Become a Patron!

Eliminating the urge to smoke

Hi all, so with VU members' help I settled on what seems like a winner starting vape combination (CF4+ 70W VV/VW mod, NautilusMini tank w/1.8Ohm BVC coils @ 8W; 50/50 1.2% juice with MTL hits) and got over the always-coughing issue which iSubG/0.5Ohm was causing. Been using this setup about a week and enjoy the vaping immensely - down from 30 cigarettes a day to 12-14. Tried several flavors and found a couple I really like, but my problem is it's not *quite* satisfying enough to quit going outside for smokes entirely.

I know there are many variables and everybody's tastes are different. Any ideas on how I could make the last jump and cut out smoking entirely? Increase wattage/voltage, nic levels, 1.5 instead of 1.8 coils? Ask the vape shop to mix in more VG or PG to the mixture?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your nicotine is pretty low. If you add more VG, throat hit may be reduced...
I quit smoking with a fixed voltage eGo and 2.5 ohm coils with 2.4% nic...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agree with the above. I easily kicked a 40-year pack a day habit starting out with 18mg/ml nic on a cigalike and then ego-type gear (Halo). Some people need even more, and some less, but don't be afraid to increase your nic level to start with.

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i agree nic is low. i was using 9mg with my mini

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wasn't "satisfied" till I went to a 30mg nic. :eek:....that's what got me to quit, though I certainly don't advise that for everyone. That's just what it took for me to stop craving analogs. And no, I wasn't sub ohming. I cut back to a 24mg a couple months after that, then 18mg a couple months after that, and so on till I'm finally down to 3mg today. Took a year, but I haven't smoked in 15 months.
Part of it I had to realize was a matter of self discipline. For the first month, I still craved cigarettes but I just had to set it in my head that if I was gonna do this, then this was the way it was gonna be. I stopped buying cigs and I stopped going outside with my smoking buddies. I avoided all the places I new I'd smell it whenever I could. That worked for me, others' experiences may vary.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wasn't "satisfied" till I went to a 30mg nic. :eek:....that's what got me to quit, though I certainly don't advise that for everyone. That's just what it took for me to stop craving analogs. And no, I wasn't sub ohming. I cut back to a 24mg a couple months after that, then 18mg a couple months after that, and so on till I'm finally down to 3mg today. Took a year, but I haven't smoked in 15 months.
Part of it I had to realize was a matter of self discipline. For the first month, I still craved cigarettes but I just had to set it in my head that if I was gonna do this, then this was the way it was gonna be. I stopped buying cigs and I stopped going outside with my smoking buddies. I avoided all the places I new I'd smell it whenever I could. That worked for me, others' experiences may vary.
I once had to make 48mg/ml for a friend who was trying to quite smoking and was having a nic fit LOL It worked:eek:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I once had to make 48mg/ml for a friend who was trying to quite smoking and was having a nic fit LOL It worked:eek:
Holy crap! How would you taste the JUICE??? :eek:....Lol! Yeah, one of the guys who runs the b&m in my hometown started on 50mg, but down to 0 today. Quite an accomplishment!

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started with 48 mg but of course that was with earlier generation equipment too ... I don't see how anybody could use that level with the kind of gear that is available today.

Same here.
48mg (4.8%) in the morning to get rid of the need of a smoke with the coffee, then 36mg (3.6%) the rest of the day, dripping on the old basic 510 atty's.

It was a gradual thing for me. I smoked a pack and a half a day and first ventured into vaping with 18mg juice. As a I tried more flavors and figured out what I liked, I still smoked, just WAY less. I went from No vaping + a pack a day TO vaping + a 1/2 pack a day TO vaping + one morning cigarette TO just vaping. Don't feel the need to quit all at once. It will happen over time as you figure things out.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I also started with 24mg nic with a gas station POS pen. I smoked 2 pk a day for 50 years. Every time I had an urge to smoke a cig I'd pick up the vape and after a few hits I didn't what a cig because I got my nic fix. A lot of it for me was the ceremony of smoking that I quickly replaced with vaping. So like others said try raising your nic level and see if that does it for you.

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was a gradual thing for me. I smoked a pack and a half a day and first ventured into vaping with 18mg juice. As a I tried more flavors and figured out what I liked, I still smoked, just WAY less. I went from No vaping + a pack a day TO vaping + a 1/2 pack a day TO vaping + one morning cigarette TO just vaping. Don't feel the need to quit all at once. It will happen over time as you figure things out.
This is what I did too. I never said "I'm just not going to smoke at all" I just slowly dropped until I didn't feel the need to drag my lazy ass outside. I also don't smoke in my car so that helps a great deal since my job requires lots and lots of travel.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I used crazy-high nic and vaped like a chimney, including in places I'd never smoke a cig. I made a deal with myself to vape all day and I could smoke 1 cig, outside, at night, til the pack I had was gone. It was a pretty painless transition, but it was hard to see me through the fog for a while.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I started with 24mg on a sub ohm rig, and dropped to 18mg after a couple of weeks, and stayed there until I started getting Nic headaches, then bought some 12 and mixed it with the 18 for a week or two, now I'm down to 12. I, like Huckleberried, left my manuals in the truck, and everytime I felt the urge, I chain vaped for a few minutes. I still have that same pack of smokes, and it's been 3 months. I'm not ready to throw them out, as they still serve as a reminder. I was a pack+ a day smoker for 33yrs. I had to get serious and drop the manuals completely. Like Mr Miyagi said do or do not, but now that I do, I am healthier and happier. Increase your Nic level and drop the manuals, it will get better, I promise. :)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hi all, so with VU members' help I settled on what seems like a winner starting vape combination (CF4+ 70W VV/VW mod, NautilusMini tank w/1.8Ohm BVC coils @ 8W; 50/50 1.2% juice with MTL hits) and got over the always-coughing issue which iSubG/0.5Ohm was causing. Been using this setup about a week and enjoy the vaping immensely - down from 30 cigarettes a day to 12-14. Tried several flavors and found a couple I really like, but my problem is it's not *quite* satisfying enough to quit going outside for smokes entirely.

I know there are many variables and everybody's tastes are different. Any ideas on how I could make the last jump and cut out smoking entirely? Increase wattage/voltage, nic levels, 1.5 instead of 1.8 coils? Ask the vape shop to mix in more VG or PG to the mixture?

I'd suggest just giving it a while; I dual-used for about a month when I first started vaping, with the number I smoked each day going steadily down; after 3 wks, I was at 3 a day, and by the end of the next week, I was down to one a day -- finally I just figured that I could deal with just one cigarette a day, I could probably deal just fine without it too -- and I was right.

I made it a game; I kept a tally of every one I smoked each day, and tried to smoke fewer the next day, or at least, not more -- and it worked really well, competing with myself, announcing "today's low" to my husband every day when he got home from work. But the gradually-less smoking got really effective once I was down to less than 5 per day -- my sense of smell started coming back, and I could smell how really stinky they were, and how they made my hands stink. After that, I started noticing that I got more TH from my vape than my cigarettes... then it was just a matter of time, a few days, and I had smoked till I was just sick of it. Once you realize that you actually *prefer* vaping to smoking, it's not hard at all.

Andria

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wasn't able to 100% quit until I got a good subtank no leaks that could give a good throat hit. I needed a 100w box and subohm coils with 6mg juice that did it for me easily.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Many people are quiting with the uwell crown tank and a 100w box easily. I got 3 friends that setup and they haven't even thought about a cig since.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to embrace the 'game' as Andria put it - track how many analogs I smoke each day on my wall calendar (both above my home desk and work desk), and under no circumstances smoke *more* than the previous day. Since I'm already down to 10, it shouldn't take that long to run this down!

At the same time, I decided that if I was going to get serious about this vaping thing my hardware is OK for now - but I need to spend a little real money on quality juice. Neither my wife or myself were truly satisfied with the local vape shop's mixed-in-front of you juices; probably because we didn't let them steep? Anyhow, I bought a bottle of 12mg Mother's Milk the shop had in their case and WOW what a difference! I hear that MBV's MooJuice (strawberry custard) is very comparable to this - plus you can set the VG/PG ratio, nic level, and extra-flavor-shots as you like, so I ordered 30ml of higher-nic too. I'm kind of hoping MooJuice works out, because you can get it in ridiculously large 236ml bottles and then I'd be set for ages!

Skiibo4200 - I have 2 iSubG tanks and a dozen 0.5 coils as well as a 70W box mod, which is more than the 0.5's are rated for. However, found that way too harsh for my new-vaper lungs and had to move up to 1.8Ohm for a while. At least till I get healthier.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I quite smoking on a EGO as well at 24mg NIC so it can be done.. I still smoked similar to you for about 2 weeks I did have to move to 32mg to totally quit but it is rare to find that MG without DIY...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to embrace the 'game' as Andria put it - track how many analogs I smoke each day on my wall calendar (both above my home desk and work desk), and under no circumstances smoke *more* than the previous day. Since I'm already down to 10, it shouldn't take that long to run this down!

Very true! But don't be too hard on yourself; it really is best to just let your mind get used to it, get over it, get really sick of it, and that way when you do finally make the complete switch, you don't feel deprived, so you don't feel resentful and stressed -- actually you feel relieved, to find it was so easy to do something that previously had been so hard. I smoked for 39 yrs, and had tried many times before to quit, so I didn't go into it with a lot of expectations, just "let's see how this works..." kind of attitude -- I was amazed at how beautifully it worked! But after having a habit for such a long time, it can take a little while to let your mind get used to something else in its place. For me, any pressure was totally counterproductive, because all that would do is make me resentful, and VERY stressed -- not the best frame of mind for giving up one's old friend and stress reliever! ;) But that's why I took my time, let my mind gradually understand that vaping really was better. I made a choice, of my own free will -- still got the last pk in a ziplock in my freezer, right behind my nic stash -- so I always have a choice -- I choose to vape!

At the same time, I decided that if I was going to get serious about this vaping thing my hardware is OK for now - but I need to spend a little real money on quality juice. Neither my wife or myself were truly satisfied with the local vape shop's mixed-in-front of you juices; probably because we didn't let them steep? Anyhow, I bought a bottle of 12mg Mother's Milk the shop had in their case and WOW what a difference! I hear that MBV's MooJuice (strawberry custard) is very comparable to this - plus you can set the VG/PG ratio, nic level, and extra-flavor-shots as you like, so I ordered 30ml of higher-nic too. I'm kind of hoping MooJuice works out, because you can get it in ridiculously large 236ml bottles and then I'd be set for ages!

Skiibo4200 - I have 2 iSubG tanks and a dozen 0.5 coils as well as a 70W box mod, which is more than the 0.5's are rated for. However, found that way too harsh for my new-vaper lungs and had to move up to 1.8Ohm for a while. At least till I get healthier.

It's good if you have hardware that suits you, and especially, ejuice -- I quit with a cigalike, an eRoll, but I had to find a juice that tasted a lot like my cigarettes, to be able to make the switch -- but everyone is vastly different, because taste is so subjective -- some want something close to the old cigarette taste, some want something completely different -- whatever works for YOU, that's the right thing.

Andria

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The best thing to do IMO is to vape A LOT. Every trigger event that makes you want a cigarette you should be grabbing your vape instead. Trigger events are things like your morning coffee, getting in the car, answering a phone call, walking the dog, the end of a meal... Etc. All of these little everyday things where we would normally smoke, you MUST vape first. Take a few nice drags off your vape and wait 3-5 minutes. If you still feel like you need a cigarette, have one, but you'll find eventually that you'll be craving the vape and not the cig. And if you vape first, the cig will likely taste nastier as time passes. This is called operant conditioning. You replace a behavior with another behavior that has positive reinforcement, in this case you get a strong nic hit and yummy flavor from your vape, and smoking will have negative reinforcement i.e. the awful taste.

A few days of this and the desire to smoke wears off and the desire to vape delicious e-juice takes over. You'll soon be scrambling for a vape at these trigger events and suddenly, you're a non-smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The best thing to do IMO is to vape A LOT. Every trigger event that makes you want a cigarette you should be grabbing your vape instead. Trigger events are things like your morning coffee, getting in the car, answering a phone call, walking the dog, the end of a meal... Etc. All of these little everyday things where we would normally smoke, you MUST vape first. Take a few nice drags off your vape and wait 3-5 minutes. If you still feel like you need a cigarette, have one, but you'll find eventually that you'll be craving the vape and not the cig. And if you vape first, the cig will likely taste nastier as time passes. This is called operant conditioning. You replace a behavior with another behavior that has positive reinforcement, in this case you get a strong nic hit and yummy flavor from your vape, and smoking will have negative reinforcement i.e. the awful taste.

A few days of this and the desire to smoke wears off and the desire to vape delicious e-juice takes over. You'll soon be scrambling for a vape at these trigger events and suddenly, you're a non-smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent advice! I vaped almost continuously at first, because at the SLIGHTEST THOUGHT of a cigarette, I'd just vape like a maniac. At one point my husband says "you sure do that a lot... like, all the time!" I just looked at him and inquired, at approx. 100 dB, "DO YOU WANT ME TO GO BACK TO SMOKING?????" :D He backed up REAL quick, and said no, no, no, vape all you like! As if I needed his permission or something. :D But it really works; if you respond to thoughts of smoking with massive vaping, eventually you start to crave the vape, not the smoke. Don't wait for a craving -- vape like a fiend at the slightest thought! Because it takes longer to get the nicotine from a vape than it did from a cigarette -- waiting till you really crave is doing yourself a huge disservice.

Andria

VU Sponsors