Become a Patron!

Everything tastes like chemicals

Hi Guys, I'm a noob here so forgive anything stupid I say (type). I started vaping on an EVOD a while ago, but recently got serious about quitting smoking and made an upgrade. 3 weeks ago I upgraded to the Aspire Atlantis 2 with the CF MOD. I had 2.5 amazing weeks and am down to just a few ciggs a day, I was in LOVE with my new setup. A few days ago I started to get a bad taste so I replaced the coil. I primed it and dry hit it a few times and let it sit for about 10 minutes as instructed. It immediately tasted like crap. I assumed I didn't properly prime it for some reason and gave it overnight. The next morning same thing. Its like a strong chemical taste when I exhale (more pronounced when I exhale through my nose). I thought bad coil, it happens, replaced again and repeated. Still the same thing. I have changed my juice multiple times and visited a few different local shops. I read it could be a bad bottom seal, so I ordered a new one and in the mean time bought a back-up Atlantis 2. The shop I got it from primed and filled it for me and took some hits and said it was great. It was good for 30 minutes now all I taste are chemicals again...... WTH is going on? Is this a vape tongue thing or a sensory thing from cutting down on ciggs? I am losing my mind here. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post, I just wanted to answer possible questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All on the same liquid, or have you tried others? Could be you're burning out on that flavor. Would suck to get 2 bad coils in a row but that's also not impossible.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

Thanks for the replies. Are you guys saying that this will pass and strawberry cheesecake will taste yummy again?

I have tried a few flavors that I really liked in the past: banana cream pie (MBV), Strawberry CHeesecake (Vapor World), and Bunny Killer. The only flavor that doesn't taste totally like chemicals is Hawk Sauce (MBV), and I think that is only because the menthol masks everything.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did the bad taste originate with the first coil?
Is the first coil(s) the one that came with the atlantis?
Are the two new coils from a blister pack?
2 new coils being junk would suck but it's not uncommon. I had a pretty low success rate with the first run of kanger OCC heads.
They've gotten better but I still a few here and there.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Some coils do require a "break in" time. When building your own coils, you can bring the coil to a glow (before wicking), which also burns off any residues. That's why I usually prime the coil with juice, put it on the mod, without the tank, and shortly fire it up a few times, drip some more juice if needed, until it smells right.

In addition, it's always good to switch between 3-4 flavors over the day, in order to avoid the loss of flavor of a certain juice.

The coil that came in the first tank originally was great, flavor was good and the coil itself lasted about 2 weeks before tasting burned. I then changed the coil twice because of the chemical taste. The first coil change was the extra that came with the Atlantis, and the second was from a 5 pack. I bought the new tank yesterday thinking it was the bottom seal since I noticed some leaking issues. The new tank is still tasting like chemicals this morning.

Honestly I would be less frustrated with a loss of taste all together than an unpleasant one. I get frustrated with the chemical taste and smoke a cigg since it honestly tastes better at this point. I am trying to stick with the vape today hoping this will pass.

Smokeless

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All on the same liquid, or have you tried others? Could be you're burning out on that flavor. Would suck to get 2 bad coils in a row but that's also not impossible.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone
I love my go to flavor but if I vape on it too long it will taste very chemical.

I'm new too and I feel your frustration. Hang in there!

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I had this happen suddenly myself and did exactly the same as you. Than finally gave it a good clean and boom problem solved.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
  1. Everyone has given some solid advise. Hopefully, your taste has corrected itself. It can swing wildly as you work through the stages.

I have some great juice, that tasted like dirt many times during my first few weeks. I just grinned and bared it, until it self corrected.

Hopefully you're shaking your bottles regularly also. It continues to steep every day. So you can get some settling/separation. And that can cause flavor swings.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it was fine for 30 mins and then started tasting funky it's more than likely vapors tongue . It will pass, but it's very common when you start vaping! Try switching up flavors, drinking a lot of water, etc.

Thanks for all the replies folks!! I think it was vapors tongue. I have 1 flavor that I can taste right now so I'm good for the moment. I hope it lasts for a few more days then maybe I will be able to taste banana or cheesecake again :)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I love my go to flavor but if I vape on it too long it will taste very chemical.
I'm new too and I feel your frustration. Hang in there!
Thanks for all the replies folks!! I think it was vapors tongue. I have 1 flavor that I can taste right now so I'm good for the moment. I hope it lasts for a few more days then maybe I will be able to taste banana or cheesecake again :)

As I have mentioned already, in order to avoid vapors tongue, switch between 3-4 different juices during the day. In addition, drink enough fluids.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Call me cheap...but

I've always cut my Flavors by adding VG to every bottle I bought (to save money). Total reduction varies based on actual strength. But generally 30-50% based on volume.

But I also keep an uncut bottle of 0 nic handy.

If the flavor starts to drop. I simply add a few drops of the 0 nic into whatever is in the tank, to give it a boost.

And I've continued to use that method with the juices I mix. Reducing the flavor, for my daily use. And keeping a full flavor 0 nic bottle handy for a quick flavor boost.

I also use different Flavors, as an earlier poster stated. But not always daily.

KaoticKronos

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Quick question: Do y'all keep spare tanks for the switch in flavors? I've been thinking about getting another setup and that would seem simple to just keep tanks with juice in them.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Quick question: Do y'all keep spare tanks for the switch in flavors? I've been thinking about getting another setup and that would seem simple to just keep tanks with juice in them.

I have 2. They're both Kangers, red O-rings on 1, black on the other. It keeps life simple ;)

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi Guys, I'm a noob here so forgive anything stupid I say (type). I started vaping on an EVOD a while ago, but recently got serious about quitting smoking and made an upgrade. 3 weeks ago I upgraded to the Aspire Atlantis 2 with the CF MOD. I had 2.5 amazing weeks and am down to just a few ciggs a day, I was in LOVE with my new setup. A few days ago I started to get a bad taste so I replaced the coil. I primed it and dry hit it a few times and let it sit for about 10 minutes as instructed. It immediately tasted like crap. I assumed I didn't properly prime it for some reason and gave it overnight. The next morning same thing. Its like a strong chemical taste when I exhale (more pronounced when I exhale through my nose). I thought bad coil, it happens, replaced again and repeated. Still the same thing. I have changed my juice multiple times and visited a few different local shops. I read it could be a bad bottom seal, so I ordered a new one and in the mean time bought a back-up Atlantis 2. The shop I got it from primed and filled it for me and took some hits and said it was great. It was good for 30 minutes now all I taste are chemicals again...... WTH is going on? Is this a vape tongue thing or a sensory thing from cutting down on ciggs? I am losing my mind here. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post, I just wanted to answer possible questions.

Ive had a couple of these vertical coil type, sub ohm tanks. The atlantis v2, arctic, and subtank to be exact (Ive tried the vertical coils in the subtank also).
What I found was very discouraging. The replacement coils in many cases taste like shit.
First off fhe wicking material is very very dense and does not saturate quickly. Im skeptical that after ten minutes its as wet as it needs to be. Also, it seems that the coil can be really really tight against the wicking material, which will make a bad taste also.
The best luck ive had with these factory coils is when ive let them sit overnight. I have never bought one of these sub ohm coils, primed it, waited ten minutes and had a good experience, well ok once, but it was a horizontal coil on a subtank.

One easy fix ive found to work is to push out on the coils with a screwdriver and kinda squish the wick back and forth. This evens out tight spots between the coil and the wick. Do it gently and youll see the coil move slightly from side to side.

The other fix, tear the mutherfucker apart and rebuild it. There is just something lacking with the way these factory made coils perform, rebuilds with REAL NORMAL COTTON tend to work much much better. There are great vids on doing this, heres on of my favorites, with an easy build that works for me. PS, royal wire is nichrome80, but you can use kanthal like I did.

VU Sponsors