Become a Patron!

Essential Depot VG!!! Problem!

Nix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Today, I was doing a bunch of variation of one recipe that is (shake and vape!) to try to find out why my DIY taste so funky. I didn't use NIC to keep things simple. I did different % of VG - Flavoring - Distilled Water. The end result is pointing the problem with Essential VG. If I use less VG, I feel like the odd taste is removed and my flavoring is coming out better (still not great).

The best 2 results were
78% VG, 7% total flavoring, 15% DW
79.5% VG, 10.5% total flavoring, 10% DW (which taste almost the same as the above)

Anything that go over 80% VG, the flavor is muted noticeably and tasted really bad to my liking. How do all you Essential Depot users attempt to go over 80% on this VG?

I also found this thread, I am glad I am not the only one. http://vapingunderground.com/threads/what-vg-pg-is-everybody-using.7193/

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
PG is actually the main flavor carrier in flavors, when you up the VG ratio, sometimes the flavors get muted. I suggest trying MFS VG and cutting back on the water.

Last edited:

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never gone over 5% DW, usually 2-3%, and that's only if I'm using the maximum VG a mix allows. imo, if your VG isn't over 80%, you probably don't need DW - use PG to fill the difference after VG, nic, and flavoring. As much PG as you can tolerate will help flavors "pop" better. For me, I can't take more than 30% total PG including flavoring - the popular 30/70. A 50/50 mix tastes dry and like it needs sweetener with the same mix to me.

Nix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did use 80vg /20pg before with out DW. It does not improve anything. I am pretty sure my tests are pointing the odd taste to the bad batch Vg I got from essential depot. I just brought a 240 ml from bull city to compare.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bull City purchases their pg and vg from Essential Depot. Have you contacted ED? I've heard they have excellent CS.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No issues with my ED or BCV-purchased VG (apparently the same thing). I'm using max-vg, but PG-based VT nic and mostly FA/TFA flavorings, so 10-20% nic/flavor, 80%+ VG...I know this may not be directly helpful, just weighing in with personal experience.

If you think your VG from ED is bunk, maybe contact them and ask if you can send in a sample for them to test for possible replacement. I have no customer service experience with them, but they seem to be pretty well trusted (I'm only about 1L into my first-ever 2-gal purchase there).

Where/how have you been storing your VG? Is there a chance light/heat could've played a part in spoiling it?

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't had any issues with mine. What is the expiration date on the side of your container? How have you stored it?

The higher the VG, the less flavor. So if it gets high enough, it will start tasting like plain VG if there isn't enough flavor added or if it isn't shaken or steeped well. Have you tried vaping just the plain VG to make sure it isn't one of the flavors causing an odd taste?

Nix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will compare them once I receive it from BCV. I store my 2 gallon bulk side inside a cool and dark cabinet. My expiration date is 2017. I did vape the plain VG by itself, it does has that odd taste that was covering the flavoring. I did mixed it really well. Tried using milk frother; hot water bath and hand shake; only VG and DW; only VG and PG, all same result.

Nix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hot bath the VG by itself? If you talkin about hot bath the mix, I did that already. Didn't improve anything.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Both.
I warm the vg to make it mix easier. Then once added to nic and flavor just hot water bath it again.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try vaping the VG alone (you may need to add a little water) - a dripper would be easiest for this. It should taste just slightly sweet. Then try the PG - same deal, but less sweet.

Nix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I went home to taste my VG and PG by itself with my dripper. My VG is tasteless, maybe very very little. My PG taste sweeter than my VG. Is this normal?

Nix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
VG is less sweet than PG when vaping. If I put a drop on my finger, VG is little sweet, kinda like honey but way less sweet, PG just taste like bug spray in my mind.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Generally PG is less sweet than VG. But its been a while since I tried vaping them standalone! VG, though, does make mixes sweeter than PG.

mcginnis314

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Got 1qt ED VG & 1qt ED PGA today. Mixed it 50/50 (without flavor) and tried it. VERY funky taste. Will try both PG & VG separately tomorrow to find out which (or both) is causing the taste. Also, gave me a heavy chest feeling with shortness of breath.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got 1qt ED VG & 1qt ED PGA today. Mixed it 50/50 (without flavor) and tried it. VERY funky taste. Will try both PG & VG separately tomorrow to find out which (or both) is causing the taste. Also, gave me a heavy chest feeling with shortness of breath.

VG always does that to me - but it should taste clean.

mcginnis314

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Finally did a side by side test. Did 100% VG in one tank, and 100% PG in a separate tank. 100% VG was fine (no bad taste/no breathing abnormalities). 100% PG on the other hand.....horrible taste and made me start wheezing after the exhale. So I either got a bad batch (due to taste), or that's how it normally tastes. I'll have to try a different brand to see if all PG has that weird taste. But, I do know I have some sort of breathing problem associated with the PG. Guess I'll have to start using smaller % mixes.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally did a side by side test. Did 100% VG in one tank, and 100% PG in a separate tank. 100% VG was fine (no bad taste/no breathing abnormalities). 100% PG on the other hand.....horrible taste and made me start wheezing after the exhale. So I either got a bad batch (due to taste), or that's how it normally tastes. I'll have to try a different brand to see if all PG has that weird taste. But, I do know I have some sort of breathing problem associated with the PG. Guess I'll have to start using smaller % mixes.

Sure sounds like a bad batch - they'll send you a new one if you let them know. Very unusual for ED!

mcginnis314

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'll have to shoot them an email. They seem like a good company, so I'd hate to write them off for something so trivial as bad flavor (seeing as I will be using it with flavor concentrates for DIY).

mcginnis314

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Plus, it was purchased off Amazon, not directly from their website. So,any factors at play here.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you purchase it from them through Amazon? Or was it from a third party?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Definitely sounds like something's odd - I've had great customer service from them and good luck with product too...I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to take yours back if you didn't buy it from them, but who knows - worth a try!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You are most likely allergic to PG. Use it in small amounts.

VU Sponsors