Become a Patron!

Evolv to release DNA75 w Board?

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It came to light from a Reddit Post yesterday afternoon that HCigar violated their NDA and leaked at the TPE in Las Vegas via a product flyer that they were marketing a new mod that uses an Evolv DNA75 Watt TC Chip. Evolv has apparently finally decided to release a board for use in smaller single battery18650 mods!

No further information has been released beyond the Photo. Although the product Flyer pic taken at the TPE says it has output Modes for TC-Ni/TC-Ti/VW, it must be assumed that this chip will also be compatible with the very versatile Escribe Software Utility and utilizes highly accurate TCR curves for Temperature Control just like the highly respected DNA200.

upload_2016-3-16_17-47-50-png.539802
upload_2016-3-20_14-27-25.png

Great news for Evolv Fans vape at lower wattage who like smaller mods and Squonkers but were frustrated by existing LiPo battery dimensions and capacities necessary to run the DNA200.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've always wondered why they went from the 40 to 200 with nothing in between.
  • Squash criticism the DNAs were under powered and unreliable.
  • Prove they could do it better than anyone else.
  • Prove they were the technological leader in the industry.
  • Produce a vaping control board that could not only satisfy the desires of the vaping community but be used as the first research tool to establish and allow the first true clinical studies of the health effects quitting smoking in favor of vaping and the benefits of Temperature Controlled vaping technology in order to defend the industry against anti-vaping rhetoric and misinformation in the shortest time possible.
  • I imagine it does take considerable time for a small company to design, manufacture and test a product in order to bring it to market.
  • They seem to be introducing one new product per year over the last few years.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They had said; or at least alluded to, using the tech in smaller versions of the board. Personally I would love a little 75w dna mini mod, that were completely customizable on escribe.
Agreed, current single 18650 devices are a lot better than they used to be, however this introduction will serve to bring us much more reliable and customizable devices in this category. Once you use a DNA200, you find yourself wishing all your devices worked that way.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
that would be a no go for me, unless the mod offered a new amazing feature like Kanthal power boost

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My understanding is it might be a 26650 device.
True, but it is not the device itself that is the exciting news, but the Evolv DNA75w "Heartbeat" it contains that can be utilized in multiple designs and configurations of devices from multiple manufacturers and modders.

Last edited:

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, just about the right time we get new exciting toys, looking forward to that board

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
  • Squash criticism the DNAs were under powered and unreliable.
  • Prove they could do it better than anyone else.
  • Prove they were the technological leader in the industry.
  • Produce a vaping control board that could not only satisfy the desires of the vaping community but be used as the first research tool to establish and allow the first true clinical studies of the health effects quitting smoking in favor of vaping and the benefits of Temperature Controlled vaping technology in order to defend the industry against anti-vaping rhetoric and misinformation in the shortest time possible.
  • I imagine it does take considerable time for a small company to design, manufacture and test a product in order to bring it to market.
  • They seem to be introducing one new product per year over the last few years.

Good points, all I would add, and it might be the primary motivation;

Get a slice of the 200w market and Make Money. :D

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

ckone180

Member For 4 Years
$60 how? the two sites you posted list it as a $39.99? i hope the later is correct, this will make it a more mainstream board which will cause it to increase in popularity a lot and then the other vendors will have to up their game which will push the market toward more innovation and/or better prices, good stuff coming to vaping this year.
US Dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
no they can sue joytech et al for their single battery version mods

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
no they can sue joytech et al for their single battery version mods
What are you trying to say in English? Are you saying that if a USA company designs something, then patents it. That they should just look the other way when a Chinese company infringes on the patent without paying a licensing fee? I'm sure if it was your company, that's would you would do.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
would be cool to have it in something like the hanaone (but made well) that way you can run it in single or dual battery mode

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've read its a 75/133 board for single or dual 18650/26650 batteries. Was discussed on DNA 200 owners group on Facebook.
That would be Great. I would think if they intended this board to work in 2S mode it would have had 133w or 150w on that screen pic that was leaked.

It really would make a lot of sense to design the board for dual use in a 1S/2S configuration at 75w/133w from a versatility standpoint though. Evolv has certainly proven in the past that they do take these types of things into consideration in their designs so I'm not discounting that they did.

Are you sure that people weren't just saying it could be used with two batteries in Parallel?

Link?

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As far as I know, this is true from what I've seen.

I imagine it won't just be for single 18650 devices though.
I know I will get one when it comes out though, I love my DNA200's but I never use them anywhere near their full power.

Hcigar have leaked this, but I am 100% sure there is a 75W version coming.
I look forward to it.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
would be cool to have it in something like the hanaone (but made well) that way you can run it in single or dual battery mode
I was thinking something like an Evic VTC except with an Evolv 75w and have it set up so:
  • When you remove battery door the sled would have banana plugs for a second battery module that connects in place of the battery door with the plugs and magnets.
  • Same modular concept will work for a squonker section with a separate 510 if you have separate atty plugs in parallel with the mods 510.
  • Same modular concept will work for a Low Tank VTR style section.
  • Same modular concept will work for a Nebox Tank style sections with different capacities, atty & RBA Deck sizes (compact or full 22mm size; single,dual,& velocity decks), chimney sizes, etc.
Thus creating a very small truly convertible mod you can customize to your style and could separately buy any modules for you wanted to add.

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
What are you trying to say in English? Are you saying that if a USA company designs something, then patents it. That they should just look the other way when a Chinese company infringes on the patent without paying a licensing fee? I'm sure if it was your company, that's would you would do.
what i am saying is this
as I understand it
they have named the rx200 and cuboid in their lawsuit
a 3 cell and 2 cell version of what the dna200 was already doing

I am surprised the new vapor flask models were not named as well

but how can they say anything about wisemec or joytech coming out with a single cell version if their are no mods out with a evolve board in them that are single cell

By doing so this would allow them to expand the law suit to cover even more possible infringements

I am not an expert on patents. Personally I am not convinced their is a patent infringement. There may be or there may not be. My comment was not about if evolve is right or wrong in pursuing their law suit. Just pointing out a single cell dna200 version mod helps them in many regards including future patent protection if they win their case. Otherwise wisemec could just make single cell versions of the cuboid and a court may say that the single cell versions are different enough from what evolve was producing that they are not infringing on any evolve patent. SO I see this single cell version of the newest dna board not only as an opportunity to sell more boards increase market share etc, but to help them in future legal situations

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
what i am saying is this
as I understand it
they have named the rx200 and cuboid in their lawsuit
a 3 cell and 2 cell version of what the dna200 was already doing

I am surprised the new vapor flask models were not named as well

but how can they say anything about wisemec or joytech coming out with a single cell version if their are no mods out with a evolve board in them that are single cell

By doing so this would allow them to expand the law suit to cover even more possible infringements

I am not an expert on patents. Personally I am not convinced their is a patent infringement. There may be or there may not be. My comment was not about if evolve is right or wrong in pursuing their law suit. Just pointing out a single cell dna200 version mod helps them in many regards including future patent protection if they win their case. Otherwise wisemec could just make single cell versions of the cuboid and a court may say that the single cell versions are different enough from what evolve was producing that they are not infringing on any evolve patent. SO I see this single cell version of the newest dna board not only as an opportunity to sell more boards increase market share etc, but to help them in future legal situations
Very interesting, i did not know about the lawsuit but i was always thinking to myself that TCR-based Temp. Control in vaping was introduced by Evolv and then Joyetech and a BUNCH of other manufacturers started making their own low-end and cheaper boards based on the same mechanism of action, but so isn't the entire market doing the same? take the velocity RDA deck postholes for example, everyone and their dog is making velocity-styled deck re-buildables nowadays.

The thing is, where is Evolv Suing these guys? are they suing them in the US or China? because all a US court could do is ban the import of infringing products, but they can not stop the manufacturing itself because they have no jurisdiction in China, also, i believe that temp controlling metal based on TCR is not a new idea outside of vaping but i could be wrong.

Interesting stuff, i will check the details of the lawsuit, thanks for bringing that up.

F

fckaugust8th

Regardless of what they will do (Evolv), the bottom line is that they are pricing themselves out of the market. It is certain that they will be cloned, it is certain they spend a lot on development and manufacture. But if you stop and think about it, why is there such a discrepancy in pricing? Even at $ 30 per chip they make money (I guess, I'm not in the field). My reasoning for the price? the english company linked to above has a $60 retail price on it and usually retailers do 100-150% mark-up.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A 75 watt board that is fully configurable via eScribe is interesting. 90% of the vaping public won't go over 75 watts, so it's a fair option.

F

fckaugust8th

A 75 watt board that is fully configurable via eScribe is interesting. 90% of the vaping public won't go over 75 watts, so it's a fair option.
If that sucker works with the 26650 battery, I may just try my hand at making my own box.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Regardless of what they will do (Evolv), the bottom line is that they are pricing themselves out of the market. It is certain that they will be cloned, it is certain they spend a lot on development and manufacture. But if you stop and think about it, why is there such a discrepancy in pricing? Even at $ 30 per chip they make money (I guess, I'm not in the field). My reasoning for the price? the english company linked to above has a $60 retail price on it and usually retailers do 100-150% mark-up.
I guess that their extreme pricing is not to cover manufacturing costs and that of raw material, but to recover the investment in R&D they supposedly made, the cost of software, programming and updates of the Escribe software, but the question here, did they really invest in any R&D, was the idea of TCR-based metal temp control invented by them and did not exist before the DNA? i highly doubt so.

I wonder why they chose to fight this legally, instead of lowering their prices to capture more market share, didn't they already recover their R&D costs after all the DNA boards they sold so far?

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are many threads out there dedicated for discussion of the Litigation. Please use any of those threads to express your opinions on the Evolv/Joyetech Litigation.

Lets try to leave this thread a place to post or discuss any information, specs, etc. revealed about the DNA75 watt board itself so people can use this thread as a resource when considering merits of a future purchase without having to read a bunch of Off Topic posts.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess that their extreme pricing is not to cover manufacturing costs and that of raw material, but to recover the investment in R&D they supposedly made, the cost of software, programming and updates of the Escribe software, but the question here, did they really invest in any R&D, was the idea of TCR-based metal temp control invented by them and did not exist before the DNA? i highly doubt so.

I wonder why they chose to fight this legally, instead of lowering their prices to capture more market share, didn't they already recover their R&D costs after all the DNA boards they sold so far?
I Will Not Comment on Litigation but will point out that costs for a small company to design, test, develop supporting Escribe software utility, manufacture, distribute, provide aftermarket support and software updates must be enormous. Evolv is second to none in aftermarket customer support.

I bought a Hana V200 that the board failed on in the first month. Hana gave me the runaround for weeks on the warranty repair repeatedly telling me there was no record of my attached emails in their system. I finally decided to swap the board myself with a newly purchased DNA200 I had just received. Soldered it all up and as I was fitting it I had clearance problems. I grabbed needle-nosed pliers to bend the B+ wire where it met the board pad to provide clearance with joint cold and stupidly tore the B+ pad right off the board completely ruining a new DNA200. I opened up a trouble ticket with Evolv and explained what I did and told them it was entirely my fault for rushing the job. Branden himself answered the ticket and told me to send him both boards and provide him with the tracking number. 3 days later I had a box in my mailbox from Evolv with 2 DNA200 and two spare Large Screen replacements the very day Evolv themselves actually received my boards in return. I emailed to thank them and tell them they must have mixed up the packages as they provided me extra screens. Branden replied that there was no mistake and he sent the extra screens as they had determined that Hana screens were failing due to improper installation.

Not only did Branden replace a board that failed in a Hana product when they would themselves would not provide support, he replaced the board I told him I stupidly damaged myself, provided extra screens & shipped it all before even receiving the boards I sent back. I was charged nothing for this service and they covered shipping to me. Evolv regularly repairs DNA200 mods for people who purchased them from overseas vendors who do not respond to customer service requests usually at no cost to those affected. Not only that but they actually work correctly in temperature control. Nothing else on the market really compares.

In my opinion, The price of an Evolv controlled product is well worth the cost.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I Will Not Comment on Litigation but will point out that costs for a small company to design, test, develop supporting Escribe software utility, manufacture, distribute, provide aftermarket support and software updates must be enormous. Evolv is second to none in aftermarket customer support.

I bought a Hana V200 that the board failed on in the first month. Hana gave me the runaround for weeks on the warranty repair repeatedly telling me there was no record of my attached emails in their system. I finally decided to swap the board myself with a newly purchased DNA200 I had just received. Soldered it all up and as I was fitting it I had clearance problems. I grabbed needle-nosed pliers to bend the B+ wire where it met the board pad to provide clearance with joint cold and stupidly tore the B+ pad right off the board completely ruining a new DNA200. I opened up a trouble ticket with Evolv and explained what I did and told them it was entirely my fault for rushing the job. Branden himself answered the ticket and told me to send him both boards and provide him with the tracking number. 3 days later I had a box in my mailbox from Evolv with 2 DNA200 and two spare Large Screen replacements the very day Evolv themselves actually received my boards in return. I emailed to thank them and tell them they must have mixed up the packages as they provided me extra screens. Branden replied that there was no mistake and he sent the extra screens as they had determined that Hana screens were failing due to improper installation.

Not only did Branden replace a board that failed in a Hana product when they would themselves would not provide support, he replaced the board I told him I stupidly damaged myself, provided extra screens & shipped it all before even receiving the boards I sent back. I was charged nothing for this service and they covered shipping to me. Evolv regularly repairs DNA200 mods for people who purchased them from overseas vendors who do not respond to customer service requests usually at no cost to those affected. Not only that but they actually work correctly in temperature control. Nothing else on the market really compares.

In my opinion, The price of an Evolv controlled product is well worth the cost.
Thanks for sharing this experience, nice goodwill based support indeed, but the market appears to disagree with the Evolv's DNA value proposition since they vote with their Dollars for other manufacturers with cheaper boards, DNA could be the best TC board but it is the most expensive one as well, the majority of the market just want a good vape at a reasonable cost as apposed to a potentially excellent vape (after lots of tinkering) at an extreme price, i watched a video yesterday of the iStick TC100W by DjLsb on YouTube, showing the temp and power charts of the device based on one single TCR value and they are dead accurate right out of the box without any sort of tinkering, now the DNA could be 5-10% more accurate but it costs 400% as much and involve a steep learning curve, time and lots of tinkering to get there ... i think it is obvious what is wrong with this picture.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another problem with DNA-based devices is that most do not come with any longer warranty than $35 all-Chinese devices, 3-6 months manufacturer warranty, if the manufacturer(s) of these device can not guarantee they will continue to work after 3-6 months from purchase, how can a consumer be comfortable to spend 400% more on something that is not guaranteed to last for at least a year or two?

I am tech-savvy and a tinkerer myself, the ideal target consumer for such a product, but i have been extremely discouraged by the ridiculously steep pricing and the ridiculously short warranty, either cut the price in half or double the warranty and i will be instantly sold either way.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got it @Tpat591 ! You're a Evolv fanboy! No problem with that, go on bro!
If he is one, he would be the most objective and reasonable fanboy around, at least he speaks of an actual valuable benefit, if this happened to me i would like the company and board too myself, there are other obsessive-compulsive DNA200 superfanboys around here who would speak true fanboyism language all the time things like, DNA200 "vapes better" if you ask them how better is better they get upset and super offensive and can not even explain how, or "vape is more consistent" and if you ask how you measure consistency or how does it compare in % to other devices you get the offensive behavior again and they even go after you flaming you in non-DNA200 related threads in which they have no business because they never purchased and will never purchase any such device, they just go into these threads to get at you for criticizing their precious toy in another thread, they even go as far as saying "heck you can make custom screens", ok how does that help me with vaping itself? or consistency? and is it really worth that much? again no answer ...

I think our new friend here is not as obsessive nor as compulsive as the other DNA200 superfanboys we have in this section of the forum ;)

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for sharing this experience, nice goodwill based support indeed, but the market appears to disagree with the Evolv's DNA value proposition since they vote with their Dollars for other manufacturers with cheaper boards, DNA could be the best TC board but it is the most expensive one as well, the majority of the market just want a good vape at a reasonable cost as apposed to a potentially excellent vape (after lots of tinkering) at an extreme price, i watched a video yesterday of the iStick TC100W by DjLsb on YouTube, showing the temp and power charts of the device based on one single TCR value and they are dead accurate right out of the box without any sort of tinkering, now the DNA could be 5-10% more accurate but it costs 400% as much and involve a steep learning curve, time and lots of tinkering to get there ... i think it is obvious what is wrong with this picture.
Understood & agreed. I never owned a product with an Evolv chip prior to August. My TC experience started w/ Kangxin and Waidea Vaporflask clones. I own 3 Evic VTC, 3 RX200, Cuboid, and 4 Nebox as well. I understand seeking to purchase economically priced equipment to get your vape on and agree you can do that reasonably well with these units. I give Joyetech/Wismec a lot of credit for distributing some reliable, firmware upgrade-able, economical equipment and they have really done great things recently. They are not without their TC issues though and lack of control over preheat is an issue for me truly enjoying the vape.

As far as Evolv goes I don't know that I have reached True Fanboy status & never really could because I still own & use other manufacturers products. My experience with Evolv shared above made me appreciate them a lot as a company though and I bought more DNA200s. I have V200, DX200, VS200, Reuleaux, & ERM+1300 now. I respect both Evolv and non Evolv units for what they are.

I might leave the house with the VS200 occasionally but most of the time, the DNAs stay at home & the cheaper, smaller 18650 mods are in my pockets. I have broken a few by dropping them, knocking them over, or having them fly across the room when I hit them accidentally with whatever I was carrying on the job and know I can't call up the company and get any kind of support for them. What they are to me are Cheap TC beater mods to give me a vape on the go that I'm not gonna worry about too much if it goes DOA on me. I am interested in the DNA75w for that satisfying preheated vape on the go though.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another problem with DNA-based devices is that most do not come with any longer warranty than $35 all-Chinese devices, 3-6 months manufacturer warranty, if the manufacturer(s) of these device can not guarantee they will continue to work after 3-6 months from purchase, how can a consumer be comfortable to spend 400% more on something that is not guaranteed to last for at least a year or two?

I am tech-savvy and a tinkerer myself, the ideal target consumer for such a product, but i have been extremely discouraged by the ridiculously steep pricing and the ridiculously short warranty, either cut the price in half or double the warranty and i will be instantly sold either way.
DNA200 carry a 1yr Warranty with Evolv. Many HCigar VT200 owners who have problems send their units to Evolv to fix after HCigar does not respond & Evolv repairs them. That is pretty awesome that they care so much about the community to fix products by chinese manufacturers that don't return support requests especially when you hear that it was re-soldering leads to the 510 or another issue that had nothing to do with the board.

I know people that have gotten DNA40 boards replaced that were over 1yr old. I'm not saying everyone can expect that kind of support, especially if you approach them the wrong way, but I have heard of many pleasantly surprised and happy customers.

Last edited:

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
satisfying preheated vape on the go though
You can adjust your pre-heat on Joyetech products as well by choosing the max wattage setting to use in TC, if i use 120W for example i get that PUNCH at the beginning that Evolv is talking about especially if i keep my ohms unlocked, i get a serious punch and then it backs down, if i want instant ramp up without the punch i vape on 60-80W if i want to start at cool and rise steadily until i reach my temp limit i vape at 40-50W

You get the same results as with the DNA200 but the DNA is overdoing it and just duplicating their settings .. here is why:

- in Escribe setting your pre-hear duration to 5 or 10 seconds or whatever is not useful because in most cases you reach your desired temp in much shorter time, and since you want to reach your desired temp as fast as possible this setting is not needed or even effective.

EDIT: the pre-heat period ends when desired temp is reached this is the best and most logical timing method, no need for an artificial timer in seconds at all.

- In Escribe the specific pre-heat setting is only activated if it is higher than your max wattage setting, then why do you need a pre-heat specific setting then? when you can just set your max wattage setting to specify how strong or weak, fast or slow your pre-heat is? that is just a duplicity of setting that has no actual effect on the conclusion and is just a gimmick.

If you watch a live TC chart of a DNA200 device vs. a Joyetech device you will get almost the same exact curve using temp and wattage settings on JT vs. using pre-heat specific setting and timer on the Escribe.

Many VT200 owners who have problems send their units to Evolv to fix after HCigar does not respond & Evolv repairs them
I know people that have gotten DNA40 boards replaced that were over 1yr old.
That is really great and i appreciate companies that do that, but it is still a goodwill thing on Evolv's part, not mandatory, they could deny service at any point and they will have the right to do so, i would like to see official warranty be at least one year on paper so i know for sure it must be honored before i make a purchase.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can adjust your pre-heat on Joyetech products as well by choosing the max wattage setting to use in TC, if i use 120W for example i get that PUNCH at the beginning that Evolv is talking about especially if i keep my ohms unlocked, i get a serious punch and then it backs down, if i want instant ramp up without the punch i vape on 60-80W if i want to start at cool and rise steadily until i reach my temp limit i vape at 40-50W

You get the same results as with the DNA200 but the DNA is overdoing it and just duplicating their settings .. here is why:

- in Escribe setting your pre-hear duration to 5 or 10 seconds or whatever is not useful because in most cases you reach your desired temp in much shorter time, and since you want to reach your desired temp as fast as possible this setting is not needed or even effective.

- In Escribe the specific pre-heat setting is only activated if it is higher than your max wattage setting, then why do you need a pre-heat specific setting then? when you can just set your max wattage setting to specify how strong or weak, fast or slow your pre-heat is? that is just a duplicity of setting that has no actual effect on the conclusion and is just a gimmick.

If you watch a live TC chart of a DNA200 device vs. a Joyetech device you will get almost the same exact curve using temp and wattage settings on JT vs. using pre-heat specific setting and time on the Escribe.

That is really great and i appreciate companies that do that, but it is still a goodwill thing on Evolv's part not mandatory, they could deny service at any point and they will have the right to do so, i would like to see official warranty be at least one year on paper so i know for sure it must be honored before i make a purchase.
I'm pretty familiar with Escribe and I feel it lets me dial that preheat duration and wattage perfectly for my taste. I do confess to not being as familiar with JT control settings as I should be since their instructions are less than complete, written on a pamphlet so small it may as well be a postage stamp and often suffers from Chinglish Translation Syndrome.

I will look for the Max Wattage setting but I thought it only was available in Wattage Mode to simulate preheat. I usually use the wattage setting set to what I want preheat to be in TC & rely on my TC settings to drop it back down during the vape but live in fear of it dropping out of TC for some reason during my pull.

You requested the Warranty in writing:

upload_2016-3-20_6-31-3.png

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hi there.

I expect Evolv have made a fair bit of money back, but I guess none of us really know how much money went into R&D, and also with the amount of RMA's they have (Out of 4 of my DNA200's, 2 have had the chip replaced due to one just not working, the other reading in balance batteries severely out of balance, and as a result would not work).

Granted, these two bad products were Hotcigs, but since the Evolv repair, I have converted one to dual 18650, kept one as LI-Po powered, and they work perfectly.

They have sold a lot of units, don't get me wrong, but with my first RMA, it was done in one day, and posted back out the same day, the second time they had it around 2 weeks due to a backlog of repairs.

I don't know the exact failure rate of the DNA200, or how many have been RMA'd, but on the Evolv forum, I see nearly everyday at least one person needing to do so-if each time this costs them a new chip, as it has in my case, they are losing money there-plus the Escribe software, someone had to code/design that, which is another cost.

I am wondering exactly how well Evolv are doing if I am honest, I love my DNA200's, but out of all of my regulated mods, I have others that perform just as well as the DNA200, vapewise anyway. I know they may not be true 200W devices, but I don't ever use anywhere near that, and the manufacturers I find best, for a fraction of the price, are new Yihi Devices, and Joyetech. (No mention of litigation, I do not want to derail the thread).

However-as I have shinyitis, I know I will be getting the DNA75. I just hope for Evolv's sake it has less instances of failure compared to the DNA200.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WOW, lots of posts and most don't have anything to do with the threads topic. We have some saying other companies are TC is just as good made by someone who has never owned a DNA200 but yet some how knows by intuition they are just as good. Other posts suggesting Joyetech's are just as good but they have an output limit of 25 amps which I think is because they use cheaper components on the board. Cheaper isn't always better, sometimes cheaper is just cheaper.

Posts suggesting Evolv is pricing themselves our of the market. Think of what Yihi does, they have there premium line, the SX Mini line that uses the best components and retails at $200. Then they have their lower quality boards that have a lot of the same options, but don't work quite as good or last as long but are cheaper. Evolv just has one line, the premium line. I prefer it that way, there are plenty of other companies I can buy cheaper stuff from if that's what I wanted to do. Quality, durability, and cheap - Pick any 2..

PS Evolv's boards have a 1 year Warranty in writing. I believe Yihi's top of the line board have a 6 month warranty.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WOW, lots of posts and none have anything to do with the threads topic. We have some saying other companies are TC is just as good made by someone who has never owned a DNA200 but yet some how knows by intuition they are just as good. Other posts suggesting Joyetech's are just as good but they have an output limit of 25 amps which I think is because they use cheaper components on the board. Cheaper isn't always better, sometimes cheaper is just cheaper.

Posts suggesting Evolv is pricing themselves our of the market. Think of what Yihi does, they have there premium line, the SX Mini line that uses the best components and retails at $200. Then they have their lower quality boards that have a lot of the same options, that don't work quite as good or last as long but are cheaper. Quality, durability, and cheap - Pick any 2..

PS Evolv's boards have a 1 year Warranty in writing. I believe Yihi's top of the line board have a 6 month warranty.

Cheers,
Steve
You are so right but the NDAs have kept an iron lid clamped on the information flow. Think we were just killing time discussing Evolv after market support which I consider valid for the thread. Have you heard anything more?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are so right but the NDAs have kept an iron lid clamped on the information flow. Think we were just killing time discussing Evolv after market support which I consider valid for the thread. Have you heard anything more?
No, just what came out at the show in Vegas and the couple of UK vendors that have the chip as coming soon so far.

Cheers,
Steve

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WOW, lots of posts and none have anything to do with the threads topic. We have some saying other companies are TC is just as good made by someone who has never owned a DNA200 but yet some how knows by intuition they are just as good. Other posts suggesting Joyetech's are just as good but they have an output limit of 25 amps which I think is because they use cheaper components on the board. Cheaper isn't always better, sometimes cheaper is just cheaper.

Posts suggesting Evolv is pricing themselves our of the market. Think of what Yihi does, they have there premium line, the SX Mini line that uses the best components and retails at $200. Then they have their lower quality boards that have a lot of the same options, but don't work quite as good or last as long but are cheaper. Evolv just has one line, the premium line. I prefer it that way, there are plenty of other companies I can buy cheaper stuff from if that's what I wanted to do. Quality, durability, and cheap - Pick any 2..

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve-I get where you are coming from regarding this, I was just sharing my experience with my DNA200's, what I thought of them (I love them), but there are also other devices out there that perform really well.
Granted, they don't offer the level of customization a DNA200 does though, or a true 200W.

I don't think Evolv is pricing themselves out of the market really, like you say yihi make cheaper, more affordable Chips, but then have top end models that retail for around the same price as a DNA200 device.

It is true Evolv have just one line, and I like this-plus the warranty, I had 2 of my devices repaired by Evolv, that now work flawlessly and I love.

I did start originally talking about the DNA75W-which I am really looking forward too if I am honest. I don't use anywhere near the 200's power, so the DNA75 would be a great product for me.
I also love the way the leaked Hcigar is 26650 powered, I wonder if we will see an increase in 26650 mods if this becomes a trend for longer battery life?

I can't comment on Yihi's top end Chip, as I don't actually own a 350J, or the upcoming flagship. I know Evolv is 1 year, Yihi may well be 6 months. I think it should be a year though on a high end product, that costs a lot of money.

I don't think the comment was aimed at me though mate :), as you mentioned people saying other companies TC is just as good as Evolv's, yet they have never owned a DNA200 themselves- I was just replying as to why people may be speaking of this. If they have never owned a DNA200 correctly set up to compare to though, I get where you are coming from.

Will you be getting a DNA75 when it is available?

All the best, Conan.

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
DNA powered 75W 26650 device?! Yes please! My DNA200 mod I built is collecting dust since I own a VF Stout.
Feels wrong but my 4200 Efest 26650 perform absolutely great. Now theres a huge pile of 18650 devices and a LiPo mod Im not using at all :D

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi there.

I expect Evolv have made a fair bit of money back, but I guess none of us really know how much money went into R&D, and also with the amount of RMA's they have (Out of 4 of my DNA200's, 2 have had the chip replaced due to one just not working, the other reading in balance batteries severely out of balance, and as a result would not work).

Granted, these two bad products were Hotcigs, but since the Evolv repair, I have converted one to dual 18650, kept one as LI-Po powered, and they work perfectly.

They have sold a lot of units, don't get me wrong, but with my first RMA, it was done in one day, and posted back out the same day, the second time they had it around 2 weeks due to a backlog of repairs.

I don't know the exact failure rate of the DNA200, or how many have been RMA'd, but on the Evolv forum, I see nearly everyday at least one person needing to do so-if each time this costs them a new chip, as it has in my case, they are losing money there-plus the Escribe software, someone had to code/design that, which is another cost.

I am wondering exactly how well Evolv are doing if I am honest, I love my DNA200's, but out of all of my regulated mods, I have others that perform just as well as the DNA200, vapewise anyway. I know they may not be true 200W devices, but I don't ever use anywhere near that, and the manufacturers I find best, for a fraction of the price, are new Yihi Devices, and Joyetech. (No mention of litigation, I do not want to derail the thread).

However-as I have shinyitis, I know I will be getting the DNA75. I just hope for Evolv's sake it has less instances of failure compared to the DNA200.
The numbers have read read in the past was well over 200,000 DNA200 out in the wild with less than a 1% failure rate attributable to the failure of a board component. Many other RMAs occurred due to manufacturers damaging the board during installation or a failure of other hardware unrelated to the board itself.

I have heard they are up to the 4th generation of the board hardware replacing and upgrading components that were responsible for those failures.

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The numbers have read read in the past was well over 200,000 out in the wild with less than a 1% failure rate attributable to the failure of a board component. Many other RMAs occurred due to manufacturers damaging the board during installation or a failure of other hardware unrelated to the board itself.
Oh, well that is a very low failure rate indeed!

I believe then the issues I had, only with my Hotcigs, and not my Efusion or Wismec, were due to what you say, the manufacturer of the mod damaging either during installation, bad wiring causing issue, or other hardware like you say.

In my case, both boards were replaced-but I believe this was due to hotcig. Since I have got them back, they look a lot tidier inside, and actually work-which is the main thing.

But, 1% failure rate is very, very good-even companies like Sony and Microsoft have much higher failure rates than this.
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware myself of the percentage :).

EDIT:Sorry, I may have mistaken 1% for 10%, doing some reading it seems to be a 10% failure rate-granted this is reddit though. This, however, would bring them in line with other electronic companies-a 10% failure rate is still fairly low, think of something outside of vaping, the Xbox 360 original consoles, and the failure rate on them. So 1 out of 10, still not bad considering other areas of electronics-this 10% COULD be linked to what you mentioned though, such as manufacturers damaging the boards.
Also, the 4th generation of the board, that could well be true-I notice my newer, repaired DNA200's have a slightly green tinge to the screen, it is only noticeable side by side, but this could simply be a different screen in use or standard variation of the screens they use.

All the best, Conan.

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The numbers have read read in the past was well over 200,000 DNA200 out in the wild with less than a 1% failure rate attributable to the failure of a board component. Many other RMAs occurred due to manufacturers damaging the board during installation or a failure of other hardware unrelated to the board itself.

I have heard they are up to the 4th generation of the board hardware replacing and upgrading components that were responsible for those failures.
You beat me too posting that. You are fast on the keyboard Tpat :D

Cheers,
Steve

VU Sponsors