping too, but have a friend at work who offered me some valuable advice. It sounds to me like your PG/VG ratio on your juice is the problem. PG is the ingredient that carries the throat hit. Too much PG and you'll get a heavy throat hit that can bother your throat, especially if you're vaping on a sub ohm tank. I have a Kanger sub ohm mini, using the RBA with a .6 ohm coil. My juice is a 30/70 PG/VG blend, and it's a nice, smooth throat hit and still has plenty of flavor. Try reducing your PG and see if it helps.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The dry, scratchy, is (imho) probably too high of a PG ratio, like fwtechwiz mentioned. From my experience, you can also get that from wick not wicking properly or irritation from an allergy to an ingredient in flavor.

Another thing that can happen is too high of nic level and not fully vaporized nic liquid (such as from using with low battery or gunky coil that's not heating properly) causing sore spots on tongue, in mouth, or in throat. If that happens, lower your nic level, make sure your coils is clean, change how you inhale so that it hits a different spot, make sure your batteries are fully charged, and it'll heal up in 4-5 days. I've had that happen a few times from low battery vaping and gunky coil vaping :oops:

Last edited:
Hi, welcome!! I'm new to vaping too, but have a friend at work who offered me some valuable advice. It sounds to me like your PG/VG ratio on your juice is the problem. PG is the ingredient that carries the throat hit. Too much PG and you'll get a heavy throat hit that can bother your throat, especially if you're vaping on a sub ohm tank. I have a Kanger sub ohm mini, using the RBA with a .6 ohm coil. My juice is a 30/70 PG/VG blend, and it's a nice, smooth throat hit and still has plenty of flavor. Try reducing your PG and see if it helps.
I should have mentioned. I've tried some 20/80 pg/vg and the same thing. It's not an allergy because this would happen with all juice flavors and not just a select few.

Last edited:

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
More pg = more throat hit.

Also could be the flavors themselves.
Citrus flavors give more throat hit then non citrus flavors. Orange will hit more then Banana or Vanilla.
The amount of throat hit from a citrus flavor depends on the fruit. Lemon will hit more then Orange.

Then you have non-citrus flavors with throat hit such as Cinnamon flavors and Mints/Menthols

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with Zaroba. I have found that even though I vape 3mg of nic brand to brand and flavor to flavor can be very different. Sometimes I'm pretty sure it can be harsh based on what brands of vg, pg and nic a juicemaker uses also. So my thinking is definitely different flavors will affect it and also the raw materials used to make the juice. So bottom line.......Find what works for you and vape it and the ones that don't work go in the I don't use it drawer lol

Some GENERAL (not 100%) rules;
More PG = more throat hit and usually a slight edge on flavor
More VG = less Throat hit (smoother vape), slightly poorer flavor carrier, but more vapor.

There are many variables such as flavorants used, device you are vaping on, Wattage, atomizer, etc. but generally, those rules hold true.

Go to a local shop where you can try a variety of juices, and try some that are as pure VG as you can get (you may have to ask). When you compare high VG to high PG juices side-by-side, you will definitely feel the difference.

Since I quit smoking over ten years ago, I don't like much throat hit at all, so I mainly vape as close to 100% VG as I can find. I'm lucky in that I live very close to an outstanding shop that has its own lab in-house and has some of the best juices I've found anywhere. They can make up anything you want in any ratio of PG/VG, flavors, and Nic percentage while you wait (they supply most of the other vape shops in the Orlando area, as well as many other shops across the country).

A good local shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck...

Some GENERAL (not 100%) rules;
More PG = more throat hit and usually a slight edge on flavor
More VG = less Throat hit (smoother vape), slightly poorer flavor carrier, but more vapor.

There are many variables such as flavorants used, device you are vaping on, Wattage, atomizer, etc. but generally, those rules hold true.

Go to a local shop where you can try a variety of juices, and try some that are as pure VG as you can get (you may have to ask). When you compare high VG to high PG juices side-by-side, you will definitely feel the difference.

Since I quit smoking over ten years ago, I don't like much throat hit at all, so I mainly vape as close to 100% VG as I can find. I'm lucky in that I live very close to an outstanding shop that has its own lab in-house and has some of the best juices I've found anywhere. They can make up anything you want in any ratio of PG/VG, flavors, and Nic percentage while you wait (they supply most of the other vape shops in the Orlando area, as well as many other shops across the country).

A good local shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck...
Unfortunately my local shop couldn't help much and wasn't very informative.... I got my solid answers and solutions from Google.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Another thought, you mentioned in the first post that your new to vaping.

Part of the issue could be because you are still getting used to the feel of the vapor in your throat or lungs, so might be far more sensitive to things that cause throat hit. Especially since you seem to have started out with an Atlantis and 0.5 ohm coils. Even if you weren't a new vapor, just going from a Nautilus with 1.6 ohm coils to an Atlantis with 0.5 ohm coils causes throat hit on juices that were fine in the Nautilus. The hotter vapor and increased volume of it will cause irritation until your throat gets used to the change. Since you are still relatively new to vaping, you also have the change in sensation from cigarette smoke to vapor to get used to.

Something I have found when a liquid causes throat hit is to take a sip of water first. It helps moisten your throat so it wont be irritated as much. If your throat is dry *everything* can cause a throat hit.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
More pg = more throat hit.

Also could be the flavors themselves.
Citrus flavors give more throat hit then non citrus flavors. Orange will hit more then Banana or Vanilla.
The amount of throat hit from a citrus flavor depends on the fruit. Lemon will hit more then Orange.

Then you have non-citrus flavors with throat hit such as Cinnamon flavors and Mints/Menthols
I vape 100%VG Velvet Cloud Melonomenon (actually contains some distilled water, but is stilled referred to as "100%) and get a good throat hit, as it is a citrus blend.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I DIY my juices and mix max VG and sometimes my throat will get a little sore.I have a herakles subtank on a istick50,I run at 46.5w because I like a nice warm vape.I don't get much of a throat hit if any.I wake up some mornings with a sore throat.but I know its from the warm vape before bed.hope it helps

"War,war never changes

Only The Means of Destruction"

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think @zaroba has a very good point about the OP being a a new Vaper. My throat was soar and irritated for the first few weeks I vaped. Drinking lots of water and Higher VG Juice was the only thing that helped.

Good Luck getting off the Analogs!!!

VU Sponsors